Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Maple Leafs
Here's a summary of what happened during trade / delistings / retirees so far:

OUT:
  • RETIRED: Troy Chaplin, Reece McKenzie
  • EXCHANGE PERIOD: Tyrone Vickery (Hawthorn), Brett Delidio (GWS)
  • DELISTED: Liam McBean
  • DELISTED ROOKIES: Adam Marcon
IN:
  • EXCHANGE PERIOD: Dion Prestia (Gold Coast), Toby Nankervis (Sydney), Josh Caddy (Geelong)
  • ROOKIE PROMOTION: ?
  • DRAFT PICKS: 27, 56, 82 (897 points)
  • CURRENT LIST VACANCIES: 3 (39 players in 2016)

So we need to get to 42 players on our list for 2017. I'd imagine that we would only take 2 live picks in the draft, with 1 / 2 picks being used for upgrading rookies. Assuming we add no delisted free agents, that means we would need to delist 0 / 1 more player.

I really believe that we should be looking at a couple of the available free agents to strengthen our list. Here's the list of players who are likely to become delisted free agents, and their ages at the start of the 2017 season:

• Michael Barlow (29)
  • Xavier Richards (23)
  • Ricky Henderson (28)
  • Matt De Boer (27)
  • Clancee Pearce (26)
  • Jack Grimes (27)
  • Mitch Brown (28)

Our playing list is quite short. I know we've seen through the Bulldogs' success that you don't need to be gigantic to win a premiership, but we're seriously list on key-position players and tall midfielders.

I'd be seriously looking to bring in Michael Barlow and Xavier Richards on 2-year, 200k/year deals. They both get to come home to their home state, and .

Barlow's resume speaks for itself, and it's not like he's ancient age-wise. He provides a big body to protect our younger midfielders, and is solid depth at the very least.

Xavier Richards is an attractive prospect as well, given his young age and form in 2016. In 2014 / 2015, he was played as a tall defender and didn't set the world on fire. This year, however, he played every game for Sydney since Round 18, and was more than serviceable. He kicked 2 goals and had 20 possessions against Adelaide in the semi-final, and is only just starting to come into his prime. Again, at the very least, he'd be solid depth for our team. We have basically nobody available in the VFL if Jack / Griffiths were to get injured.

So, assuming that we picked both of these players up, we would have 41 players on our list (42 maximum). Given that I believe we'll upgrade Short, we'd have 42 / 42 our senior list. As such, we'd need to get rid of 2 more players.

Let's have a look at who is out of contract.

Jake Batchelor, Andrew Moore, Kane Lambert, Daniel Butler, Callum Moore (r), Mabior Chol (r), Jayden Short (r), Jason Castagna (r), Ivan Soldo (r)

Andrew Moore should is a near-certainty to be delisted, so that leaves 1 more.

I feel like we need Batchelor for backline depth, and perhaps a new gameplan is what he needs to get back to playing his best football. It's then between Lambert (25) and Butler (20). I'm not sure who I'd cut here. Flip of a coin, really.

What's everyone else's thoughts re: recruiting delisted free agents, and who else will be delisted?

I'd get Michael Barlow and then get him to bring over Fyfe :D
He actually showed good form last year before he got injured.

I'd also get Xavier Richards. He is young, so he should be one we look at for KPF depth at the very least if not a consistent contributor to the AFL side.

Draft Griffin Logue in the draft (if he is available at pick 27) and then we would also address our needs in defence.

That would be a list I'd be comfortable with heading into next year.

Upgrade Short and Castagna.
Delist A.Moore and Butler.
Use first two picks in National Draft - best available players.
Take Richards in PSD.

If he's already gone...maybe Henderson? Or Barlow?
I believe we should strongly consider delisting Morris too. He'll never be in our best 22 (unless we're crippled by injury) and his injuries will see him getting worse, not better. Cut him as well and use our final selection in the draft. Or take Barlow. He'll be far better than Morris. Either way, it's better than keeping him.

But I don't think it will happen.

We 100% need another KPD. Astbury and Grimes will get injured and all we have to replace them are Chol, Batchelor and Broad.
I'd have Elton as the next clear option for a key defender, but we're seriously light on key forwards. Richards is a must IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people want Barlow?
Yeah, I thought the point of Prestia and Caddy was to improve our inside mid depth. I'd rather take a punt on a young player.

Here's a summary of what happened during trade / delistings / retirees so far:

OUT:
  • RETIRED: Troy Chaplin, Reece McKenzie
  • EXCHANGE PERIOD: Tyrone Vickery (Hawthorn), Brett Delidio (GWS)
  • DELISTED: Liam McBean
  • DELISTED ROOKIES: Adam Marcon
IN:
  • EXCHANGE PERIOD: Dion Prestia (Gold Coast), Toby Nankervis (Sydney), Josh Caddy (Geelong)
  • ROOKIE PROMOTION: ?
  • DRAFT PICKS: 27, 56, 82 (897 points)
  • CURRENT LIST VACANCIES: 3 (39 players in 2016)

So we need to get to 42 players on our list for 2017. I'd imagine that we would only take 2 live picks in the draft, with 1 / 2 picks being used for upgrading rookies. Assuming we add no delisted free agents, that means we would need to delist 0 / 1 more player.

I really believe that we should be looking at a couple of the available free agents to strengthen our list. Here's the list of players who are likely to become delisted free agents, and their ages at the start of the 2017 season:

• Michael Barlow (29)
  • Xavier Richards (23)
  • Ricky Henderson (28)
  • Matt De Boer (27)
  • Clancee Pearce (26)
  • Jack Grimes (27)
  • Mitch Brown (28)

Our playing list is quite short. I know we've seen through the Bulldogs' success that you don't need to be gigantic to win a premiership, but we're seriously list on key-position players and tall midfielders.

I'd be seriously looking to bring in Michael Barlow and Xavier Richards on 2-year, 200k/year deals. They both get to come home to their home state, and .

Barlow's resume speaks for itself, and it's not like he's ancient age-wise. He provides a big body to protect our younger midfielders, and is solid depth at the very least.

Xavier Richards is an attractive prospect as well, given his young age and form in 2016. In 2014 / 2015, he was played as a tall defender and didn't set the world on fire. This year, however, he played every game for Sydney since Round 18, and was more than serviceable. He kicked 2 goals and had 20 possessions against Adelaide in the semi-final, and is only just starting to come into his prime. Again, at the very least, he'd be solid depth for our team. We have basically nobody available in the VFL if Jack / Griffiths were to get injured.

So, assuming that we picked both of these players up, we would have 41 players on our list (42 maximum). Given that I believe we'll upgrade Short, we'd have 42 / 42 our senior list. As such, we'd need to get rid of 2 more players.

Let's have a look at who is out of contract.

Jake Batchelor, Andrew Moore, Kane Lambert, Daniel Butler, Callum Moore (r), Mabior Chol (r), Jayden Short (r), Jason Castagna (r), Ivan Soldo (r)

Andrew Moore should is a near-certainty to be delisted, so that leaves 1 more.

I feel like we need Batchelor for backline depth, and perhaps a new gameplan is what he needs to get back to playing his best football. It's then between Lambert (25) and Butler (20). I'm not sure who I'd cut here. Flip of a coin, really.

What's everyone else's thoughts re: recruiting delisted free agents, and who else will be delisted?
good post, of the potential DFA's u mention only Richards fits the age group we have targetted in the trade period.
on a JDM vid Butler mentioned he had moved back to Ballarat or wherever he is from so that could be a sign he will get delisted. given we got Prestia & Caddy indicates it could be the same for Moore. dare say Batch will stay as we need depth in our defensive talls. lambert might be kept as depth but unsure on that one.
i'd imagine Short is a lock to get promoted & maybe Castagna as well, unsure there.

I'd only show interest in Richards if he fills a need.
He is young enough to keep on the list and evaluate over a couple of seasons.

We're not tall in defence and Mitch would add to that, But I'm not sold that he would actually make us any better by playing him over the guys already on the list.

There's no point wasting a spot on players who will no doubt be on the decline, even if they are "cheap"
You'd have to be certain, that they will be far better over the course of the season than any other player on your list. That having them play won't be a detriment to developing your young guys and keeping them out of the 22 where they would gain far more experience (at a cost to performance) than just running around in the VFL.

We don't have much success in getting this right, Chaplin was probably the best second hand pick up we got in terms of games played from possible games.

some of the failures
Aaron Edwards played 12 games out of a possible 46
Chris Knights 6 out of 69
Sam Lonergan 2 out of 23
Ricky Petterd 30 out of 69
Orren Stephenson 7 out of 46
Todd Banfield 0 from 23
Shaun Hampson would have been in there too if he didn't have a decent 2016. 35 games from 68

Unless they're a walk in starter don't bother wasting a spot on them.

I'd only show interest in Richards if he fills a need.
He is young enough to keep on the list and evaluate over a couple of seasons.

We're not tall in defence and Mitch would add to that, But I'm not sold that he would actually make us any better by playing him over the guys already on the list.

There's no point wasting a spot on players who will no doubt be on the decline, even if they are "cheap"
You'd have to be certain, that they will be far better over the course of the season than any other player on your list. That having them play won't be a detriment to developing your young guys and keeping them out of the 22 where they would gain far more experience (at a cost to performance) than just running around in the VFL.

We don't have much success in getting this right, Chaplin was probably the best second hand pick up we got in terms of games played from possible games.

some of the failures
Aaron Edwards played 12 games out of a possible 46
Chris Knights 6 out of 69
Sam Lonergan 2 out of 23
Ricky Petterd 30 out of 69
Orren Stephenson 7 out of 46
Todd Banfield 0 from 23
Shaun Hampson would have been in there too if he didn't have a decent 2016. 35 games from 68

Unless they're a walk in starter don't bother wasting a spot on them.

If rance or jack goes down? We look very thin for talls. X Richards would be a good addition at 23 / 195 cm

Depending on how highly people rate astbury and griff he might be 2nd best option either end.

Grimes is too injury prone. To be relied on with reinforcements. The like of chol and C Moore look years away from being a decent contribution.

I would take Xavier Richards on a one year deal and play him forward. As a result of that I would go back to developing C.Moore as a key defender which I thought he was better at in any case. Our key defenders would then consist of Rance, Astbury, Chol and Moore with Grimes and Broad as third talls, I would delist Batchelor given we have Broad to play the same role and he came on a lot in the end back of the season. Admittedly that crop of key talls is very weak but I don't see the value of taking a Mitch Brown who himself is likely to be injured.

Moore will be the last player to be delisted to make room for Short's rookie promotion.

Moore will be the last player to be delisted to make room for Short's rookie promotion.

At present we have 37 Primary List + 4 rookies + Soldo (Cat B Rookie). So we can upgrade 3 rookies without any further delists.
The upgrades also count for the minimum 3 picks in the National Draft.

Because of the depth of this years draft, we should cut 3 more players - A Moore, Dan Butler and Kane Lambert.
Lambo is unlucky, but as he is a depth player, I would rather go to the draft and give a kid a chance.

As the KPP stocks are low should target Richards but I suspect there will be a lot of competition from the other Melbourne based clubs. Sydney could still offer him a better contract as is the cost of living that is the reason he is coming back to Melbourne, but seems unlikely they would due to their tight salary cap. If he is uncontracted and goes to the PSD draft we would need Essendon and Carlton to pass on him.
  • Would take 3 players in the ND and elevate Short
  • If available take Richards in the PSD and 2 rookies or if not take 3 rookies,

Last edited:
I like how people say we should get Barlow to protect our young midfielders.....like who? Cotchin? Martin? Prestia? Caddy? Miles? :drunk: I think they're old enough and experienced enough to look after themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back