Roast Our Home Ground Disadvantage (aka the Ian Collins roast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kades_Dad

All Australian
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
(Can I first clarify that this isn't a knee jerk reaction to last nights loss. I've been meaning to post this for a while)

Are we the only team in the AFL that doesn't have a home ground advantage? I certainly think that this is the case. We are easily a 6+ goal better side at the MCG or any other large ground. Personally I don't think that we would of dropped our recent games to West Coast and the Western Bulldogs with the wide open spaces of the MCG to run into and use.

Ian Collins did sweet f#ck all during his run as CFC President, but his legacy is hurting our team for many years after he has been gone. It may cost us a premiership. (For the record, I know that Collins stepped out of the Etihad negotiations, but his influence obviously got us to Etihad).

I noticed that Carlton unsuccessfully tried to switch our game Vs Hawthorn to the MCG this week. This is potentially another home game that we could lose due to our unsuitability and lack of any advantage at our 'home' ground.

Personally, I would be happy to see the Carlton board negotiate our of our stadium deal and move to the MCG - even if it did cost us money and set us back financially a year or two. Our premiership window is about to open and we may throw away any chance we have at glory thanks to Ian Collins and his dodgy deal.

crane6

Senior List
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
(Can I first clarify that this isn't a knee jerk reaction to last nights loss. I've been meaning to post this for a while)

Are we the only team in the AFL that doesn't have a home ground advantage? I certainly think that this is the case. We are easily a 6+ goal better side at the MCG or any other large ground. Personally I don't think that we would of dropped our recent games to West Coast and the Western Bulldogs with the wide open spaces of the MCG to run into and use.

Ian Collins did sweet f#ck all during his run as CFC President, but his legacy is hurting our team for many years after he has been gone. It may cost us a premiership. (For the record, I know that Collins stepped out of the Etihad negotiations, but his influence obviously got us to Etihad).

I noticed that Carlton unsuccessfully tried to switch our game Vs Hawthorn to the MCG this week. This is potentially another home game that we could lose due to our unsuitability and lack of any advantage at our 'home' ground.

Personally, I would be happy to see the Carlton board negotiate our of our stadium deal and move to the MCG - even if it did cost us money and set us back financially a year or two. Our premiership window is about to open and we may throw away any chance we have at glory thanks to Ian Collins and his dodgy deal.
We looked tired and sore,playing 4 out of our last 5 games at Etihad is a factor.No doubt MCG suits our stye of footy

Kades_Dad

All Australian
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
mcg suits us better but our finals will be played at the mcg (maybe bar week 1 against a less popular opposition).

That's true, but unfortunately we'll probably go into the finals without the top four position / double chance due to our Etihad games.

HeziBarecket

All Australian
Mar 8, 2009
Yeshiva
AFL Club
Carlton
we all know Collo sold us down the road, but he had to do it because ******** Elliot made the shop totally bankrupt and destroyed.

Get over it, we are at the Dome, we have to just learn how to play it better, other teams do. Stupid excuse/

Graffy4242

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We have to play there whether we like it or not.

Yesterday was a Dog's home game anyway!!!

We will still need to play Away games there for Bulldogs, Saints, North.

Rather than complain about it we need to work out what we need to do differently to ensure we beat teams we are expected to beat when we play there.

crane6

Senior List
Jun 17, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
it's not an excuse playing 4 games in a month on concrete is taxing on the body.it's a fact you can ask any player.

Barry Zuckercorn

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jul 13, 2006
Parkville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
#StandByHird
Do we honestly think that great sides like Collingwood, Geelong etc would complain of a home ground "disadavnatge"? Seriously...

Were not a bad side, were just not a great side (yet, hopefully). That's why we lost last night not the ****ing ground.

it's not an excuse playing 4 games in a month on concrete is taxing on the body.it's a fact you can ask any player.

If it wasn't overly soft and spongy underfoot, it's now like concrete.
We hear it a lot and must take the players (not just Carlton players) word on it.

Don't know how much say it may have had for yesterday performance, or any other day for that matter, but the players much prefer playing on the MCG surface, no question.

Kades_Dad

All Australian
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree that we have to learn to play the ground more effectively, but does anyone dispute that we are the only team in the AFL with a home ground 'disadvantage?'

Big Red is back

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2006
Visy park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

Grow up.

The dome is a sensational venue the issue is our coach, team and players need to get better.

We need to improve.

Maybe we should make our home ground AAMI stadium as we never seem to lose there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back