Our MAJOR ISSUE

Remove this Banner Ad

The LDU draft is interesting. The top end has not jumped out and captured the competition by storm. We could do with Stephenson’s bag of tricks at the minute however. :stern look

If Larkey was on the park and BBB wasn't suffering his worst form slump in 4 years Stephenson's name wouldn't even be in the conversion. FWIW may as well have a look at Hosie.

Lewis was still there when we picked up Simpkin and my thouces tell me he pushed hard for his recruitment. But still your point is valid with Jy. He was the right call.

The LDU draft is interesting. The top end has not jumped out and captured the competition by storm. We could do with Stephenson’s bag of tricks at the minute however. :stern look

Bonar was also in that draft as a high pick. Hayden’s recruitment is looking good in the 60’s. Xerri also from that draft. Hopefully Walker can come on now that he is over his injury concerns.

No doubt our draft in picking up Thomas, Scott and Taylor including the recruitment of Polec and Pittard is looking very good.

But yeah we went back to recruiting a tall bloke with our first pick in the last draft. Comben is quick for his size and there is a lot to like about him. Hopefully he becomes a star. But did we really need to recruit another tall guy? Perez for mine suited a need most from the 3 draft selections we made in 2019 and he was our last pick. :stern look

Agree with everything except I’d still take LDU over Stephenson and we traded our first pick last year. Won’t know what we do with it till this year

I appreciate that we are all frustrated with how the team is playing but there's a lot of educated people on this board yet we seem to jump from one extreme to another. Literally 3 weeks ago I was reading on here that we were likely to be playing in a flag. Fast forward 2 weeks and we are now playing for draft picks. My personal opinion is that we have been mediocre for far too long. I'm almost starting to wonder whether we may be losing the fabric to what the club has been known for for so long. Other clubs used to respect us as they always knew no matter what side we put on the park , we'd give a contest. I don't know if its the modern game but I just don't have the same love for the game I once had. Every decision the afl makes is manipulated in a fashion that benefits the revenue. Whether that be handing franchise clubs every possible concession imaginable or fixing the draw to give clubs like collingwood and richmond every opportunity to succeed.
I love north but I hate what the game has become
Great post. I rarely bother with neutral games. I love North and will always watch them but couldn't give a **** about other games unless it is relavent to our ladder positioning. I get far more enjoyment watching my kids junior footy/cricket/netball which unfortunately is all on hold atm.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post. I rarely bother with neutral games. I love North and will always watch them but couldn't give a **** about other games unless it is relavent to our ladder positioning. I get far more enjoyment watching my kids junior footy/cricket/netball which unfortunately is all on hold atm.

I'm actively involved in local footy and I'm missing that far more than going to the AFL at the moment.

Needs to be our number one priority as it’s been a issue for years as we’ve never done much skills training at all anyways

WAT.jpg

Lewis was still there when we picked up Simpkin and my thouces tell me he pushed hard for his recruitment. But still your point is valid with Jy. He was the right call.

Bonar was also in that draft as a high pick. Hayden’s recruitment is looking good in the 60’s. Xerri also from that draft. Hopefully Walker can come on now that he is over his injury concerns.

No doubt our draft in picking up Thomas, Scott and Taylor including the recruitment of Polec and Pittard is looking very good.

But yeah we went back to recruiting a tall bloke with our first pick in the last draft. Comben is quick for his size and there is a lot to like about him. Hopefully he becomes a star. But did we really need to recruit another tall guy? Perez for mine suited a need most from the 3 draft selections we made in 2019 and he was our last pick. :stern look

Hearin' ya Zonds. I was thinkin we should have gone Stephenson, then i had a look at our midfield last night at it was shithouse. I'm also 100% behind Comben we need him. yes we've drafted plenty of talls and all of them aint any good.

Xerri I like, as his bag will be as an enforcer which I'm fine with. Comben is athletic, has pace ,can jump and is a strong mark. Xerri is 201cm's, when he jumps he's still 201cm's.

Perez and Taylor- we got lucky and about bloody time. Flynn will start as a back flanker and then move into the midfield. I like what we're currently doing. Guys like Zurhaar, Hayden, Perez, Scott, TT and Taylor will all end up as a part of our midfield rotations.

And my friend once that happens, s**t will get very real.

Yet the TV ratings are better than ever!

In the short term our major issue is that Cunnington, Higgins, Brown and Ziebell are out of form for various reasons. We aren't a talented enough side to cover the four of them. You can add guys like Daw, Garner and Larkey to that list and it becomes too much for a mid-table side like us to recover from.

In the long term Brad Scott and Cameron Joyce spent 10 years building a list that wasn't equipped for modern football. As clubs were discarding players because they didn't have great foot skills or because they didn't apply enough pressure, we continued to bring them into the side and rely on them. We're lucky that the one part of our early season hype that has remained true is that this is the best collection of young talent that we've had for a very long while. When Walker, Larkey, Scott and Davies-Uniacke get back into the side it's only going to become more apparent.

We're a third of the way through the year with clear systemic issues.

There are 12 rounds to cycle through every player on the list.

All of them.

We should really consider not playing Ziebell or Cunnington in the hub.

Get them both actually fit. Give the the rest of the year if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re lacking a genuine superstar player that can inspire and raise the games of the B and C graders around him. Think Ablett, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Hodge, Voss, Hird, Judd etc. For those that can remember, how many times did Carey do the business for us in the 90‘s, made the players around him better, walk taller. Our team in the last 20 years has lacked a player and leaders with presence. Ziebel smashes packs and is a human wrecking ball but whats the point when his hard work results in hack turnovers. Need to nail the next draft with fast skilled players and I’d even trade out Brown if some stupid club offered a crazy price for him. I can’t see too much happening in the next few years until the players that have been around 7+ years are gone. They simply haven’t gone on with it for various reasons. I do like the youngsters that have come in over the past 18 months though. It’s up to them.

Lose lose lose, perfect because this forces actions to be taken. Why not take some real action and let’s really bottom out and cut the deadwood and play the players who will be useful for the future. Let’s tank the season and hopefully Melbourne di short as well. Get pick 2 and 3.....viola.

My eyeballs. What do you reckon they were doing?

When one of the players from the club says they didn’t train their skills, then I’ll believe them.

Circle work and half ground work is not skills training.

Skills training while under pressure is so important

It’s no wonder when we have lack of pressure from the opposition we look clean by foot and hand. But as soon as there is pressure we crumble and start handballing or bombing it to no one as we can’t handle it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back