Our losses 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has anyone else noticed in our losses this year (pies, giants, dogs, roos) the same pattern in every game? In all those games I felt we were never going to win before half time even though we were close but you could tell we were just hanging on, then BANG..floodgates opened.
Have teams just worked us out now? Or are we failing to rise when teams really bring the heat? All our losses have been concerning

Yeah you can definitely tell when we're going to lose early. We get smashed in the contest.

I find the key indicator of Dimma feeling that our mids aren't getting the job done is when he switches Edwards into the middle.

Generally when I see that happen I know our midfield is in trouble and we're not going to win the game.

Not really an issue. Comp is so even atm and we have still had less “concerning” losses than most of the comp.

Every team has weaknesses that can be exploited and when teams pull it off, it can look like they’ve been exposed.

We also have a lot of young players on our side atm, can’t expect them to always be consistent.

Man y'all get way too worked up over loses, we're still a good team we also have a lot of young blokes and they are going to have s**t games.
I would rather scrap wins and work hard than coast like last season and then s**t the bed when it matters.

Something like our last 12 games are at the g, we will get players back and come home like a ******* freight train. Just gotta peak when it matters and be in the 8 when it counts.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not hitting the panic button, but when we seem to get smashed in the contest early, we seem to have no answer at the moment. I think we’re also a couple of mids short.
Think we should’ve chased another 1-2 mids in the trade period last year, we lack depth there. Lambert and graham can’t come back quick enough

Man y'all get way too worked up over loses, we're still a good team we also have a lot of young blokes and they are going to have **** games.
I would rather scrap wins and work hard than coast like last season and then **** the bed when it matters.

Something like our last 12 games are at the g, we will get players back and come home like a ******* freight train. Just gotta peak when it matters and be in the 8 when it counts.
Agree 💯 with this, some of us campaigners need to chill the * out and or #eco

Oppos obsessing over us on the bay and mb more than their own team,tells you how much we have rustled their jimmies winning games with half a vfl side in.

Playing their grand finals.

Onward to next week,lick those Tiger paws and we move on back to Richmond Paddock and good ole Punt Road and Richmond pubs!

Last edited:
4 losses isnt the concern, 7-4 is an acceptable record with our injuries, however the nature is concerning. We are nowhere near those games when we lose and the team looks like it has no ability to get back into a game. If we dont start well it seems we get crushed after half time.

Other than freo and Hawks match we haven’t played consistently in games this year , happened again last night we lost game in the 3 rd quarter pretty much .

Always get toweled up by quality inside mids - and when we do on fast grounds like Marvel it gets turned into scoreboard pressure very efficiently

Lots of clean play into our defensive 50 hitting up their blokes on the lead

Our defence want it coming in high and slow and there wasn’t too much of that

Being the hunter next week against the ladder leaders will hopefully produce a better effort in and around the contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also have a lot of wins where we look like we’re hanging on at times. I reckon every game for the last two years someone has said ‘we look off’ in the first 5min.
Soon as i saw the first 5mins i thought this is reminding me of the general election...we are not moving with any urgency!

Counting the prelim 5 of our last 12 games we have been beaten convincingly!

But u r right , we r just flat from the word go in those games & u get to half time & even if we r still in it (dogs, north etc) it feels like we r 5 goals down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The losses that we've had have come about IMO because of changes to our game plan that still aren't settled in because of the injuries and constant juggling of the side. Pretty much every week it's been 2-3 changes with players being asked to play a slightly different role depending on who is playing.

Forwards:
Jack going out has robbed us of our lead up option who links up between the D50 and F50. With Jack playing he would be taking the extra defender who now folds back and sits in front of Lynch up the ground and creating space for Lynch to work in. As a result we've reverted back to the 2017 set up with Lynch and the short people/resting mids playing forward. While it has it's moments where it looks great still it has been worked out and sides know how to limit it's effectiveness. When Jack returns and the midfield gets some more soldiers back I am expecting a much different set up with Jack Lynch being surrounded by 2 resting midfielders i.e. Caddy Martin Cotchin Lambert and 2 smalls i.e. Rioli Castagna Butler Bolton. Once we get this set up established I believe our forward line will function much better than it currently is.

Midfield:
Nank going out has hurt with the around the ground stuff as well as getting back and helping the defenders by filling the hole. Soldo & CCJ have tried to fill the void but their inexperience at this level has been exposed at times. Along side him the losses of Cotchin Ross Graham Edwards Lambert & Martin either through injury or being needed in other areas has robbed us of our ball winning ability in the middle. Prestia has been good, Baker is coming on but still inexperienced, Caddy/Vlastuin have had some good patches but they're not the same calibre as a Cotchin/Martin in the middle when it comes to winning the clearance and breaking the game open. Cotchin is back, Nank hopefully not too far off, Graham and Lambert hopefully back in soon as well should see us get back to our preferred set up and see the midfield performing much better again.

Backs:
Rance going out early meant a big adjustment was needed and it took a couple of weeks for that to happen. Then Short went down, Houli goes out, Astbury and Vlastuin both missed a game, Grimes got suspended so like the rest of the side it's been a constant juggling act from week to week. Along the way we've unearthed Stack, Edwards has had to go back and provide some leadership & Vlastuin moved into the midfield, robbing us of some aerial support. Garthwaite has been given his opportunity to make a spot hit while Balta has also been asked to go back when all else had failed. To be 7-4 with all this happening down back is a great effort. Again I can't wait for us to get back to a more settled line up with Astbury Grimes Vlastuin Houli Stack Broad and Garthwaite being able to settle down back as they all compliment each other well as a group.

Hopefully post the bye we get to see a side along the lines of:

B: Grimes Astbury Garthwaite
HB: Houli Vlastuin Stack
C: Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
F: Caddy Riewoldt Martin
F: Bolton Lynch Rioli
R: Nankervis Prestia Lambert
INT: Balta Edwards Broad Graham

Get that side on the park and I think we'll be right in the mix when the serious stuff starts at seasons end.

What I will say yes key injury has hurt us, but in all those games the senior lot besides 2 or 3 have had shockers or gone missing.

Man y'all get way too worked up over loses, we're still a good team we also have a lot of young blokes and they are going to have **** games.
I would rather scrap wins and work hard than coast like last season and then **** the bed when it matters.

We have the most 6+ goal losses in the competition right now...

There is no problem in losing decently sporadically throughout the season. If the Bulldogs and North Melbourne losses were by 1-18 points, then you learn from it and just move on. If the Collingwood and GWS losses were 15-28 point losses, then I’d be a little annoyed but you move on.

But it’s 37, 44, 47 and 49 points. The second thing is that people like blaming the kids on here when we basically had only 4 players playing well yesterday - Houli, Dusty, Prestia and Cotchin outside of those free kicks. Where were the other players? Were the Premiership players also tired because it’s their first season or coming back from a long injury stint? No. It’s not good enough when we are getting thrashed in 4 games out of 11 rounds.

Finals aren't played at Marvel Stadium.
The other 2 losses to Pies and Giants we were in it in the last quarter, but down 2 players early in both games hurt us.
Finals are played at the g, but top 4 is done now so we are going to have to travel twice. You think we are going to beat top 5 teams away when we can't even get even close to the dogs or norf across the road. Not gonna happen.

Finals are played at the g, but top 4 is done now so we are going to have to travel twice. You think we are going to beat top 5 teams away when we can't even get even close to the dogs or norf across the road. Not gonna happen.

Logic, my friend, has no place in trying to work what Richmond will do next

*Level on wins with 4th*

"Top 4 is done now"

Give it a rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back