List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with the new inclusions its easy to forget what an absolute star Paddy Dow is going to be.
As for adding talent. Its all about new blood year in year out. I don't think the same 22 have ever won the premiership. Natural attrition will play a part and the chances of them all in the same side for ten years is not high but then again its Carlton and top line players rarely leave.

I don't think a flag 22 have ever played a game together again full stop.

Finally seem to have worked out you need to draft midfielders to play midfield, rather than flankers.

There should be enough size and skill to mix and match to finally force the opposition to match up on us, rather than the other way around. Most also seem to have enough ability to play in other positions, we are better placed than any other time in the last 20 years. Just need some time and patience as not all of them will work out, at least we have plenty of potential options.

It’s certainly talent laden.
When we can rest or start Crippa deep forward with other options to win clearances, we’re away.
A Taranto &/or Coniglio (FA) & it’d be jam packed, as would the resting forward spots plus bench.

We need the rabbit. :)

Feels as though we have set our sights on a FA mid and if we somehow attained Coniglio, along with tidying a little around the forward line, we could be/should be, very close to a well-rounded squad.

That Adelaide 1st we now hold could be used for a small/mid goal-kicker.
No idea who we may target (if indeed we do) but that would really balance up our squad quite well.

The completion of the squad isn't far away.
Maturity and hard-work (and some injury luck/maintenance) could set us up on the right path for some long-awaited sustained success.

probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, We have one gun mid and a bunch of kids who are yet to stake a claim in a consistent manner. Here is hoping we have a run of luck with injuries and they drive each other to success

probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, We have one gun mid and a bunch of kids who are yet to stake a claim in a consistent manner. Here is hoping we have a run of luck with injuries and they drive each other to success
What the hell is November for, if not getting ahead of ourselves??

Big questions is whether Walsh and Stoker will be best 22 in 2019. Young guys who have mature bodies but can run and play an outside role tend to be good value early. I think it will come down to how they meet the fitness criteria. There will be a lot of fring players putting in a strong case for selection.

Big questions is whether Walsh and Stoker will be best 22 in 2019. Young guys who have mature bodies but can run and play an outside role tend to be good value early. I think it will come down to how they meet the fitness criteria. There will be a lot of fring players putting in a strong case for selection.

I think you are on the money here gbat. I get the feeling Walsh might have enough attributes from round one to be best 22 outside mid. a lot of the really good mids have the ability to hold down those less physical roles from the get go. The question is, can the blues mids provide the physical support and grunt to allow him to thrive as an outside mid. need the kennedy's and cuningham's to bring the muscle

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves with our midfield, it has a lot of young talent but mature midfields beat young talent. I still feel that the quality can be tweaked a bit and that is hopefully what we do at the end of next season.

What we do have is a midfield that should be on the up and at it's best will display some really good footy. Definitely some solid additions and the future is looking bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great bunch of kids, but still a lot of development required in our midfield group.

Cripps and Fisher are the standouts.
Dow impressed in his first year, and looks like he could step up in output in the next year or two. I also think Kennedy is ready to step up as he seems to be over injuries.

SPS needs to back himself more, and generate more than 16 possessions a game.
Setterfield also needs time to get match hardened after a year out.
Walsh and Stocker are still 18 year olds and will have adjust to AFL tempo and mature opponents.

But I think it will be from 2020 and beyond that this core group will gel and exert its presence as formidable midfield group.

There is now plenty of talent stocked up through our midfield group.
How do we see this group working? Who will jump out and who may drop down the pecking order?
Can we play them altogether and if so, what other roles will some be asked to take up?

#13 Cripps_#1 Walsh_#3 Dow_#5 Setterfield_#6 Petrevski-Seton_#13 Kennedy_#19 Stocker_#27 Fisher

This group has the potential to play up to 10 years together. Do we need more midfielders now, or do we sit on this group and look elsewhere for talent?
Don’t forget Cuningham #23 if he gets it together it’ll be a massive bonus

Best 22 midfield, wings and rotations

Cripps
Dow
Fisher
Murphy
Ed Curnow
SPS
Kennedy
Setterfield

Hope Williamson pushes up to the wing but starts half back. Docherty stays in defence. Charlie, McGovern, Harry and whoever pushes up the field when the ball is coming out of defence ...

Fringe best 22 midfielders, wings (blocks in VFL and Senior 22)...

Walsh
Stocker
LO’b
Cuningham
Lang
Pickett

VFL midfielders season 2019

Polson
Jack Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Back