List Mgmt. Our List 2014 - Trade, De-list and Draft - (keep it all in here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't down back where Everitt will play? Providing run Alongside Watson, jamo (mcinnes, white and Giles)
Waite is too injury prone
Casboult is better chf for now because he struggles right in front of goal
Henderson is a gem but he needs help and someone who has the skills and that's where thorp can be of use. Even if he takes an opponent will still be a threat and impose himself in games.

Either way we desperately need someone in this rookie draft

The club is currently running with a 38+6 list meaning that we have 38 senior listed players with 6 rookies.

The rookies are where we are putting project players or guys who (basically Scotland) are just cover for other players for a 12 month period. If we were to take someone from the left overs in the PSD, then our list would be 39+5 which means that we cant take 1 possible project player and we would have to include the salary of the guy taken in the PSD in our senior list TPP.. if we took him as a rookie, we would only have to include 50% of his salary in the salary cap and if things didnt work out over the course of the 12 months, we can delist him at the end of next season without having to worry about including his second years salary in our TPP for 2015... which is something we would have to do if we took him in the PSD.

Yeah I know the differences between taking someone in the PSD and the Rookie draft. My question was in reference as to why we would have the first "active" pick in the PSD if we chose to use one. This would mean every team between the GWS and Carlton wouldn't be accessing the draft, which sounds crazy. Would mean every other teams senior lists are full.

Yeah I know the differences between taking someone in the PSD and the Rookie draft. My question was in reference as to why we would have the first "active" pick in the PSD if we chose to use one. This would mean every team between the GWS and Carlton wouldn't be accessing the draft, which sounds crazy. Would mean every other teams senior lists are full.

I guess it's because you can now rookie list 10 year+ players and the risk (as Dram pointed out) is only a for a year in that case.

Not sure of my feelings on that, it seems a bit rich that we can rookie list Scotland knowing that he is likely to play every game if fit. On the other hand if the player agrees to this it saves another player from being delisted.

Some have mentioned Cornelious and Weller (to name just 2) as a potential pick up and, I guess it's to the clubs advantage to try them for 1 year at minimum cap cost.

So there you have it ........

It could be that we really don't want him or that we leaked it like Hawthorn with Garlett, so no one else will touch him and we won't have to use the first rookie pick on him.
Read however much into it as you want to.
I for one do not care who we pick and will support whoever is lucky enough to come to our great club.

disappointed to here the rumour that we've lost interest in mitch thorp especially when we can have him for nothing. Big strong marking forward is exactly what we need now after so far a successful trade period. Would fit in well next to Henderson and Waite. i really hope it's only a rumour
Oh boy oh boy. Roll on tomorrow so we can finally bury this thing.

We need a project ruck don't we? Unless we are happy with levi and sam rowe as backup for this year? Id be after a 205cm basketball project with a rookie pick.

I think we need another ruck on the list.
What time is the PSD/Rookie drafts tomorrow?
Agree - Darcy Cameron looks the goods. Wonder how many other teams are looking at getting a rookie ruck (I know Bombers are).

excuse my ignorance, but who is Sam Landsberger?

A footy journo. Not sure if I trust his word though - as said before, it could've been a deliberate leak to throw ppl off. No guarantees of our selections until tomorrow at 12pm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A footy journo. Not sure if I trust his word though - as said before, it could've been a deliberate leak to throw ppl off. No guarantees of our selections until tomorrow at 12pm.

That thought has entered my mind. Just like the Garlett rumours about missing a Hawks interview. I've got myself into discussions where not getting Thorp is beneficial to me and getting Thorp is beneficial to me. I'm screwed either way but you can get splinters if you sit on a fence.

Put together a Team Selection Draft based on how I think our team will look in 2014 (rookies withholding).

Automatic Locks in 22 (if fit) - first on the team sheet every week

Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Kreuzer, Walker, Simpson, Jamison, Thomas, Waite

Almost Locks (barring bad form/injury will line up for 22 games) - it's their spot to lose

McLean, Carrazzo, Scotland, Curnow, Garlett, Tuohy, Everitt, Yarran, Armfield

Fighting for Best 22 status - have work to do but will be given every opportunity to make it in 2014

Warnock, Robinson, Docherty, Casboult, Menzel, McInness, Watson, Lucas

Borderline Top 22-25 - Mainly depth players at this point - will be the guys pushing for games going forward

Rowe, Bell, Graham, Duigan, Cachia, White, Bootsma, Ellard

Rookies and Kids - not quite there, but should play a few games in 2014 if they work hard

Buckley, Cripps, Temay, Giles, Holman, Byrne, Sheehan

Don't think I've missed anyone - as the quality/form of players in the 3rd and 4th sections improve, the better chance we are of moving into that Top 4 bracket.

You obviously haven't heard that next years draft is chocka with talls and we're going to rebalance our list with ease.

Of course i've heard that. It was a sarcastic statement that didn't need a response ;) That said, we could have a draft with 20 Tom Boyds next year and there'd still be calls to get Thorp 'coz he's cheap'.

Put together a Team Selection Draft based on how I think our team will look in 2014 (rookies withholding).

Automatic Locks in 22 (if fit) - first on the team sheet every week

Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Kreuzer, Walker, Simpson, Jamison, Thomas, Waite

Almost Locks (barring bad form/injury will line up for 22 games) - it's their spot to lose

McLean, Carrazzo, Scotland, Curnow, Garlett, Tuohy, Everitt, Yarran, Armfield

Fighting for Best 22 status - have work to do but will be given every opportunity to make it in 2014

Warnock, Robinson, Docherty, Casboult, Menzel, McInness, Watson, Lucas

Borderline Top 22-25 - Mainly depth players at this point - will be the guys pushing for games going forward

Rowe, Bell, Graham, Duigan, Cachia, White, Bootsma, Ellard

Rookies and Kids - not quite there, but should play a few games in 2014 if they work hard

Buckley, Cripps, Temay, Giles, Holman, Byrne, Sheehan

Don't think I've missed anyone - as the quality/form of players in the 3rd and 4th sections improve, the better chance we are of moving into that Top 4 bracket.

Good assessment and I wouldn't argue too much other than to say that I think Robinson, Menzel, Watson and Lucas should be on at least the same footing as Armfield but whether that means they go up a rung or Armfield comes down is debatable.

What that does show is, as many have said, we still have significant KP problems. You only have 3 in the first 2 categories and, given our recent luck with KP fitness rates, leaves us very exposed.

This is why I would like to see us punt on Thorp for insurance in the rookie draft. As we've seen by the debate on him there are both positives and negatives surrounding this move, but I think the need outweighs the risk.

I won't be shattered or critical if we let him slip but I'd like to see that insurance measure taken.

I do think, looking at that list, that our middle tier is looking better than a year ago.

Does this mean we can participate in the PSD if we wish to?
Surely this would be a better option if there is a player we have our eye on, salary cap allowing it.

Rookie salaries don't count under the cap unless they play seniors and even then I think it is only half their wage for games they play plus match fees. Senior listers have a higher minimum wage. So even if the salary was $100k or $200k for 2 players taken in the PSD, that is $200k left to frontload on a senior players contract. $200k could make all the difference to keeping one of our free agents next year. This is especially prudent if the player we are looking at wasn't going to get too many games anyway.

I think that's how it works or at least it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back