Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope Armo can get back to his best next year , we have missed him this year. If we make the finals it will be interesting to see if they play Armo assuming he gets fit and hits form.
Armo being played depends on his fitness/form, obviously. It also depends on the form of the inside mids currently being played Steele, Stevens, Dunstan & Ross. You'd think at least 1 will be under achieving at some point unless we are flying.

Armo being played depends on his fitness/form, obviously. It also depends on the form of the inside mids currently being played Steele, Stevens, Dunstan & Ross. You'd think at least 1 will be under achieving at some point unless we are flying.

As much as I hope all of them are flying , there is a small part of me which wants to see Armo back in the ones.

I think the thing you have to remember is that our midfield set up is considerably different to past years in terms of personnel.

We've just added Steele and Stevens so they take time to fully gel
Armo has been a no show
Stuv is being heavily tagged
Dunstan hasn't come on as his preseason form indicated
Gresh and Sinc are coming in for bit roles and learning

We'll get there and there is nothing to suggest we won't only get better
I'll take the glass half full

Two very big IF's, but if we landed Kelly and Freeman came good I reckon our midfield would shape up completely differently and pretty much match it with any other midfield group in the league. Breaking the midfield down it would look as follows:

A+ grade
Kelly, Steven, Ross

B
Sinclair, Steele, Freeman

Depth/potential
Acres, Armo, Stevens, Dunstan

If Billings, Gresh and Mav also rotate through the middle on occasion, you have up to 9 quality players rotating through the midfield in any given game. Landing Kelly would be absolutely huge.

Two very big IF's, but if we landed Kelly and Freeman came good I reckon our midfield would shape up completely differently and pretty much match it with any other midfield group in the league. Breaking the midfield down it would look as follows:

A+ grade
Kelly, Steven, Ross

B
Sinclair, Steele, Freeman

Depth/potential
Acres, Armo, Stevens, Dunstan

If Billings, Gresh and Mav also rotate through the middle on occasion, you have up to 9 quality players rotating through the midfield in any given game. Landing Kelly would be absolutely huge.

Armo is depth potential..... I CALL BULLSHIT

Our midfield has had zilch effect in the last couple of games, and has had a few beltings this season - if we dropped players on form, then the midfield would be at Sandy next week. I feel for Acres as I think Richo has failed to settle him in a role, and now he has lost confidence. The midfield is our big problem. I might excuse Dunstan, as he had a reasonable go last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about rest of year? He's hardly been playing at his usual output.
Its not like its his first year being tagged.

Said it before that Jack needs to be close to fully fit to be at his best. Hasn't been this year plus the fact that he is the only mid that gets tagged has meant a drop off. Will be back to his best next season if we get a star mid to help and he is fully fit.

Purely Hypothetical.
But if we were to get Kelly this off season, coupled with the development of Ross, Steele, Acres and Dunstan. As well as the good contribution from Koby.

Where does Armo fit in our team going forward? Will be 30 next year and has only really had one standout year in 2015.

Purely Hypothetical.
But if we were to get Kelly this off season, coupled with the development of Ross, Steele, Acres and Dunstan. As well as the good contribution from Koby.

Where does Armo fit in our team going forward? Will be 30 next year and has only really had one standout year in 2015.

Depth. I'm more worried you have not even bothered to include our best mid.

Purely Hypothetical.

Don't think he does tbh. Already arguably have too many slow inside mids and if they're all outperforming Armo...

Purely Hypothetical.

Can never have enough good midfielders Armo could take Weller's spot and rotate.

Can never have enough good midfielders Armo could take Weller's spot and rotate.

Not really. Unfortunately a few of our mids are pure mids. We need a few more who can play elsewhere and that is why Acres doesn't play in the middle. Gresh isn't fit enough but he also plays elsewhere because he can. Ross cant, Stevens really cant, Armo cant, Steele seems to only play well on the ball. Another reason Kelly would be a huge pick up.

David Armitage - Contested Possessions 2011. 167 - average 7.5
2012. 164. average 8.
2013. 202. average 11.
2014. 155. average 10. ( Knee laceration and subsequent staff infection ).
2015. 261. average 12.
2016. 214. average 10 ( whilst having back problems that most here consider to be chronic and crippling ).

Average contested possessions in 2018 for.
Stevens 8.
Ross 10.
Steele 10.
Dunstan 8.

Most contested possessions in 2016 : 19 round 1 , 15 round 23. Worst:

Personal bests in 2017: Steele 20. Dunstan 13. Ross. 17. Stevens 13. Steven 16.

Not cooked. He's a very solid player with finals experience.
Hate posters who want to crucify an player with an injury to his LEG , because he can't play this week to remind their goldfish brain that he is a good player.
Doesn't matter anyway, the club will keep him.

Depth. I'm more worried you have not even bothered to include our best mid.
You already answered your own question as to why I left him out.. And that's because he's our best mid who can also play forward, so there's always gonna be a spot for Jack.
Armo on the other hand is similar to Luke, Koby and Steele, which is why I mentioned them.

David Armitage - Contested Possessions 2011. 167 - average 7.5
2012. 164. average 8.
2013. 202. average 11.
2014. 155. average 10. ( Knee laceration and subsequent staff infection ).
2015. 261. average 12.
2016. 214. average 10 ( whilst having back problems that most here consider to be chronic and crippling ).

Average contested possessions in 2018 for.
Stevens 8.
Ross 10.
Steele 10.
Dunstan 8.

Most contested possessions in 2016 : 19 round 1 , 15 round 23. Worst:

Personal bests in 2017: Steele 20. Dunstan 13. Ross. 17. Stevens 13. Steven 16.

Not cooked. He's a very solid player with finals experience.
Hate posters who want to crucify an player with an injury to his LEG , because he can't play this week to remind their goldfish brain that he is a good player.
Doesn't matter anyway, the club will keep him.
Settle down mate.
My original question was purely hypothetical asking where does he fit in our team at 30 years of age if we were to get Kelly.
Nowhere did I say he was cooked.

Chill out.

Gresham needs to improve his endurance over the pre-season to give the midfield a badly need chop-out. And also to add the ability for him to spend extended minutes through there.

You already answered your own question as to why I left him out.. And that's because he's our best mid who can also play forward, so there's always gonna be a spot for Jack.
Armo on the other hand is similar to Luke, Koby and Steele, which is why I mentioned them.
Armo, Dunstan, Stevens, Steele..all strong hard nuts but not fast. Gresh is highly skilled, but again no speedster, so we do need more leg speed in the midfield- fast accelerators who can maintain speed over a distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back