Universal Love Our list is actually fcken lit, fam *chef kissy fingers*

Remove this Banner Ad

My punt is we will make the 8 again in 2023 and our premiership window will be in the 2030s after a couple of rebuild attempts. Our inability to recruit and develop KPF over the last 20 years is a major flaw holding us back.

My punt is we will make the 8 again in 2023 and our premiership window will be in the 2030s after a couple of rebuild attempts. Our inability to recruit and develop KPF over the last 20 years is a major flaw holding us back.

We've got a long way to go to be like Richmond.. well, 15 years til we can cover 84-2015 Richmond

"other than ruckmen we won't have anyone on the list over 6'2."

I couldn't resist! Six foot two equals 188cm. How about.....?

Pasini - 192
Burton - 191
Ebert - 189
Clurey - 193
McKenzie - 191
Marshall - 198
Dixon - 200
Watts - 196
Bonner - 190
Grundy - 194
Lienert - 195
Buzza - 198

Westhoff - 199

We have plenty of height, and we can add more anytime.

Ps... Westhoff will probably still be playing when you and I are dead

Mate.. don’t let the truth get in the way of a good rant ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say our list is lit. There are some big holes in our list and they need filling before we are to stand a chance.

Over the past 12 months i've been trying to do some modelling of premiership teams, their trends etc. basing it off Pelchens model. I've detailed each premiership squad since 1996 and tl;dr, we are 5 elite players off the mark from being premiership capable.

This is our current squad make up. Please note, just my opinion.
jNk35S8.png

The Grades are:
A - Elite. All Australian quality or similar
B - High quality, consistent players who regularly have a very positive influence on the result of matches
C - The core. The depedable foot soldiers who do their job week in week out
D - Depth players
E - Youngsters who've had a taste of AFL who have the possibility of reaching Grades A or B
F - Untried players

So we have 1 in Grade A and 7 in Grade B. On average, over the last 24 years, you need 6 players in Grade A and 6.5 in Grade B. Across A-C you need 23. We have 20.

The lowest amount of Grade A's in a premiership team over the last 24 years has been 3, which were:
Port 2004 - Also had 10 in Grade B
Sydney 2012 - Also had 8 in Grade B
Bulldogs 2016 - Also had 9 in Grade B

This is Richmonds current premiership squad:
J7tCaJB.png

You can see how far off the mark we are at the moment. 7 quality players off the mark. If we were to have a moderate target of top 4 in 3 years time, then we really need another 12-14 players to come into the A-C group in that time frame, knowing that we will lose at least 7 of those players in that time frame as well.

We really need an emphasis on KPP over the next 2 years. Our smalls look ok. Our KPP stocks, as we know, are behind the 8 ball.

I wouldn't say our list is lit. There are some big holes in our list and they need filling before we are to stand a chance.

Over the past 12 months i've been trying to do some modelling of premiership teams, their trends etc. basing it off Pelchens model. I've detailed each premiership squad since 1996 and tl;dr, we are 5 elite players off the mark from being premiership capable.

This is our current squad make up. Please note, just my opinion.
jNk35S8.png

The Grades are:
A - Elite. All Australian quality or similar
B - High quality, consistent players who regularly have a very positive influence on the result of matches
C - The core. The depedable foot soldiers who do their job week in week out
D - Depth players
E - Youngsters who've had a taste of AFL who have the possibility of reaching Grades A or B
F - Untried players

So we have 1 in Grade A and 7 in Grade B. On average, over the last 24 years, you need 6 players in Grade A and 6.5 in Grade B. Across A-C you need 23. We have 20.

The lowest amount of Grade A's in a premiership team over the last 24 years has been 3, which were:
Port 2004 - Also had 10 in Grade B
Sydney 2012 - Also had 8 in Grade B
Bulldogs 2016 - Also had 9 in Grade B

This is Richmonds current premiership squad:
J7tCaJB.png

You can see how far off the mark we are at the moment. 7 quality players off the mark. If we were to have a moderate target of top 4 in 3 years time, then we really need another 12-14 players to come into the A-C group in that time frame, knowing that we will lose at least 7 of those players in that time frame as well.

We really need an emphasis on KPP over the next 2 years. Our smalls look ok. Our KPP stocks, as we know, are behind the 8 ball.

R Gray not being rated A grade is... something.

But yeah, definitely some concerns with the list still. Running with the (probably safe) assumption that Wines will be gone end of next year, we are lacking a genuine centre square mid, and a tall KPD.

A lot is resting on Marshall finally showing something too.

I agree with Macca entirely, which is why I applaud the approach we took to this and the previous draft.

Yes, it’s a boom or bust draft for us this year, but the boom aspect gives us a chance of finding 1-2 A-graders and a couple of B-graders in that mix.

Extrapolating based on potential and limited exposure, I see our potential A-graders among our long term prospects, in order of likelihood being:
1. Rozee
2. Hayes
3. Duursma
4. Houston
5. Williams
6. Bergman

B-graders:
1. Wines (will he follow Dougal to Melbourne is the big question)
2. Burton
3. Clurey
4. Butters
5. Ladhams
6. DBJ
7. Garner
8. Marshall
9. Mead
10. Georgiades

C-graders
1. Amon
2. Bonner
3. Drew
4. Powell-Pepper

D or lower
The rest

We need a key forward and defender in the potential A level

R Gray not being rated A grade is... something.

But yeah, definitely some concerns with the list still. Running with the (probably safe) assumption that Wines will be gone end of next year, we are lacking a genuine centre square mid, and a tall KPD.

A lot is resting on Marshall finally showing something too.

I love Robbie like no other, but he wasnt elite, AA standard this year, which is what grade A is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd assumed that the hype over our list was more on the potential of the sort of 22 and under brigade than what the current list actually is.

We've stockpiled a large collection of first round draft picks over the last few years and it potentially (using that word again quite deliberately) holds us in good stead down the track. But that's down the track.

Right now, our list is anything but a good list. We have virtually no good players in the 23-29 age bracket, owing to our shambolic drafting between 2007 and 2014 which I have detailed here before, and further diminished by questionably trading out most of the talent in this age bracket for draft picks that now sit in the 22 and under group. Most of our best players are 30+ or nearing it.

Our demographic is the demographic of a team that has just come off a sustained era of challenging for a premiership. Of course, we haven't actually done that, but the fact remains. And it leaves us with a list that is much closer to being a bottom 4 team next year than a top 4 team. Mercifully, we have the talent stockpiled to ensure our stay in the lower reaches shouldn't be too long and hard. But don't expect miracles overnight.

Our players would all be rated higher if we had a decent coach. We’re not better than the sum of our parts and so we perceive the players to have a lower value. If we had Clarkson, Jonas would probably be A grade (as an example).

I love Robbie like no other, but he wasnt elite, AA standard this year, which is what grade A is.

If that’s the criteria, Lynch shouldn’t be an A and Prestia should be.

I think we can stop expecting so much from him as of this year. His knee is reducing his ability to train significantly. He'll be a burst player for the twilight years.

I think our best hope is that Rozee-Butters-Duursma becomes our new Boak-Gray-Westhoff and stay together for 15 years and play 300 games each, win AA and B&F gongs, etc. That at least gives us a strong nucleus to build around.

If that’s the criteria, Lynch shouldn’t be an A and Prestia should be.

Lynch was 3rd in the coleman. He is absolutely elite. Prestia probably could have gone up to A

Jonas would have been rated A in the past and could get to that level again

Rozee is on the fast track to A grade you'd think. And there's a bunch of others who could join him if they reach their potential.

I reckon Duursma, Amon and Rockliff deserve to be B graders too. Doesn't look right that they are sitting alongside SPP in C whilst Wines is in B. All of those guys have outputs much, much closer to Wines than to SPP.

Lynch was 3rd in the coleman. He is absolutely elite. Prestia probably could have gone up to A

He didn’t make the AA squad of 40. Prestia did. I’m saying if AA caliber is your criteria, there are only 40 A players in the competition, which is about right.

Rozee is on the fast track to A grade you'd think. And there's a bunch of others who could join him if they reach their potential.

I reckon Duursma, Amon and Rockliff deserve to be B graders too. Doesn't look right that they are sitting alongside SPP in C whilst Wines is in B. All of those guys have outputs much, much closer to Wines than to SPP.

I originally had Rockliff as B but thought his actual impact on games isn’t as strong as what B is meant to be. I think Amon and Duursma are foot soldier types. Duursma is one we need to go up to A. SPP i had as E but moved him to C as I thought he did often have an impact. He is one we also need to get to B.

Plus the placing of current Port players is based off the ratings of all the preimership teams. Rocky doesnt have the impact of those that i have historically put in B

Remove this Banner Ad

Back