Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best starting 3 is probably the weakest in the league. But we have a good spread of midfielders for field stoppages .

Curren once got 13 cp's and 7 clearances at AFL level. I thought that was promising.
Templeton, Not so promising IMO.
At VFL, when played as a midfielder, he was regularly getting 30 possessions as a midfielder. He's doing the same for Port this year.

At VFL, when played as a midfielder, he was regularly getting 30 possessions as a midfielder. He's doing the same for Port this year.

He was given opportunities though in general, even as forwards players give some indication of being able to get the ball.
For example ,even without the 3 goals, Minchington got 16 touches, 5 contested possessions. Templeton never achieved that.
Minch has also won some clearances in other games.

I think Templeton is just one of those who can't make the transition.

I think Richo should try and change some things around midfield. Give a chance to Sinclair & Gresham and swap them around (midfield to forward). If stevens is fit to play then bring him in the team to replace Dunstan. Make sure Gresham and Sinclair gets enough time in midfield and give them enough games to grow in their new position. Let them play without any pressure and without any fear of losing their spot in the team.

Savage has to come back coz we need his kicking skills. We had so many turnovers against Geelong because of awful kicking. I am not sure who do we drop to bring savage back in the team. Especially against Hawks where we can use our pace to outrun them. Precise kicking is very important.

Last edited:
I think Richo should try and change some things around midfield. Give a chance to Sinclair & Gresham and swap them around (midfield to forward). If stevens is fit to play then bring him in the team to replace Dunstan. Make sure Gresham and Sinclair gets enough time in midfield and give them enough games to grow in their new position. Let them play without any pressure and without any fear of losing their spot in the team.

Savage has to come back coz we need his kicking skills. We had so many turnovers against Geelong because of awful kicking. I am not sure who do we drop to bring savage back in the team. Especially against Hawks where we can use our pace to outrun them. Precise kicking is very important.
Would prefer white mckenzie or rice have to start getting games into these guys.

I reckon I could have got a few possessions on one leg in the last quarter if I was playing for Geelong- nobody would have come near me for the Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recall Geary missing a target this year by foot.
I can think of a few, but you're right, it has vastly improved. Which only adds to the sense in moving him into the midfield. We're missing hard bodies in there - well Gears is as hard as a cat's head.

His point was moot the moment he started trying to be clever.
clip.gif

Been to all four games in Melbourne. He's been exceptional this year by foot.

But reasons.
Great, so would you move him to the midfield as a hard enforcer, and put an in form Rice in his spot in the backline?

I can think of a few, but you're right, it has vastly improved. Which only adds to the sense in moving him into the midfield. We're missing hard bodies in there - well Gears is as hard as a cat's head.

He seems to be able to win a bit of the ball too.

...well Gears is as hard as a cat's head.

If the particular cat you're referring to is Selwood, then that head should pay for itself many times over in free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back