Universal Love Our list is actually fcken lit, fam *chef kissy fingers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the nucleus

1997 - Burton, Houston, Bonner
1998 - Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Drew, Ladhams
1999 - Hayes, Garner, Farrell, Patmore
2000 - Rozee, Duursma, Butters
2001 - Bergman, Georgiades, Williams, Mead

Supplemented by Lycett (1992), Wines and Clurey (1994), Amon and Byrne-Jones (1995). Schofield et al to follow.

9CC98232-5B73-46E3-97DA-9A1DFF8C15C1.jpeg

Gray didn’t come elite till he came back from injury, what was that 13, 14? He got drafted as a ‘mature age’ when?

Gray was quite clearly elite in terms of talent. Could make a ball dance and had Matrixesque field vision from the moment he got here, had a BOG against the reigning premier under his belt having just turned 21 and won a Showdown Medal having just turned 22.

Just needed a bit of luck with his body to put it all together and stay on the park.

Gray was quite clearly elite in terms of talent. Could make a ball dance and had Matrixesque field vision from the moment he got here, had a BOG against the reigning premier under his belt having just turned 21 and won a Showdown Medal having just turned 22.

Just needed a bit of luck with his body to put it all together and stay on the park.

Yes. He did show a lot and lit up games. I remember saying to a 60 year old work colleague(that had set up several football clubs from scratch) who was from the Geelong region that he reminded me of a ‘undersized Gablett’. The mocks. Until 4 years later he was quipping how good he was and ‘Ablettesqe’. Fact is he didn’t pull his head in until he was against the pump. From then on he has become one of the best players in our AFL term.

What a crock, our list is in an awful state. But gee, these players that have played one season or just got drafted will save us. Spare me. Our only elite players are about to hit retirement age and other than ruckmen we won't have anyone on the list over 6'2.

5c64927495289.jpeg

PS. Sack Hinkley

Gray didn’t come elite till he came back from injury, what was that 13, 14? He got drafted as a ‘mature age’ when?
Gray showed elite traits from day dot at a young age.
He became consistently elite later.

What a crock, our list is in an awful state. But gee, these players that have played one season or just got drafted will save us. Spare me. Our only elite players are about to hit retirement age and other than ruckmen we won't have anyone on the list over 6'2.

5c64927495289.jpeg

PS. Sack Hinkley
What is done is done.
So would would you have us do now? Just pick more crap players.
At least our recruiters are trying to turn the ship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is done is done.
So would would you have us do now? Just pick more crap players.
At least our recruiters are trying to turn the ship.

They are, which is good. However the premise of this thread is that everything is tickety boo which I don't believe.

The other outstanding issue is that they won't fully admit they're rebuilding, because it means admitting that we've already fluffed our chance after completely failing the last 5 years. How can you have the same coach if you admit that?

Did the Hoff dodgy up some tax returns or just fu** ya missus Rick?

no but Ken does stupid s**t like playing at Full Back rather than our key defender who then gets traded.

Both those players are keeping future players out due a rebuild. Like Broadbent playing over Garner, Gray playing over any kid.

If they are there Ken will play them!

Rozee, Houston, Duursma, Wines and Powell-Pepper (if they get their acts together), Amon, Mead and Schofield. Possibly Burton pinch hitting. With a very strong ruck contingent forming. I think it can get us there.

Rozee and Duursma are flankers and/or wingers to date. Any midfield potential is entirely theoretical.

Houston has looked okay for the couple of months he's been in the square but has a long, long way to go before he's on the level of the names I mentioned.

Half this board wants Wines traded, and it seems like Wines himself might want to be traded as well.

Powell-Pepper has been in and out of the SANFL for two years.

Amon is a winger.

Schofield is a winger.

Mead at this stage is no more a sure thing than Willem Drew or Joe Atley.

That's not a premiership winning midfield. It's just not. We'll probably have the best flankers in the league in 5 years' time but that won't win us a flag by itself.

We're relying on Rozee going into the midfield and becoming a superstar there. I think he's definitely got the tools to get there, he just needs to develop midfield level endurance.

We'll need more than just him though.

Okay. Where in this 'nucleus' are the centre square mids capable of matching it with the likes of Martin/Cotchin/Prestia or Kelly/Coniglio/Taranto? Where's the future KPF's to match Riewoldt/Lynch or Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson? Where's the KPD's to match Rance/Grimes or Davis/Haynes?

We've got a lot of talent but we don't have a 'nucleus'. In typical Port Adelaide fashion we've got the icing but we forgot to bake the cake.
these players you mention out of curiosity where were they chosen in their respective draft and how many were part of the gc/gws pillage?

We're relying on Rozee going into the midfield and becoming a superstar there. I think he's definitely got the tools to get there, he just needs to develop midfield level endurance.

We'll need more than just him though.

Fantasia :p

We are still hoping Drew, Atley and SPP come good and all play midfield IMO.

Some of the others have potential to become stars on the inside like Duursma and Rozee but as Schulzenfest just said they could easily end up in other roles.

Houston and Wines are both absolutely good enough IMO. Ollie could be out the door soon tho, and Dan can’t do it alone.

Every club has a great midfield. If we want to win a premiership we need something special.

Drew, Houston, Wines, SPP and Duursma is a pretty good midfield. But we’d love another Robbie Gray and another Travis Boak if we can find them.

The two major holes in our side are a lack of explosive midfielders, and a lack of goal kicking tall forwards. We also haven’t looked great in the air for a few years.

I’d have loved a highly rated defender (Gould :() this year, but that probably isn’t out sides most pressing need right now. So I’m OK with going for Williams and Georgiades instead who could both reasonably play this year. While I reckon any KPD would struggle to get a look in for a couple of years at least.

Okay. Where in this 'nucleus' are the centre square mids capable of matching it with the likes of Martin/Cotchin/Prestia or Kelly/Coniglio/Taranto? Where's the future KPF's to match Riewoldt/Lynch or Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson? Where's the KPD's to match Rance/Grimes or Davis/Haynes?

We've got a lot of talent but we don't have a 'nucleus'. In typical Port Adelaide fashion we've got the icing but we forgot to bake the cake.

"With this priority pick and this pre-draft concession, I'll land your KPF/gun midfield."

radio-bart21.png

Rozee, Duursma, Bergman, Drew, Mead and Williams will all be capable of switching between forward and midfield.

You get your star midfielders through FA. This is where Fantasia comes in - who I wouldn't trade for but I sure would like for free. This is why Norf lost out on Gaff and Kelly - they didn't have the other parts for these guys to just plug in and elevate the rest of the team. That's what Essendon tried to do when they went after Stringer, Saad, Smith and Shiel - and it would have worked had their list been populated by better players.

I'd be targeting the likes of Hately in the coming trade period for this reason.

Then you work on guys like Rankine and Stephens the same way North worked on Polec.

We are in rebuild mode. The club hasn’t/won’t say it, but the list is being reset and we are doing a pretty bloody sterling job of it IMHO.

As the club has managed its trade assets to acquire multiple first-round or early second round picks in recent years, a wave of talent born in the 1997-2001 range could form an almighty team, all peaking at the same time, with pieces of veteran support (but definitely cast aside anyone 28yo or older, you are no longer a walk up start).

Here is the nucleus

1997 - Burton, Houston, Bonner
1998 - Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Drew, Ladhams
1999 - Hayes, Garner, Farrell, Patmore
2000 - Rozee, Duursma, Butters
2001 - Bergman, Georgiades, Williams, Mead

Supplemented by Lycett (1992), Wines and Clurey (1994), Amon and Byrne-Jones (1995). Schofield et al to follow.

Some of those players may not make it (Bonner and Patmore at this stage are marginal), but all have shown AFL promise, and with a firm likelihood of creating the critical mass of A/B graders needed to win flag(s).

I know we’re all rightfully shitty about the coaching, but list management is quite separate to that and I am actually very much on board with the direction.

The decision was almost certainly made last year that we were rebuilding. This has not been at all well communicated to the fans, who I believe would be more accepting than the club would think to the strategy. Additionally, I suspect the apparent source significant tension in the football department would be between selection and list management, given some of the low ceiling players that were getting games. The list is almost fully aligned now to remove that excuse, with the likes of Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Dixon and Jonas providing cover while the 1st and 2nd year players get runs on the board in the SANFL.

TL;DR: how good’s Port Adelaide, if you get a get you’ll get a go, premiers 2023-2026

3 talls including 2 ruckmen in that list of 18 players. 4 if you want to include Georgiades whose height seems to vary between 191 to 193 cm. On top of that, we traded out Howard. Anyone on the rookie list is a crapshoot don't kid yourself. This is a real concern for me.

I don't buy the "ruckmen who can play forward" line. Lade fit that description. I haven't seen anyone else on our list since 1997 who does. We will need at least two genuine talls going forward, maybe three. A forward and 2 defenders. They won't be drafted and developed in time to join this squad so we are going to have to find them sonewhere. Unfortunately, quality talls moving to SA are like hen's teeth. If we get them, then yeah I like the state of our list.

Rozee and Duursma are flankers and/or wingers to date. Any midfield potential is entirely theoretical.

Houston has looked okay for the couple of months he's been in the square but has a long, long way to go before he's on the level of the names I mentioned.

Half this board wants Wines traded, and it seems like Wines himself might want to be traded as well.

Powell-Pepper has been in and out of the SANFL for two years.

Amon is a winger.

Schofield is a winger.

Mead at this stage is no more a sure thing than Willem Drew or Joe Atley.

That's not a premiership winning midfield. It's just not. We'll probably have the best flankers in the league in 5 years' time but that won't win us a flag by itself.
So much this.

We went into the trade/draft period needing to find an A-grade, high production midfielder, KPF, KPD and small forward.

We’ve drafted players who almost fill those positions but are a very, very long way from being assured stars there.

As far as I see it, we now rely on development and coaching to get the most of what we have drafted, but by NO means is this list close to being the real deal.

Add a Serong, McAsey and Max King in the next two drafts, and then I’ll be happy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back