Opinion Our home guernsey situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
I find it rather annoying that North Melbourne switched their home guernsey with their away guernsey this season. Supposedly it was because of the AFL not allowing us to wear our traditional Royal Blue shorts with our white guernsey, for 'clash reasons'. All North should have done was thicken the Blue Stripes, or perhaps use a more defining Blue, similar to the vibrant yellow on Richmond's guernsey this season. North should have at least reached out to the supporters before making such a change. I was hoping that next season they would come to their senses and return to traditional style, but are instead persisting with this 'reverse look' as though it is the norm of the club identity. This along with the annoying ass, 'modernized' version of 'So Join in the Chorus' played at every home game, really shows the clubs lack of respect for their history. I along with not so many other young North supporters are the the future backbone of the club. Enough is enough, stop 'modernizing' our identity, and remember that we are a hard working football club from the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne, not some plastic experiment like GWS.

Anyway, just something that has been bothering me all year.

A lot of graphic designers and marketing types get paid to make decisions about football club “brands” but don’t seem to realise just how much most supporters value the traditional identity of their club.

That said I don’t mind the gurnsey too much although I would prefer our traditional uniform.

A lot of graphic designers and marketing types get paid to make decisions about football club “brands” but don’t seem to realize just how much most supporters value the traditional identity of their club.

That said I don’t mind the Guernsey too much although I would prefer our traditional uniform.
I don't hate the new guernsey, but would much prefer if they could play in their traditional jumper. changing it is not a win for us, but is instead a sign of conformity and surrender to the AFL.

Your problem with the "modernised" song is actually a problem with the club's history as it is the real song. The truncated Fable singers version is not the real song.

Your problem with the "modernised" song is actually a problem with the club's history as it is the real song. The truncated Fable singers version is not the real song.
Hearts to hearts is supposed to be sung after a win, the fable singers version has been the song the players come out to for many years. There was no need to 'update' it for the sake of it. The Fable singers version has been played to all our of our premierships. It spoils our tradition that no other club in the league does, by singing the full song in the rooms.

Last edited:
A lot of graphic designers and marketing types get paid to make decisions about football club “brands” but don’t seem to realise just how much most supporters value the traditional identity of their club.

That said I don’t mind the gurnsey too much although I would prefer our traditional uniform.

Graphic designers are given a brief by the person or 'club' who employs them for a job.

Do you think some gun 20 year old designer from Singapore is going to know what the supporters want?

I'm not having a go at you specifically / personally - but the club's brief / direction they want to head in & signing off of the aforementioned is what this is all based on.

On a side note - I love the current home guernsey.

Graphic designers are given a brief by the person or 'club' who employs them for a job.

Do you think some gun 20 year old designer from Singapore is going to know what the supporters want?

I'm not having a go at you specifically / personally - but the club's brief / direction they want to head in & signing off of the aforementioned is what this is all based on.

On a side note - I love the current home guernsey.
I was actually thinking exactly what you’re saying, those “marketing” people at clubs (who would often have a background in graphic design too) rather than some random sub-contracter.

It's a situation?
Sure is.....

6fdfdc8c6de29f8b1d0e8d74e5c68488.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally prefer the mostly white jumper but can live with what we have.

I recall No Bull saying the players preferred the blue version. Maybe easier to spot out on the field?

I do find the idea that people who work full time at the club would have no idea of its identity a bit odd though.

I find it rather annoying that North Melbourne switched their home guernsey with their away guernsey this season....

.... Anyway, just something that has been bothering me all year.

Sin título.png

In all seriousness I think the new strip looks FAR better, both at the game and on TV.

Appeals to tradition are often a fallacy. People opining about the good old days, because their memories are cherry picked. I'm not sure the game was any better when it was only played on a Saturday afternoon in a mud puddle with blokes knocking each-other out whenever the umpires back was turned.

Our club has always been about innovation and improvement, always looking for ways to get ahead of the pack. The new home strip appeals more to kids because it looks better. That increases future market share.

Life is full of change, and it isn't always bad.

Imo the blue jumper looks a bit s**t, at least as a home kit. Nothing wrong with a white jumper, the issue is the AFL's bullshit clash laws. They need to learn from the english FA, where the home team can choose whatever they want and the away team must come up with a suitable clash

Just so we're on the same page. Are these out home and away strips moving forward? I read we couldn't wear the mainly blue with the blue shorts in home games. I guess I hard wrong.

Hopefully we stay with the mainly blue for home and mainly white for away. It's a clean look that makes sense. And I love the hooped socks.

21HaNM17AT1870.jpg

8503488-3x2-940x627.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back