List Mgmt. Our list is too nice

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our players hunt the ball well but lack some of the physical presence of tougher footballers in the past.

Also, inb4Gaffpost.

Yeah I have to agree with this. There isn’t much campaigner in our side and hadn’t been for years. When do our players ever get reported? Rarely, in fact, I’m sure if you looked at the stats over the last 20 years, we’ve probably had the least reports of any team
Interesting, had a look. Could only find the info from 2016 where we were pretty middle ground:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-08/your-clubs-rap-sheet-how-every-team-fared-with-the-mrp-in-2016

Interesting, had a look. Could only find the info from 2016 where we were pretty middle ground:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-08/your-clubs-rap-sheet-how-every-team-fared-with-the-mrp-in-2016
In 2017 there were 160 charges laid. 159 of them were sustained. They resulted in only 66 matches worth of suspensions but $139,500 in fines.

So the league average per club was about 8.9 charges, 3.7 games suspended and $7,750 in fines.

The WB players got 8 charges, 5 matches worth of suspensions and $6000 in fines. From memory we lost Wood and Redpath for longer than expected because of appeals and accumulated bad-boy points, not so much from thuggish acts. Probably too small a sample to prove anything but I'd say we were about average.

I think fines might be a better guide because they tend to be for rough play, jumper punches and other physical offences considered not quite worthy of suspension (such as kicking another player in the head:rolleyes:). In 2017 the $139,500 of fines was principally from:
  • Striking $50,500
  • Rough Conduct $29,000
  • Melees $21,500
  • Wrestling $15,000
  • Misconduct (incl headkicking) $5,500
  • Melee instigation $4,500
  • Kneeing ($3500)
Nearly all the 66 games suspension came from striking (46) and rough conduct (16). I love the fact that there was one offence listed as "unreasonable eye contact" (2 games) - player must have looked at the ump in a funny way. ;) The other two were headbutting (1 game!) and forceful front on contact (1).

On the fines, the winners were Norf ($14,000), Freo ($12,500), Unsociable Hawthorn ($12,000), Melbourne ($11,500) and Richmond ($10,000).
The Big Friendly Giants only had $6500 worth of fines, including Toby Greene's love tap with his studs to Dahl's face ($1500).

On suspensions the clear winners were Melbourne (15) from Geelong (8) and then 4 clubs including us on 5.

Maybe as our ultra-young squad finds its feet and gains self-assurance in future years we'll become a bit more assertive and ... err ... unsociable.

In 2017 there were 160 charges laid. 159 of them were sustained. They resulted in only 66 matches worth of suspensions but $139,500 in fines.

So the league average per club was about 8.9 charges, 3.7 games suspended and $7,750 in fines.

The WB players got 8 charges, 5 matches worth of suspensions and $6000 in fines. From memory we lost Wood and Redpath for longer than expected because of appeals and accumulated bad-boy points, not so much from thuggish acts. Probably too small a sample to prove anything but I'd say we were about average.

I think fines might be a better guide because they tend to be for rough play, jumper punches and other physical offences considered not quite worthy of suspension (such as kicking another player in the head:rolleyes:). In 2017 the $139,500 of fines was principally from:
  • Striking $50,500
  • Rough Conduct $29,000
  • Melees $21,500
  • Wrestling $15,000
  • Misconduct (incl headkicking) $5,500
  • Melee instigation $4,500
  • Kneeing ($3500)
Nearly all the 66 games suspension came from striking (46) and rough conduct (16). I love the fact that there was one offence listed as "unreasonable eye contact" (2 games) - player must have looked at the ump in a funny way. ;) The other two were headbutting (1 game!) and forceful front on contact (1).

On the fines, the winners were Norf ($14,000), Freo ($12,500), Unsociable Hawthorn ($12,000), Melbourne ($11,500) and Richmond ($10,000).
The Big Friendly Giants only had $6500 worth of fines, including Toby Greene's love tap with his studs to Dahl's face ($1500).

On suspensions the clear winners were Melbourne (15) from Geelong (8) and then 4 clubs including us on 5.

Maybe as our ultra-young squad finds its feet and gains self-assurance in future years we'll become a bit more assertive and ... err ... unsociable.

Go back further than that. I’m talking the last 10-20 years. I’m betting we would have the least suspensions of any club over the last 20 years. We’re always too nice!

Go back further than that. I’m talking the last 10-20 years. I’m betting we would have the least suspensions of any club over the last 20 years. We’re always too nice!
OK. Here you go. 12 years, 2006-17.

Here are the WB totals for times found guilty and the penalties applied (suspensions or fines). It also shows the AFL averages.
The WB are colour coded. Green means they came in UNDER the AFL average and pink means they came in OVER it.

upload_2018-8-10_0-18-31.png

Here are the key stats in graphical form. Should be self explanatory ("AFL" means AFL Average per club).
upload_2018-8-10_0-19-29.png

upload_2018-8-10_0-20-54.png

In summary we have been charged about 14% less than the AFL average, suspended about 42% less but fined almost the same as the AFL average (0.8% less).

Make of that what you will.

Footnote: There was one glorious year where we topped the class for disciplinary infringements. That was 2014. (What a year!) Most of it came from a massive Rd 23 melee against GWS from which 12 WB players were fined. Interestingly in his last match for the Dogs Ryan Griffen wasn't one of them. He also got the 3 Brownlow votes. Toby Greene got one vote ... and a $1200 fine. The other fascinating thing about that match is we lost by a goal even though it was our home ground. Fast forward to the PF at Spotless in 2016 ...

Agreed. We need some more mongrel in the way we go about it.

A couple of enforcers ala Southern or Minson would be just what the doctor ordered.

Cordy is the only player that has that inner campaigner within him.

VFL Redpath certainly had that inner campaigner but for some reason didnt exhibit this in the AFL probably because he was too scared to get dropped/suspended.

Cordy is the only player that has that inner campaigner within him.

VFL Redpath certainly had that inner campaigner but for some reason didnt exhibit this in the AFL probably because he was too scared to get dropped/suspended.

Redpath got suspended plenty

Redpath got suspended plenty
for stuff like pushing and shoving.

In the VFL i recall him borderline killing players countless times by absolutely steamrolling them on the lead. He hesitated in doing this at AFL level.

Greene has some bite in him.
Also Redpaths aggressive leads not translating to AFL is simply a case of not getting a chance to settle in and have consecutive games

Greene has some bite in him.
Also Redpaths aggressive leads not translating to AFL is simply a case of not getting a chance to settle in and have consecutive games
I see what you mean...

f57220b0ce2f21aa94d52086f99fd884.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back