Roast Our medical and high performance team

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair question. I think it was Brad Hardie but that aside I have heard it said a few times that we were being worked very hard. Too hard? Who knows. But I suppose the injury levels bring extra scrutiny and speculation like this. The interesting part was that he said something along the lines that this story has been bubbling away for a while now and he was surprised it hadn't hit the media but will soon.

If it is accurate, Nathan Buckley went through the same thing early in is tenure.

Not the worst thing to have to counterbalance later. Again, *if true* I'd rather this than the coach worrying more about their chakras and investment portfolios.

So I asked about this particular subject. Our Doc thank you all is very experienced , he's well into his 70's . He hobbles onto the ground and hobbles back off it!!

Apparently he's on job keeper, so all good.👍 he wouldn't get a gig anywhere else that's for sure.🤦‍♂️. Yes the OP is correct and it's all about cost saving 🤷‍♂️. They all need to go, but who stumps up for the cash?

So I asked about this particular subject. Our Doc thank you all is very experienced , he's well into his 70's . He hobbles onto the ground and hobbles back off it!!

Apparently he's on job keeper, so all good.👍 he wouldn't get a gig anywhere else that's for sure.🤦‍♂️. Yes the OP is correct and it's all about cost saving 🤷‍♂️. They all need to go, but who stumps up for the cash?
..if he's breathing ...he's right to go back on...

...old school doctor...nice

I’ve seen the match day club doctor out on the ground and thought, yeah he’s definitely over 60. Resembles * doctor. I worry when hes assesing the structure of a knee or ankle that he might break his wrist! These are professional athletes who dwarf him and Id hate to see him carry someone off whose hobbling, placing their entire body weight on his shoulder 😕

Come to think of it, imagine when he’s assessing a knee or ligament and he can’t put enough elbow grease into it so our players feel no pain, due to the lack of pressure - and so theyre cleared to come back on!! 😂😂😳😳
That is until they go in for scans the following Monday and they’re ruled out for 3 weeks. fu** imagine that 🤔

He’d be the most experienced candidate however so that stacks up but can’t help but wonder if we’d be better off served by a doctor who has more of a feel for the modern game and will be around long term.

Considering the injury prone players on our list, it would help if they could develop a personal relationship with the club GP without fear that they could retire any minute.

I’ve seen the match day club doctor out on the ground and thought, yeah he’s definitely over 60. Resembles * doctor. I worry when hes assesing the structure of a knee or ankle that he might break his wrist! These are professional athletes who dwarf him and Id hate to see him carry someone off whose hobbling, placing their entire body weight on his shoulder 😕

Come to think of it, imagine when he’s assessing a knee or ligament and he can’t put enough elbow grease into it so our players feel no pain, due to the lack of pressure - and so theyre cleared to come back on!! 😂😂😳😳
That is until they go in for scans the following Monday and they’re ruled out for 3 weeks. fu** imagine that 🤔

He’d be the most experienced candidate however so that stacks up but can’t help but wonder if we’d be better off served by a doctor who has more of a feel for the modern game and will be around long term.

Considering the injury prone players on our list, it would help if they could develop a personal relationship with the club GP without fear that they could retire any minute.

Look I actually like Dr Randall, he knows his stuff.....

1596755017659.png

Interesting comments on the wireless last night suggesting that Shaw has overcooked players at training and that is the main cause of our injury toll. I have heard over the last few weeks there are a few unhappy senior players who believe their training levels have been too high. Shaw has an absolute passion for maximum fitness but maybe not balancing training levels with age and tiring bodies.

I suppose when you have a large injury toll then fingers will point, fairly or unfairly. The comment last night was that this story has been bubbling for a few weeks now and the commentator was surprised it had not broken as a bigger story. Let's see what the week brings.
Poor fat plodders have had to run to hard...
Senior players should’ve been driving this years ago, no point blaming the coach for your poor standards.

Whatever we are paying to the current medical and s&c team replace them with less but higher quality people in this area, couldn’t do worse than the current lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our injuries have derailed us for the past 10+ years.

To put it nicely, I think we’ve all had enough as supporters (and the players too). Yes, I understand that injuries just happen during footy, it’s a contact sport but the management and prevention measures have been putrid for way too long

We need some ******* change! Make it happen Rawlings or Shaw!

Who is in charge of the club's conditioning and performance development department.

I get we've never had resources per se and it's a contact sport, but yeah, needs a major reform and reworking. Don't care if it's new staff or practices, but there's only so much bad luck before it becomes systematic failure.

Good point about list management/recruiting too earlier up. You can't stack a list with that much risk, especially multiple best 22 players on best 15 coin.

Some you can roll the dice on, but not a stack of them. Two or three at absolute most on any list. If you wanna take a stab on a project player who's on minimum coin, there's no opportunity cost either.

But I reckon at one point in 2018, we had at least up to 6 of our best 22 (blokes like Waite, EVW, Garner, Wood, Jacobs etc) with significant injury histories. You can't hinge that much of your squad on a good run with injury. It's insane.

I get we've never had resources per se and it's a contact sport, but yeah, needs a major reform and reworking. Don't care if it's new staff or practices, but there's only so much bad luck before it becomes systematic failure.

Good point about list management/recruiting too earlier up. You can't stack a list with that much risk, especially multiple best 22 players on best 15 coin.

Some you can roll the dice on, but not a stack of them. Two or three at absolute most on any list. If you wanna take a stab on a project player who's on minimum coin, there's no opportunity cost either.

But I reckon at one point in 2018, we had at least up to 6 of our best 22 (blokes like Waite, EVW, Garner, Wood, Jacobs etc) with significant injury histories. You can't hinge that much of your squad on a good run with injury. It's insane.

According to our Annual Report in 2019:

"Carl oversaw an incredible turnaround in the club’s financial position during his tenure with some of his key achievements being the substantial reduction in the club’s debt whilst at the same time, heavy investment in the football department to provide the capacity to pay 100% of the salary cap and soft cap."

We lacked the resources when Brad first came in, but it wasn't the case by the end. It isn't the case now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back