Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
We are in rebuild mode. The club hasn’t/won’t say it, but the list is being reset and we are doing a pretty bloody sterling job of it IMHO.

As the club has managed its trade assets to acquire multiple first-round or early second round picks in recent years, a wave of talent born in the 1997-2001 range could form an almighty team, all peaking at the same time, with pieces of veteran support (but definitely cast aside anyone 28yo or older, you are no longer a walk up start).

Here is the nucleus

1997 - Burton, Houston, Bonner
1998 - Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Drew, Ladhams
1999 - Hayes, Garner, Farrell, Patmore
2000 - Rozee, Duursma, Butters
2001 - Bergman, Georgiades, Williams, Mead

Supplemented by Lycett (1992), Wines and Clurey (1994), Amon and Byrne-Jones (1995). Schofield et al to follow.

Some of those players may not make it (Bonner and Patmore at this stage are marginal), but all have shown AFL promise, and with a firm likelihood of creating the critical mass of A/B graders needed to win flag(s).

I know we’re all rightfully shitty about the coaching, but list management is quite separate to that and I am actually very much on board with the direction.

The decision was almost certainly made last year that we were rebuilding. This has not been at all well communicated to the fans, who I believe would be more accepting than the club would think to the strategy. Additionally, I suspect the apparent source significant tension in the football department would be between selection and list management, given some of the low ceiling players that were getting games. The list is almost fully aligned now to remove that excuse, with the likes of Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Dixon and Jonas providing cover while the 1st and 2nd year players get runs on the board in the SANFL.

TL;DR: how good’s Port Adelaide, if you get a get you’ll get a go, premiers 2023-2026

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Putting aside whether enough players come on to the required talent, the key shortfalls are a tall (195cm+) defender and gorilla forward (195cm+). I'm sure we're all shocked to be here realising that the problem with Port's drafting is lack of talls even in an 'officially unofficial' rebuild. :drunk:
All that aside, hopefully 2020 sees some real playing of youth, not the token 1st round picks for coach sub-par cloaking himself in, to guide an older than average list, to 10th yet again.

Last edited:
We are in rebuild mode. The club hasn’t/won’t say it, but the list is being reset and we are doing a pretty bloody sterling job of it IMHO.

As the club has managed its trade assets to acquire multiple first-round or early second round picks in recent years, a wave of talent born in the 1997-2001 range could form an almighty team, all peaking at the same time, with pieces of veteran support (but definitely cast aside anyone 28yo or older, you are no longer a walk up start).

Here is the nucleus

Supplemented by Lycett (1992), Wines and Clurey (1994), Amon and Byrne-Jones (1995). Schofield et al to follow.

Some of those players may not make it (Bonner and Patmore at this stage are marginal), but all have shown AFL promise, and with a firm likelihood of creating the critical mass of A/B graders needed to win flag(s).

I know we’re all rightfully shitty about the coaching, but list management is quite separate to that and I am actually very much on board with the direction.

The decision was almost certainly made last year that we were rebuilding. This has not been at all well communicated to the fans, who I believe would be more accepting than the club would think to the strategy. Additionally, I suspect the apparent source significant tension in the football department would be between selection and list management, given some of the low ceiling players that were getting games. The list is almost fully aligned now to remove that excuse, with the likes of Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Dixon and Jonas providing cover while the 1st and 2nd year players get runs on the board in the SANFL.

TL;DR: how good’s Port Adelaide, if you get a get you’ll get a go, premiers 2023-2026

The lesson I would like us to learn from the past is KPF. If Tredrea wasn't doing it all alone, we might have won two flags with our impressive list.

We are heading into this rebuild with ZERO KPF at this stage. Marshall looks talented but currently tracking for a Westhoff role on the wing. Who knows what version of Dixon we get over the next 12 months and Hayes looks like a ruck. Buzza may surprise and Georgiades will be a watch and wait.

Recruiting an established KPF will be a priority...................if it isn't already.

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
The lesson I would like us to learn from the past is KPF. If Tredrea wasn't doing it all alone, we might have won two flags with our impressive list.

We are heading into this rebuild with ZERO KPF at this stage. Marshall looks talented but currently tracking for a Westhoff role on the wing. Who knows what version of Dixon we get over the next 12 months and Hayes looks like a ruck. Buzza may surprise and Georgiades will be a watch and wait.

Recruiting an established KPF will be a priority...................if it isn't already.

Chill mate, that is the easiest position to fill, it’s all good

True, but unfortunately Gold Coast are doing the same thing with concessions.

If they can retain their youth, they will be a force at the same time we come good.

You mean like how people were super scared that GWS was going to be a force and win flag after flag?

Worry about the things you can control, and the rest of it will sort itself out.

FB_IMG_1574728574375.jpg

Chill mate, that is the easiest position to fill, it’s all good

but we traded spray, delisted neade and no longer have logan or ebert.

I would like to see trent burgoyne debut before making a call on his KPF credentials.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
True, but unfortunately Gold Coast are doing the same thing with concessions.

If they can retain their youth, they will be a force at the same time we come good.
^this. Compare what they've just brought in to us. Our midfield still lacks the quality to build around and they've got Rowell and Anderson this year alone. We don't even have 1 of that Ilk.

For us to take the leap to having a good list, Rozee will need to become Fyfe level. SPP needs to fulfil all of his potential. Houston, Mead or Drew need to become a midfield gun at least 1 of them. Butters or Bergman needs to become a jet both in the middle and up forward. Marshall needs to become a gun, and we need to find another complementing key forward, and we probably need Williams to turn into a star.

If all those players develop out of sight and that's a lot of ifs , then we've got a mint list, until then we're the type of list that looks good on paper until it actually plays opponents and then we realise like always we're still pretty mid table.

Last edited:

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I'm worried about which ones won't make it and will have to realise their potential elsewhere. SPP, for example, was already shopped around.
We need to fix our development before I get excited about what our list could potentially do.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm worried about which ones won't make it and will have to realise their potential elsewhere. SPP, for example, was already shopped around.
We need to fix our development before I get excited about what our list could potentially do.
We have brought back Geoff Morris.
Our development should hopefully take on an upwards trajectory because of this.
And gee, it’s nice to have a happy BF forum for a change, even if it only lasts a day or two 😉

Here is the nucleus

Okay. Where in this 'nucleus' are the centre square mids capable of matching it with the likes of Martin/Cotchin/Prestia or Kelly/Coniglio/Taranto? Where's the future KPF's to match Riewoldt/Lynch or Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson? Where's the KPD's to match Rance/Grimes or Davis/Haynes?

We've got a lot of talent but we don't have a 'nucleus'. In typical Port Adelaide fashion we've got the icing but we forgot to bake the cake.

Okay. Where in this 'nucleus' are the centre square mids capable of matching it with the likes of Martin/Cotchin/Prestia or Kelly/Coniglio/Taranto? Where's the future KPF's to match Riewoldt/Lynch or Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson? Where's the KPD's to match Rance/Grimes or Davis/Haynes?

We've got a lot of talent but we don't have a 'nucleus'. In typical Port Adelaide fashion we've got the icing but we forgot to bake the cake.

we can trade our players in a few years to move up in the draft. we can try our luck then.

In the mean time.........enjoy coke zero

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions

Despite seeming to have a "good ordinary" midfield as individuals, they seem to perform ok in terms of winning the ball - it's what they do with it that's the problem.

The new draftees all seem to use the ball well. I'm hoping for the day when ball use is the big determining factor in who are our "alpha" mids.

We seem to have hitched our wagon to mobile mid-talls at either end. Not sure I’m as concerned about the midfield.

Back