our midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Re North. He seems a really shy and reserved guy in person from the couple of encounters I’ve had with him. I’d love him to succeed and obviously with us so I hope he doesn’t get homesick. Anyone know if his girlfriend has moved over?

I haven't but from what I onow he had a couple of 50disp games as a bottom ager and Cerra rates him highly. That's enough for me.

I watched him in the pre season games for Peel plus some regular season games for Peel.

North was very good in 1 game and exceptional in another against Subi during the pre season. Then injury after injury and we never saw what he was made of.

His hard running and goal 40 mteres out on the boundary against Subi put me in shock and I'll never forget it.

I just wished he hadn't broken down when he did.

I cant help but think we are better off with inside mids then people seem to think. I think Walters will play a lot more midfiled this year. In 2017 he dominated when his midfield minutes in the contested ball winning department. Considering last year he kicked 22 golas in 18 games I think his goal kicking would go up (in 2019 compared to 2018) if his on ground time went up to 75/25 midfield to forward role. While Blakely should also help cover the loss of Neale and Conca could be a bit of surprise packet considering he seemed to do well when playing onball for Richmond last year.

Last edited:
From what I've seen North seems to have all the tools to be a very good midfielder very soon, but might just need some time to develop a bit more physical robustness.

haselby says logue to wing does everyone agree with that considering we already have two hills and langdon

Nope. I like him going across half back. Haselby has more idea about the Macca's menu than coaching if his half time interviews with that nufty is anything to go by.

Nope. I like him going across half back. Haselby has more idea about the Macca's menu than coaching if his half time interviews with that nufty is anything to go by.
Yes I agree, or running on the ball.Similar in size to Mundy.Maybe bigger.Get him and Fyfe to cause chaos around the contests.
Midfielder or on baller for me

I think we have more than enough outside runners both hills and Langdon.
But with Neale leaving we only really have fyfe as an experienced inside midfield so therefore cerra, brayshaw, blakely, banfield, logue development is the most crucial part to 2019 midfield performance.
I'm exited because they will all one day be brilliant.

I wouldn't consider Stephen Hill an out side runner.I don't think he has been that for several seasons now.He is more a defensive inside player, who doesn't use his run enough.I think Lyon has used him differently for several years.

I wouldn't consider Stephen Hill an out side runner.I don't think he has been that for several seasons now.He is more a defensive inside player, who doesn't use his run enough.I think Lyon has used him differently for several years.

I think he’s best suited to being a mainly outside player but we’ve used him incorrectly for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many players have all of the following (and certainly no one else on our list does): speed, endurance, elite skills, experience and an AFL hardened body. Stephen Hill should be one of the best outside midfielders in the comp. He is my first selected winger.

Not many players have all of the following (and certainly no one else on our list does): speed, endurance, elite skills, experience and an AFL hardened body. Stephen Hill should be one of the best outside midfielders in the comp. He is my first selected winger.
I agree, but most of his better games have been as inside mid. Seems to be able to get involved more. He's ok as hbf

I like the combo of S Hill, Blakely, and Fyfe in the centre square.
I watched the first Essendon game again the other day and Blakely was superb off the hbf.
S Hill and Blakely may rotate with each other at hb/midfield, unless someone pushes them out of there. I wouldn't mind the three of them inside mid either though

\'-*
I watched the first Essendon game again the other day and Blakely was superb off the hbf.
S Hill and Blakely may rotate with each other at hb/midfield, unless someone pushes them out of there. I wouldn't mind the three of them inside mid either though
great point.

We can rotate good number of players through the middle (doesn't include Matera).

Availability from our best players is nice but more longevity from some of our ruck stocks would be nicer for our midfield.

Playing blocks:

R1-R13
Sandilands only managed 10 games straight and is heading into his last season.
R11-R16 Apeness played 5 games straight but really should of been dropped after 3.
R11-R19 Jones 3 straight, wasn't fit to be a four-quarter player.
R16-R23 Darcy coming off an injury played 5 games straight, was gassed after HT in most of the 7.

And that's why we didn't delist Apeness or Jones like so many people on here harped on about. We need all of them to improve their fitness and to be available for us, makes a big difference. No doubt all four will play throughout the year, although hopefully they're better prepared physically and improved playing wise. Decent chance Meek gets a debut sometime after the bye if things repeat themselves.

Reading about Logue's goals this year on the AFL website he mentioned he would look to model his game on J McGovern's. Personally, I'd prefer him to look to be another P Cripps type as I feel the backline is adequately stocked without him
Cox should be the MJ replacement IMO

Reading about Logue's goals this year on the AFL website he mentioned he would look to model his game on J McGovern's. Personally, I'd prefer him to look to be another P Cripps type as I feel the backline is adequately stocked without him
Cox should be the MJ replacement IMO
Trying to take him from where he is now, to Patrick Cripps, would be a hell of a gamble. He can learn a lot by being the third tall defender with a license to roll off his man. He's at the start of a long career hopefully. Happy for him to take the Pavlich pathway.

Trying to take him from where he is now, to Patrick Cripps, would be a hell of a gamble. He can learn a lot by being the third tall defender with a license to roll off his man. He's at the start of a long career hopefully. Happy for him to take the Pavlich pathway.
exactly this, get him comftorable and good at one thing before we start throwing too much at him. More than happy for him to transition to the midfield in time, but he's got ages before he needs to be that. If the transition to midfield fails now, his careers probably shot, if it fails after hes a well established backmen, hell just get shifted back. Much better off developing him where hes comftorable and challenging him later down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back