List Mgmt. Our list profile

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been noted in the Herald Sun today, in the main Ladder section that despite some promising kids like Larkey and Simpkin, our list profile suggests we should be contending right now, thus saying that we need more quality kids coming through, given we aren’t playing finals. At first glance, I couldn’t disagree too much with that notion, as even without any detailed analysis it is obvious that our older players are in fact our prime movers. Higgins, Cunnington, Ziebell, Tarrant, Goldstein are all 29 or older at the start of season 2020. (or in case of Cunnington, turns 29 mid season). You can even add Pittard to this list, who has become an important player and also turns 29 in April.

But if you regard those 6 blokes as important players, is 6 such a critical number? And is any of them really over the hill? In my view all are playing nearly career best footy right now, and there is no reason why that won’t continue for another 2-3 years at least, even in case of Higgins who is 32. He and Tarrant missed so much footy early in their careers that their bodies seemingly aren’t that old in footy terms.

When you look at promising kids like Walker and Scott who haven’t really been able to do anything yet, I think our list profile is better than many realize.

Obviously there are plenty of areas to improve, quality small forward and some speed on the wings being the obvious ones, I think there aren’t many obvious holes. If Shaw can do his homework over summer we should be in the finals at the very least with the current list IMO.

This stupid age profile crap, no idea why the media focusses on x number of contributors in y age bracket.

To be more successful I think we just need more versatility in the list, old young whatever. Some fast skilled ball magnets and a crumber. Also the inside group needs a Jacobs like defensive player to help adjust when the clearances aren't going our way.

This stupid age profile crap, no idea why the media focusses on x number of contributors in y age bracket.

To be more successful I think we just need more versatility in the list, old young whatever. Some fast skilled ball magnets and a crumber. Also the inside group needs a Jacobs like defensive player to help adjust when the clearances aren't going our way.
Because the competition is youth and draft-obsessed.

Our list composition needs depend entirely on the point of view that the observer chooses to take.

Based on our Geelong performance we're as far away from anywhere as we've ever been.
Based on our Port performance we're headed in the right direction.

IMHO we're a season away from anything dramatic happening to the list.

If posters on here are believed we were operating under a system that devalued the need to practice skills.

This means we have no real idea of the upper skill limit of the list.

We're a better list than our ladder position. The question is can we take what we have draft shrewdly, trade wisely and push up the ladder?

Two things:
1. Season 2020 is one serious Robbie Tarrant injury from being over.

2. In 2 or 3 years we will be without Tarrant, Goldstein and Higgins - certainly they’ll be past their best. We don’t have anyone to replace at least two of these guys.

3. Plus we have the current gaps in our list to fill.

Therefore we need to find 2-3 A graders in the next 3 years just to maintain the list. 5+ in the next three years if we want to be contending. This is where our appalling use of first round draft picks over 2010-2015 comes home to roost: 6 first round draft picks, not a single A grader and half struggle(d) to even play at AFL level.

I’m afraid the list managers have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

We need another good KPD, a solid backup KPF (would love to give Roughy a development coach role), and a midfielder with a bit of burst pace.

Couldn't care what age they are.

Age profile list managers are usually fairly myopic and rarely follow their logic through end to end.

We need another good KPD, a solid backup KPF (would love to give Roughy a development coach role), and a midfielder with a bit of burst pace.

Couldn't care what age they are.

Age profile list managers are usually fairly myopic and rarely follow their logic through end to end.

We have Durdin, McKay, EVW & Majak coming through. Our key defender depth is better then most clubs.

In my opinion, and we have needed to do this a couple of years ago.. We are at the point where we need to start thinking about bottoming out and hitting the draft for 2/3 years.. fair enough, we have some players nearing the end, give it a nudge next year, if we fail to make the 8 then its serious rebuild time.. we have positively drafted some good talent from the 17/18 draft pools add another 2 or three years of GOOD drafting plus some decent mature age recruits and thats the way to go.. this hanging around the middle of the ladder doesnt satisy me a great deal..

The talent pool for this season isnt very deep in the U/18’s .. the top 5/6 are very very good.. we wont see anything from this draft unless we get lucky, hopefully Brady is working hard

So much depends on player availability.

If you gave me this current list, with an extra pre-season into Larkey, Zurhaar, Thomas, Simpkin and LDU, but then also added a healthy Daw, Jacobs and EVW, I'd say that's a close to a top four quality list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been noted in the Herald Sun today, in the main Ladder section that despite some promising kids like Larkey and Simpkin, our list profile suggests we should be contending right now, thus saying that we need more quality kids coming through, given we aren’t playing finals. At first glance, I couldn’t disagree too much with that notion, as even without any detailed analysis it is obvious that our older players are in fact our prime movers. Higgins, Cunnington, Ziebell, Tarrant, Goldstein are all 29 or older at the start of season 2020. (or in case of Cunnington, turns 29 mid season). You can even add Pittard to this list, who has become an important player and also turns 29 in April.

But if you regard those 6 blokes as important players, is 6 such a critical number? And is any of them really over the hill? In my view all are playing nearly career best footy right now, and there is no reason why that won’t continue for another 2-3 years at least, even in case of Higgins who is 32. He and Tarrant missed so much footy early in their careers that their bodies seemingly aren’t that old in footy terms.

When you look at promising kids like Walker and Scott who haven’t really been able to do anything yet, I think our list profile is better than many realize.

Obviously there are plenty of areas to improve, quality small forward and some speed on the wings being the obvious ones, I think there aren’t many obvious holes. If Shaw can do his homework over summer we should be in the finals at the very least with the current list IMO.

The words of a heraldsun 'footy' analyst is hardly anything legit to base on. Every year is essentially a reset. Things can happen really quick.........if a few players click. We are in the process of clicking the players. First the seniors, to get the best out of ziebell, he needs to be a medium sized power forward with bursts in the middle as the longer he stays in the middle, less impact he will be. Ziebell is your 20 possession 2 goal type big bodied midfielder/forward. Ideal scenario is one out against a small defender in the goal square.

Then there is cunnington, a plodder and liability when the opposition gets the ball but a monster when used in the right circumstances. The keyword is circumstances. He is almost neigh on unstoppable when there is congested space where running is difficult. So stoppages in general play is where cunnington should be on-ball and but he should far away during center bounces. In those times, cunnington should be somewhere in the forward line or on the bench as he is too slow to be a pressure forward.

Higgins need to gradually become a more permanent forward to get the best out of his kicking and his elite disposal skills, alternatively a half back role would also work to our favour as one position we don't have is this elite half backer.

Atley is our ace in the hole player. Currently he is on the half back getting very comfortable hence not challenged to do more. He needs to be right in the gut to take on the opposition. Let him slice and dice and get the opposition to huff and puff to chase him. Anderson, Atley and Simpkin should be our center square starting players as there is far more pace and zest to constant nip and the opposition. The 3 can apply far more defensive pressure than ziebell and cunnington.

Next is the new midfield time to be put into the likes of garner, zurhaar and thomas. These 3 have plenty of aggression, explosiveness and in the case of thomas, excellent defense work ethics. So if we put things together, if we are to let higgins go, we will be forced to make changes to the midfield rotation and if the rotation can happen the way i describe, the loss of one aging rolls royce player will get at least half a dozen young explosive personalities, it would rocket our list upwards. Also, woods leaving would mean that we eliminate an unstable element to our team unless we can get him to play half back flank. This will work but i am not so sure if our club has the vision and dare to actually pull this off. Of course if goldie can play his natural game then we are very settled in the ruck but let's say he ages and his rucking time reduces then we can most definitely bring in campbell as he can provide a target in the goal square.

Two things:
1. Season 2020 is one serious Robbie Tarrant injury from being over.

2. In 2 or 3 years we will be without Tarrant, Goldstein and Higgins - certainly they’ll be past their best. We don’t have anyone to replace at least two of these guys.

3. Plus we have the current gaps in our list to fill.

Therefore we need to find 2-3 A graders in the next 3 years just to maintain the list. 5+ in the next three years if we want to be contending. This is where our appalling use of first round draft picks over 2010-2015 comes home to roost: 6 first round draft picks, not a single A grader and half struggle(d) to even play at AFL level.

I’m afraid the list managers have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

Goldy-Xerri
Tarrant - McKay/Durdin
Higgins - Scott, Walker, LDU, Hayden (take your pick)

continuing on from my previous post, i haven't even gotten into the likes of mackay, kyron, scott, crocker, walker, xerri and potential return to full fitness of jacobs, evw and daw. out of the 3 mentioned, evw would make a full recovery and is still young enough to have a good career. Jacobs is gone barring a miracle, Daw is very unlikely to get back to his best as he is 29 and in his final year of contract.

continuing on from my previous post, i haven't even gotten into the likes of mackay, kyron, scott, crocker, walker, xerri and potential return to full fitness of jacobs, evw and daw. out of the 3 mentioned, evw would make a full recovery and is still young enough to have a good career. Jacobs is gone barring a miracle, Daw is very unlikely to get back to his best as he is 29 and in his final year of contract.
Jacobs daw and EVW may not get to their best.. you have to exclude them from the conversation, because it looks as though jacobs will never play again, Maj may never get back to his best and EVW is one of the unluckiest footy players alive..

In regard to your earlier post, Atley has been trialed on the ball in the past.. and when he is on the run, his foot skills cost us when delivering into the f50.. he may have improved over the last couple of years but im not sure that works

Goldy-Xerri
Tarrant - McKay/Durdin
Higgins - Scott, Walker, LDU, Hayden (take your pick)

The only one we might have covered at the same standard there is Higgins.

I see Walker as an interesting prospect next year. He has the pace and skill we need and hopefully he can make a big step forward. Surely the chicken arms have a bit of meat by now. He could help solve our issue with the wing opposite Polec.

I’m certain Will would have collected our 5th RS nomination if he had been available this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The one thing we can say about Majak is that we haven’t the slightest clue what he is capable of...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's been some big changes since the post 2016 list cull.

North Melbourne players by age (August 2017)

Jarrad Waite – 34yr 6mth
Scott Thompson – 31yr 3mth
Sam Gibson – 31yr 3mth
Andrew Swallow – 30yr 2mth
Lindsay Thomas – 29yr 6mth
Shaun Higgins – 29yr 5mth

Todd Goldstein – 29yr 1mth
Lachie Hansen – 29yr
Robbie Tarrant – 28yr 4mth
Sam Wright – 27yr 1mth
Jack Ziebell – 26yr 6mth
Majak Daw – 26yr 5mth
Ben Cunnington – 26yr 1mth
Jamie Macmillan – 25yr 11mth
Ben Jacobs – 25yr 7mth
Aaron Mullett – 25yr 6mth

Shaun Atley – 24yr 11mth
Ben Brown – 24yr 9mth
Marley Williams – 24yr 1mth
Mason Wood – 23yr 11mth

Taylor Garner – 23yr 7mth
Jed Anderson – 23yr 6mth
Nathan Hrovat – 23yr 2mth
Luke McDonald – 22yr 6mth
Braydon Preuss – 22yr 2mth
Trent Dumont – 22yr 1mth
Kayne Turner – 21yr 7mth
Will Fordham (R) – 21yr 5mth
Ed Vickers-Willis – 21yr 5mth
Daniel Nielson – 21yr 3mth
Sam Durdin – 21yr 2mth
Paul Ahern – 21yr
Mitchell Hibberd – 20yr 11mth
Declan Mountford – 20yr 6mth
Corey Wagner – 20yr 5mth
Matthew Taylor (R) – 20yr 5mth
Ryan Clarke – 20yr 2mth

Ben McKay – 19yr 8mth
Oscar Junker (R) – 19yr 7mth
Jy Simpkin – 19yr 5mth
Cameron Zurhaar (R) – 19yr 3mth
Nick Larkey – 19yr 2mth
Josh Williams – 19yr 2mth
Declan Watson – 18yr 11mth

North Melbourne players top end age profile (August 2017)

Jarrad Waite – 34yr 6mth
Scott Thompson – 31yr 3mth
Sam Gibson – 31yr 3mth
Andrew Swallow – 30yr 2mth
Lindsay Thomas – 29yr 6mth
Shaun Higgins – 29yr 5mth
Todd Goldstein – 29yr 1mth
Lachie Hansen – 29yr
Robbie Tarrant – 28yr 4mth
Sam Wright – 27yr 1mth

Top end age profile now

1606170471691.png