Our losses 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah its a pain in the arse with the way they drip feed stats.

i'm usually interested in differentials in any category. Doesn't matter if you get a 1000 contested possessions if the oppo get 1005.

Example: last 2 years weve been stone motherless last in freekicks by a long long way. Freekicks are measured as a contested possession and clearance, so if you're -5 or -10 in frees youre automatically -5 or -10 in clearances and contested possessions which can be misleading to a degree.

Last year we were way down in these stats but i heard dimma mention a number of times that our hardball/groundball gets are top 3 so we're happy and not concerned with "dirty clearances". Our centre clearances have been top 5 the past few seasons if Im not mistaken? Thats why Id love to know if that part of our game has been affected this season as I cant find anything on it.

When you break it down its nowhere near as bad as its being portrayed by very raw stats. This year has been concerning but there are mitigating circumstances. Interested to see if this trend continues in the run home when we get a fair few back

Sounds feasible.

We were 5th for centre clearances in 2018, 9th in 2017. Again, hard to say what that means when its not differential, but i guess it probably means 'okay but not outstanding'.

i don't think we're a poor contested team. its just not our strength, even with the best 22 available. And we have been poor for periods in our bad losses against bigger, stronger opposition, air and ground. Hopefully, getting the better players back will mean we have less of those lapses.

Completely agree that modern AFL stats are misleading to a degree. Never clear what the definitions are. Who would guess a free count as a contested possession? And WTF? Why?

i'm usually interested in differentials in any category. Doesn't matter if you get a 1000 contested possessions if the oppo get 1005.
fair point and agreed.

Sounds feasible.

We were 5th for centre clearances in 2018, 9th in 2017. Again, hard to say what that means when its not differential, but i guess it probably means 'okay but not outstanding'.

i don't think we're a poor contested team. its just not our strength, even with the best 22 available. And we have been poor for periods in our bad losses against bigger, stronger opposition, air and ground. Hopefully, getting the better players back will mean we have less of those lapses.
Agreed

Completely agree that modern AFL stats are misleading to a degree. Never clear what the definitions are. Who would guess a free count as a contested possession? And WTF? Why?

Don't get me started...

yep very frustrating - bc their definition is a free kick is earned in 'a contested situation'.

The one that gets me is when the ball is in open space and you run onto it (a looseball get), its also counted as a contested possession, ****ed if i know why?

and the biggest one? Tap the ball down to your midfielder who is gang tackled immediately for another ball up and that's classified as a tap to advantage, whereas I and most people would believe(not unreasonably) that a tap to advantage is a tap that allows you clear it. Give me the stat of a hitout which allows the side to clear the ball rather than this bogus hitouts to advantage stat everyone refers to to give me a real look as to who the dominant rucks are and how dominant they really are. Just to be clear i have little doubt Grundy and Gawn would be top of the tree again but I'll bet the gap will be considerably less than what the raw stat is showing.

Anyhow thats my little rant, always been a part of the game that interests me greatly but also frustrates me greatly.

I wanted to add to the discussion about contested possessions.

We're currently ranked 17th for differential on contested marks. The team below us is the Dogs, who got 10 more contested marks than us when we played them. (More or less - Naughton.) The only teams we have beaten for contested marks this season are Port and GWS.

So what?

We were ranked 10th in 2018 and 11th in 2017. We have gone from middle of the road to poor. Bit like contested possessions.

And I reckon you can see it in games. When we get split open, we aren't taking the contested mark on the wing when the defence have to dump kick. We aren't taking intercept marks in defence when it's a contest. You could really see both Geelong and Adelaide bombing it high and long, knowing their forwards wouldn't get beaten. Might even be that since the Dogs game, the opposition has been targeting this weakness.

I suspect it won't turn around until we get Nank, Astbury and Riewoldt back.

We have not been worked out. We have simply had a list gutted by injuries. Take 8 out of the top 15 from any club and who else would be on 7 wins at the half way mark?

The answer will show you how strong our list actually is.
Yeah with so many out i reckon it tends to make a mockery of our stats...

The big one for me in our losses has been that oppositions have torn our midfield apart in contested work, and moving the ball from there. That is partly structure. But it is also just not having enough good contested guys in the middle.

When we have all our guys back it'll be interesting to see if we can control/nullify those breakaways from contests. Teams have worked out how we do it, and 666 has had an impact on our set up. But we'll adjust. And I reckon that forced adjustment could be good for us. People won't know how we do it until late in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back