Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The better physiotherapists do not work at AFL clubs, generally the money is lower there than other workplaces.

If I was to draft in my own team to run the medical side of things down at NMFC, I would bring back one former NMFC physio who is currently working with a different football code AND interstate with his own practice.
The second would be a person who has been with an elite sporting team that won 2 grand finals in 8 years plus numerous finals
(and one losing GF), has been with that sports national team, does consulting work for two other sporting organisations.

The club needs to seek out individuals who have a proven track record of turning sports/athletes around, rather than going to the bottom of the barrel. Simply, seek out the best possible people and pay them accordingly, or, continue to be a joke.

This 100%

We need to get this right

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
te
This is completely & utterly besides the point.

This is not even remotely about Dr Unglik being a good doctor or a good person.
You want a focus on football - well, men's football, anyway. Fair enough.

One of the biggest problems we have had in the last five years (at least) has been injury management. Too many players getting injured, too long to recover. This hurts the football team.

But when we put medical issues on the agenda permanently at board level by getting a life member of the club, someone who was there during our last successful period, who was club doctor during the reign of club legends like Barry Cable, John Kennedy, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Denis Pagan, you call him an impostor and say he should be sacked because, well, just because. Perhaps you didn't realise he was there and are to proud to admit you were wrong.

Look, I've had issues with the board, I voted against Archer last year, but sacking them all without regard to who they are, what skills they bring and what they do is just being petty.

WHAT THE fu** HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH RUNNING A FOOTBALL CLUB?!!!! HAVE YOU DROPPED 60 I.Q. POINTS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?!

You are so invested in propping up your personal mates & politics, that you cannot see straight any longer.

Whatever - shouting at people and making personal attacks isn't a discussion.

Your whole "wokesters infest the joint" narrative is ruined by the fact that the mob sitting on top right now are as woke as us and have Susan Alberti, the mob that are second just appointed a female Prez and the most successful club of the last five years have a female chair and are as woke as s**t.

If you want to have an actual discussion about injury managment, go for it, if you want to scream about your political views, I'm not interested.

Just using it as a example mate haha first year and already has hammy issues. I got this horrible feeling that it will turn to the famous “2 weeks”

impossible

Found it interesting that they were so careful with Charlie and that Charlie himself fewlt he could puyt his hand up and say "hey, dunno if I'm right here".

I see that as progress.

He's certainly going well at HBF; I imagine if he can keep his form up, he'll get another year, maybe a second with triggers

Nobody has ever doubted Aaron's ability. Aaron's issue has always been that he plays these bursts of games at top notch, then goes missing for half a season.

FWIW I reckon it has clicked for him at HB now.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Found it interesting that they were so careful with Charlie and that Charlie himself fewlt he could puyt his hand up and say "hey, dunno if I'm right here".

I see that as progress.
of course people are upset about where we are at, and look at the injury list as a symptom of maladministration, except you only have to take a cursory interest in the game to see that across the board people are talking about the higher injury toll this year. Our problem is this looks so much worse when we have little depth having unloaded experienced players that we think aren't part of the group in 3 years time

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nobody has ever doubted Aaron's ability. Aaron's issue has always been that he plays these bursts of games at top notch, then goes missing for half a season.

FWIW I reckon it has clicked for him at HB now.
Might’ve been the undiagnosed nasal problem, that they finally sorted, good injury management?

of course people are upset about where we are at, and look at the injury list as a symptom of maladministration, except you only have to take a cursory interest in the game to see that across the board people are talking about the higher injury toll this year. Our problem is this looks so much worse when we have little depth having unloaded experienced players that we think aren't part of the group in 3 years time

Exactly. You could make the argument we've had about comp-wide average for injury then just a real hefty dose of s**t luck (Luke tearing pec, Taz condition etc) on top.

The better physiotherapists do not work at AFL clubs, generally the money is lower there than other workplaces.

If I was to draft in my own team to run the medical side of things down at NMFC, I would bring back one former NMFC physio who is currently working with a different football code AND interstate with his own practice.
The second would be a person who has been with an elite sporting team that won 2 grand finals in 8 years plus numerous finals
(and one losing GF), has been with that sports national team, does consulting work for two other sporting organisations.

The club needs to seek out individuals who have a proven track record of turning sports/athletes around, rather than going to the bottom of the barrel. Simply, seek out the best possible people and pay them accordingly, or, continue to be a joke.
Sounds like a little bit of self promotion.

Sounds like a little bit of self promotion.
No, they're just two off the top of my head.

There's a lady in Christchurch, originally from Melbourne, who is highly credentialed that would be, "worth a look".

I'm sure if I had 10 minutes to think about it I could come up with 50+ people who would be far better options than the current lot.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did get told that Brown’s knee was stuffed which was the reason why they wouldn’t sign the big contract. I will be interested to see how Melbourne handle him.
To add more curiosity to that point- I'd been told years ago from Daw's Werribee playing days that his knees had no PCL/ shot PCL's (could be incorrect terminology as it was several years back and I'm not a knee doctor).
Interesting that they both leave in the same year as a regime change.
Perhaps a changing appetite for risk?

We need 4 x Aaron Hall's & LOL to the football myopics who were talking about delisting him.

Fair. At this rate he'd be on track for an extension and we could certainly use every extra senior player that can perform over the next 18 months.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This has been a issue for so long though and only now it’s clearly evident because of our lack of depth is exposed.

Injuries and lack of awareness correlates with horrible development of our depth

We can’t keep ignoring our “bad luck”

No, they're just two off the top of my head.

There's a lady in Christchurch, originally from Melbourne, who is highly credentialed that would be, "worth a look".

I'm sure if I had 10 minutes to think about it I could come up with 50+ people who would be far better options than the current lot.
If you tell me it’s IUB or Wristo I won’t believe you.

Back