Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne overhauls high-performance department after injury-plagued season
By Sam Edmund

North Melbourne has reacted swiftly to another injury-plagued season by overhauling its high-performance department.

The Kangaroos have cleaned out the fitness arm of the club, with several staff told last week that they wouldn’t have their contracts renewed, while others have departed throughout the second half of the season.

David Noble’s encouraging debut season at Arden St came despite an ongoing injury crisis that saw him regularly having to cope without a contingent of first-choice players.

It’s understood the new coach has been irritated by the level of unavailability, leading to a staff cleanout.

Head of-high performance Matt Turnbull left in May, strength coach Alex Moore departed in July and the Roos’ longest-serving football department staff member, strength and conditioning coach Jona Segal, moved on last week.

But their departures have been followed by the exits of head doctor Bianca Scotney, assistant strength coach Josh Humphries, rehabilitation co-ordinator Matt Ferraro, sports scientist David Sobey and trainer Alister Wright.

For four consecutive years the Kangaroos have ranked No.1 in the competition for games lost due to injury.

The high-performance clean slate is the latest off-season reset at North Melbourne, following last year’s coaching staff overhaul and league-high 15 list changes.

Bullshit Noble and Blakey were infuriated with how unfit our squad was/is. And how the " High Performance" team conducted their work ,alleviated themselves to a ridiculous level. Put themselves above the players , " without us there is no game ". ******* crazy s**t.

And it has Scotts dirty finger prints all over it. I hate Carlton but I did spend sometime on their board imploring them not to give Scotts the coaching job. That would be just nasty.

But it will take 3 years to fix the mess unfortunately. And I did state this would happen, just sayin'.

Thanks mate hadn't read that. That's pretty damning in what it infers.
It's an interesting piece of information, very similar to what was heard when one of our 2012 trades want to his new home in 2013. So bad for so long.

Hearing the same sort of info for nearly a decade also makes wonder about the internal drive of our group collectively over that time. You can't tell me blokes couldn't tell they weren't up to standard? But then of they did realise, they didn't do much about raising the standards themselves.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My thoughts aren't about how this has happened after 4 fours in a row, it's why it didn't happen after 2 years? Why did it take the 3rd coach we've had in those four years to be 'irritated' for anything to happen? How could the place become so amateurish in those four years? Who, if anyone, was driving any sort of high-performance culture and beyond these sackings, how can the malaise we're in get cut out?
You have to wonder what on field leadership was doing - or rather not doing - during this period.

At some point senior players need to accept responsibility and question amateur practises.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
WE haven't really had a stable set up since the end of 2018 tho. So while i agree with the principle of what you are saying this is the first time since then that this sort of thing could have happened. We've had so much instability that making an accurate assessment of where we are at hasn't been easy.

True. Poor coaching choices over the past four years have hindered an clear vision of this aspect of the club. But my point alludes to the 4 years. We currently have 40 players on our list - 27 of them know nothing of our club other than the last 4 years. Only 7 have more than half their NMFC experience beyond the last 4 years. We have almost an entire list of players who have never been part of an elite, meticulously prepared, professional unit. The on-field leaders wouldn't know what it looks like. When your 'high-performance' program is one of the lowest performed aspects of the club, it's a real worry.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Matt Ferraro?!

a bit stiff because he was a die hard North supporter at uni, but he has a back ground in Exercise Science and a High Perfomance Masters.

With all do respect, how the * was he the rehabilitation coordinator?? On that premise, with my bachelor in ex sci and masters in clinical ex physiology - I was higher qualified for that rehab coordinator position. That’s outrageous. You need someone with a lot of injury and rehab experience. Rehab coordinator is so, so different then determining training work rates and ‘high performance’. High performance is just a fancy term used to tell athletes to follow these guidelines based on best practice anyway.

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne overhauls high-performance department after injury-plagued season
By Sam Edmund

North Melbourne has reacted swiftly to another injury-plagued season by overhauling its high-performance department.

The Kangaroos have cleaned out the fitness arm of the club, with several staff told last week that they wouldn’t have their contracts renewed, while others have departed throughout the second half of the season.

David Noble’s encouraging debut season at Arden St came despite an ongoing injury crisis that saw him regularly having to cope without a contingent of first-choice players.

It’s understood the new coach has been irritated by the level of unavailability, leading to a staff cleanout.

Head of-high performance Matt Turnbull left in May, strength coach Alex Moore departed in July and the Roos’ longest-serving football department staff member, strength and conditioning coach Jona Segal, moved on last week.

But their departures have been followed by the exits of head doctor Bianca Scotney, assistant strength coach Josh Humphries, rehabilitation co-ordinator Matt Ferraro, sports scientist David Sobey and trainer Alister Wright.

For four consecutive years the Kangaroos have ranked No.1 in the competition for games lost due to injury.

The high-performance clean slate is the latest off-season reset at North Melbourne, following last year’s coaching staff overhaul and league-high 15 list changes.

That’s not an overhaul. That’s a bloodbath.

From my perspective,

The availability of players has been a massive impact on our ability to play finals, go deep into finals and and reach GF's.

We have horrific injury lists dating back many years,

2016 stung me badly....: "But the timing and nature of the Kangaroos' recent woes has been particularly cruel, with a spate of setbacks playing a key role in their rapid drop from first to eighth on the ladder. after being top of the ladder."

The point being, we deserve better in our health department. Availability = finals

full stop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bullshit Noble and Blakey were infuriated with how unfit our squad was/is. And how the " High Performance" team conducted their work ,alleviated themselves to a ridiculous level. Put themselves above the players , " without us there is no game ". ******* crazy sh*t.

And it has Scotts dirty finger prints all over it. I hate Carlton but I did spend sometime on their board imploring them not to give Scotts the coaching job. That would be just nasty.

But it will take 3 years to fix the mess unfortunately. And I did state this would happen, just sayin'.

Been waiting for this for years. It’s one of the most important thing to get right.

We are on the right track.

Eh. Utah was more than just about training though, there was a big team/club bonding aspect to it as well.

But it was sold as high altitude training that would enhance our players fitness and give us an edge, did it achieve that goal?? BTW team building/bonding can be done effectively without leaving the country 😉

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But it was sold as high altitude training that would enhance our players fitness and give us an edge, did it achieve that goal?? BTW team building/bonding can be done effectively without leaving the country 😉
Players were funding it themselves. It was an opportunity for them to go watch some American sports while they were up there too. God knows why you'd want to watch them but it seems like a lot of young males go through a phase of thinking it's awesome.

We also have the benefit of hindsight too. Early days it was an inconclusive theory that trended towards improvements (more evidence needed). Nowadays a lot clearer.
Matt Ferraro?!

a bit stiff because he was a die hard North supporter at uni, but he has a back ground in Exercise Science and a High Perfomance Masters.

With all do respect, how the fu** was he the rehabilitation coordinator?? On that premise, with my bachelor in ex sci and masters in clinical ex physiology - I was higher qualified for that rehab coordinator position. That’s outrageous. You need someone with a lot of injury and rehab experience. Rehab coordinator is so, so different then determining training work rates and ‘high performance’. High performance is just a fancy term used to tell athletes to follow these guidelines based on best practice anyway.
Round hole square peg type stuff. Mind boggling.

I think mates + cost cutting are the biggest reason we got into this mess. Jona having exercise and nutrition quals = 2 for a price of 1 (beauty thinks the football department). Plus he's mates with Boomer and he vouchs for him. Sweet...nothing to see there!!!

Then we shuffle deck chairs around to accommodate existing workers and keep everyone happy and staff stay on. End result is Matt has a job he has no business doing.

Amateur hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back