Our losses 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

when we lose we lose bad and don't seem to have a plan b in the process, its coaching and its implementation. I cant work out why these blokes in the box who get paid so much of our membership money can' realise simple stuff. Also quite often we have picked the wrong team. Its not easy. but we need good decision makers on all levels.
Plan b's,c's,d's all are predicated on winning the ball. We couldn't/wouldn't do it so any changes the coaching staff tried wouldn't make a lick of a difference.

for the games we win our mindset is right our team is selected right and I would say our coaches are usually right. It might sound simplistic but I do beleive we have not selected the right teams when we have lost. eg, no inside bull this week gone.
Which inside bull didn't get selected?? Don't say Graham, he is still getting back from injury/fitness and he isn't the panacea anyway imo. He might be right to go now, but last week he wasn't.

Which inside bull didn't get selected?? Don't say Graham, he is still getting back from injury/fitness and he isn't the panacea anyway imo. He might be right to go now, but last week he wasn't.

townsend, you need tough bodies against north they do this all the time. grahama and him need to come in v catttery

townsend, you need tough bodies against north they do this all the time. grahama and him need to come in v catttery
The lack of what i call medium sized players instead playing so many smalls has always hit one in the face when looking at our losses.Very difficult to even go one v one in that case.

It is almost impossible to change anything structurally when your out sized and out bodied all over the ground.

Even in 2017 this was a problem at times.

There are lots of things if not wrong you could say, could be a fair bit better.
I actually think we have done exceptionally well to win what games we have but i also feel the wins have covered over the cracks that imo are obviously there and have been there a fair while.

The lack of what i call medium sized players instead playing so many smalls has always hit one in the face when looking at our losses.Very difficult to even go one v one in that case.

It is almost impossible to change anything structurally when your out sized and out bodied all over the ground.

Even in 2017 this was a problem at times.

There are lots of things if not wrong you could say, could be a fair bit better.
I actually think we have done exceptionally well to win what games we have but i also feel the wins have covered over the cracks that imo are obviously there and have been there a fair while.

I am in agreement with you, our skills are still poor and our bodies are small. One bloke who is under the pump is cadddy. He hasnt brought it. He should be thriving and throwing his weight around. prestia has been good but is a peanut. we need big bodies. Geez we miss ross.

Reading this thread...
781296.jpg

Last edited:
we played 10 players who were only 5ft something that is 10 players under 6ft.Some weeks we have played as many as 12.By comparison nm played 10 blokes somewhere between 186cm and 189cm. They had just 4 blokes under 6ft.

There is a genuine lack of medium sized types we have just 4 it is helped to a degree with McIntosh and Broad being tall mediums and running players.
We have just 4 mediums in the team Martin187 CM, Vlastuin 187, Caddy 186 and Cotchin at 185.
Just my opinion but the balance is not right and we generally are shorter and undersized with out the ability to change to much when things dont go well.

Three of our four unsuccessful finals campaigns (2013, 2015, 2018) have involved ungraceful exits at the MCG
Cant seriously compare team pre 2017!
2018 PF was an aberration.
New era and dynasty lies ahead.

Margin of our losses has been a big disappointment, but oppo 5 goal run ons is something very difficult to stem with so many kids in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was mainly because we are exhausted. Every single player has had to play out of their skins, taking on completely new roles. That takes a massive physical and mental toll.
In the first quarter the game was pretty even. We had our pressure going well. We got numbers forward and back, that's why we were up. As the game wore on we couldn't maintain it. Our stoppage work stayed ok for most of the game. We were able to get more inside 50s. But we couldn't surge it to the goals, and we couldn't get back to stop their shots at goal.
I don't think its a case of players dropping their heads. They're running on empty. I think joelsyt called it last week or the week before and I don't think I believed it, but now I do. The bye can't come quick enough for us.

1 Cats 44 12 11 1 0 151.27
2 Giants 32 12 8 4 0 132.83
3 Magpies 32 11 8 3 0 124.35
4 Eagles 32 11 8 3 0 108.84
5 Crows 28 12 7 5 0 112.41
6 Lions 28 12 7 5 0 103.06
7 Tigers 28 12 7 5 0 94.48
8 Power 24 11 6 5 0 110.93
9 Dockers 24 11 6 5 0 109.03
10 Bombers 20 11 5 6 0 102.93
11 Hawks 20 11 5 6 0 101.17
12 Kangaroos 20 12 5 7 0 94.18

Average Attributes
Richmond Attribute Geelong
185.3cm Height 188.3cm
84.8kg Weight 89.2kg
24yr 5mth Age 26yr 3mth
90.5 Games 124.2

This is due to the AFL scheduling us outside the g for as long as possible this year in the hopes we lost a lot of games and were too far behind to make a charge. Will win nearly every game from here on out
Another fan who thinks the AFL scripts it’s competition like the WWE and does everything to prevent Richmond from winning games. For all the conspiracies and so called rule/schedule tampering the AFL does, it does a lousy job as we keep winning more than most!

I didn't know where to start, so I looked up our contested possessions. Feels like that has been a big problem the past fortnight. Turns out it's been a big problem all season. We average 12 less contested possessions than our opponents. We have only won that category against the Swans and the Hawks.

I didn't know where to start, so I looked up our contested possessions. Feels like that has been a big problem the past fortnight. Turns out it's been a big problem all season. We average 12 less contested possessions than our opponents. We have only won that category against the Swans and the Hawks.

Where do we sit with hardball gets and groundball gets? I find those stats to be more accurate when trying to measure the effectiveness of our engine room vs the opposition

Its talked about as if its only been a problem the last few weeks but it is an on going problem that has been there for yrs.Imo it greatly contributed to the feeling in the media that too much has been left to too few.

When the system is beaten there is no ability to change much . what i dont get is why people think the same system cannot work with bigger players.
When the smalls are outbodied outworked out tackled out harassed and cant get their hands on the ball it really is left to too few who ultimately are overwhelmed.

Where do we sit with hardball gets and groundball gets? I find those stats to be more accurate when trying to measure the effectiveness of our engine room vs the opposition

Agree, but the AFL stats site is the only place i know to get them, and its an arse for going through each game. Let me know if you have a better suggestion.

in the meantime, its pretty hard to disagree with mopsy. its been an issue for more than a season and i don't think it would change my mind to see it broken down into loose / hard ball gets.

We set up to stop the first receive, not win the footy. Get out-tackled and it falls apart, particularly with smaller players. We have been able to win the footy back with intercept when we have the personnel on the park, and that's just not happening at the moment.

Agree, but the AFL stats site is the only place i know to get them, and its an arse for going through each game. Let me know if you have a better suggestion.

in the meantime, its pretty hard to disagree with mopsy. its been an issue for more than a season and i don't think it would change my mind to see it broken down into loose / hard ball gets.

We set up to stop the first receive, not win the footy. Get out-tackled and it falls apart, particularly with smaller players. We have been able to win the footy back with intercept when we have the personnel on the park, and that's just not happening at the moment.

Yeah its a pain in the arse with the way they drip feed stats.

I have a theory that its not as bad as it seems and no-one really acknowledges it whenever I post it but when Ive spoken to a few people in the industry they agree 100% - however they have access to all that data so they know.

Example: last 2 years weve been stone motherless last in freekicks by a long long way. Freekicks are measured as a contested possession and clearance, so if you're -5 or -10 in frees youre automatically -5 or -10 in clearances and contested possessions which can be misleading to a degree.

Last year we were way down in these stats but i heard dimma mention a number of times that our hardball/groundball gets are top 3 so we're happy and not concerned with "dirty clearances". Our centre clearances have been top 5 the past few seasons if Im not mistaken? Thats why Id love to know if that part of our game has been affected this season as I cant find anything on it.

When you break it down its nowhere near as bad as its being portrayed by very raw stats. This year has been concerning but there are mitigating circumstances. Interested to see if this trend continues in the run home when we get a fair few back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back