Our list

Remove this Banner Ad

You were spot on about the Crocker and Wills contracts, not sure why either of them got two years. Or why Smith is still on the list

Agree on moving Varcoe to the back line to play on the smaller forwards. Not so sure on the Adams call to go back though, coming off the year he had
If Varcoe is fit he should play down back

No but that's why we got Murray and will probably take Coffee if the rumours are right
From what I'm hearing both those two are more the rebound types then defend first.

From what I'm hearing both those two are more the rebound types then defend first.
Well you cited Sinclair and we are screaming for that type especially quick ones, Varcoe is past his prime and starting to get injured, I'd only count on him as backup

Well you cited Sinclair and we are screaming for that type especially quick ones, Varcoe is past his prime and starting to get injured, I'd only count on him as backup
I mentioned Sinclair to highlight your hypocrisy...

I mentioned Sinclair to highlight your hypocrisy...
But you brought up Sinclair? I was talking about Varcoe and his inability to get on the park lately, ie: hard to earmark him for a role when we need to settle a consistent 6 back there. How is that hypocritical?

Last edited:
I think our current list lies in the bottom half of the competition currently and I don't have a lot of confidence it will improve rapidly. To many lists at a similar level lol to have more promise. Still it possible with a settled positive pre season we may see better than expected development and so move up the ladder more quickly.

Backline - Had a positive 2017 overall but I do have some doubts as to whether that will continue. Goldsack and Dunne were mainstays down back with seasons that may be hard to replicate in 2018 given their age. I also have concerns that Howe may also have had his season out of the box and may revert more to form. Goldsack in a lot of ways is the most important for what he brings in aggressive attack on the ball and especially the man with the ball.

We have a backline that's a bit one paced and laconic. Langdon will go hard when it's his turn but it's not a natural feature of his game like the Sack. Shaz is tentative with ground ball and this should improve but not to the extent that it will become an asset in his game. Darcy if he goes back could apply som big man force a bit like Rance because he does attack the ball hard and seems to have little fear. Maynard is the most naturally aggressive young back we have and I would like to see him kept down back

Our other big problem is run, carry and delivery. We are crying out for a fast linebreaker. Murray has been recruited for the future. He is a bit of a rough hope and realistically is likely to be mainly a VFL player in 2018. Varcoe or Crisp may likely get the role but both have deficiencies. Crisp lacks the class and Varcoe is too low a possession winner to really make this his role.

MCLarty is the other backman of potential. He looks a player but 2018 a development year. If we got Coffield at 6 it may be he can slip right into the smaller defender with class and pace role. He could be the answer to our backline biggest deficiency

You were spot on about the Crocker and Wills contracts, not sure why either of them got two years. Or why Smith is still on the list
The club sees potential in these players.

At last look
We have 24 players out of contract 2018
This means heaps of space available with 2 / 3 free agents and the ability to pick up picks
When you think about it 80% of teams don't have monster forwards
Who can impose
Joe daniher patton, lynch , Dixon
Maybe the rest mobile medium forwards
Reiwolt walker Cameron even Jenkins don't play big
We have dunne , we have Big Mac
We have Reid we have goldy
A back 7
Reid , dunne , Howe, varcoe, Murray, crisp and perhaps Adams can and will do well
Allows sack to play swing
Maynard on ball and more mid time for de goey
We have shaz, Langdon and Aish as reserves to apply selection pressure

Our list is ok and really who else would you delist to create space?

Yeah, I guess part of the plan is to really strike hard next year, the way Port did this year, and try to get top 4 in 2019. Next year will then be a mainly developmental year sorting the wheat from the chaff while still trying to make the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our current list lies in the bottom half of the competition currently and I don't have a lot of confidence it will improve rapidly. To many lists at a similar level lol to have more promise. Still it possible with a settled positive pre season we may see better than expected development and so move up the ladder more quickly.

Backline - Had a positive 2017 overall but I do have some doubts as to whether that will continue. Goldsack and Dunne were mainstays down back with seasons that may be hard to replicate in 2018 given their age. I also have concerns that Howe may also have had his season out of the box and may revert more to form. Goldsack in a lot of ways is the most important for what he brings in aggressive attack on the ball and especially the man with the ball.

We have a backline that's a bit one paced and laconic. Langdon will go hard when it's his turn but it's not a natural feature of his game like the Sack. Shaz is tentative with ground ball and this should improve but not to the extent that it will become an asset in his game. Darcy if he goes back could apply som big man force a bit like Rance because he does attack the ball hard and seems to have little fear. Maynard is the most naturally aggressive young back we have and I would like to see him kept down back

Our other big problem is run, carry and delivery. We are crying out for a fast linebreaker. Murray has been recruited for the future. He is a bit of a rough hope and realistically is likely to be mainly a VFL player in 2018. Varcoe or Crisp may likely get the role but both have deficiencies. Crisp lacks the class and Varcoe is too low a possession winner to really make this his role.

MCLarty is the other backman of potential. He looks a player but 2018 a development year. If we got Coffield at 6 it may be he can slip right into the smaller defender with class and pace role. He could be the answer to our backline biggest deficiency

Agree with a lot of this, but I reckon we’ll improve about 10-15% next year, which should be enough to get us 7th or 8th about. The improvement is obviously from the younger players
- de goey, Aish, Brown, Daicos, Maynard, Philips, Moore, etc. as long aspired elite don’t drop off too much.

Yeah, I guess part of the plan is to really strike hard next year, the way Port did this year, and try to get top 4 in 2019. Next year will then be a mainly developmental year sorting the wheat from the chaff while still trying to make the 8.

Yeah
Clubs made a obvious descision to test the team this year
Continuity not a excuse
Expect if wells and cox both impact we play finals
Presently feel we do not have a concrete outfit and need guys to claim and own the spot if we do the sky's the limit
Plenty of gaps ,

I reckon there'll be a lot of nervous guys among those players coming out of contract in 2018. Footywire suggests 19 players, that's a lot of nervousness.

I reckon there'll be a lot of nervous guys among those players coming out of contract in 2018. Footywire suggests 19 players, that's a lot of nervousness.

Obviously we can't get rid of them all. If the allusion of this thread is that those players may not be good enough, we will still have some players that may not be good enough on our list in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus we're going to get shredded on Anzac Day - no way can we keep up with that list and we'd be going in as massive underdogs.

Hopefully it's closer to this:

Langdon Moore Scharenberg
Maynard McClarty Petruccelle

Grundy Treloar Adams
Murray De Goey Bonar

Elliott Howe Pendlebury
Fasolo Reid Sidebottom

Int
Wells Crisp Hoskin-Elliott Cox

Fingers crossed Ned Guy sorts it out next year. He may be willing to cut deep and get us back into the pointy end of the "super draft", considering we have so many guys out of contract there might be some interesting calls

Was thinking the same thing..if our on field performance doesn't improve significantly it could be a bloodbath at contract renewal time..

Obviously we can't get rid of them all. If the allusion of this thread is that those players may not be good enough, we will still have some players that may not be good enough on our list in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd think quite a few of those 19 players will be long term players, but the pressure will be on those fringe players to stake a claim. Some of those departing at the end of 2018 (for whatever reason) aren't even among the 19. It's not unrealistic that 10-13 of the current squad will not be at the Pies in 2019 and I'd think the largest % of those will come from the 19 currently uncontracted group.

I have started to do some analysis, and am finding we have too many players in the backline of the same size. Langdon, Scharenberg, Howe, Goldy, Maynard and Dunn are all 190cm or so. (Goldy at 193 cm is the tallest, Maynard at 189cm the shortest.). Crisp is also slated for a defender role, and again, he is 190cm. So, we have an "average" height for most of our defenders, and that is why we struggle against teams like Essendon, who have two tall forwards (Hooker & Daniher at 197+cm) and 3 small forwards (<175cm). We are either too small or too tall when we match up.

We don't have too many 170-180cm backmen that would play on the smalls from Essendon, Richmond and Adelaide (the Betts/Knight at Crows, Smith/Tipungwuti/Fantasia at Dons, Rioli/Pupolo at Hawks, Rioli/Butler/Lambert at Tigers).
IMO, Varcoe and Adams need to play defence to strengthen with the matchups. Hopefully Murray comes up and cements a spot in the seniors Predicting he will debut Anzac Day! And my team for that game is:
View attachment 434296

Thanks slugger
Nice analysis
Adams must play back pocket as pointed out numerous times prior ( refer 2nd post this. Thread), so thanks for agreeing
If we want de goey and Maynard to be the bulls we need they need midfield minutes
It's a no brainer Adams goes back, no other mid can imo
Good 1 on 1 , leader, tough and good talker
Also. Has enough self belief to succeed

IF WE DON'T CHANGE IT UP we will get the same
Crisp worked Adams would too
Also want to see sack and rupe play defensive forward roles

Thanks slugger
Nice analysis
Adams must play back pocket as pointed out numerous times prior

As long as we settle a quick off the HB to go with him, that backline is starting to look like molasses

Adams Dunn Scharenberg
Langdon Moore Goldsack

Noy
As long as we settle a quick off the HB to go with him, that backline is starting to look like molasses

Adams Dunn Scharenberg
Langdon Moore Goldsack

That does but refer my original post which has speed
Happy to swap Reid and Moore

Adams. Dunn Howe
Varcoe Reid crisp

Murray, sack bench
I don't have room until Langdon and shaz show a bit more
Murray gets in as he plays a role we need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back