List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS is 4th year and Dow 2nd. I rate both extremely highly. Kennedy is a gun and so underrated as is Fisher

Ed I don't see a an extractor in the middle. More a hard runner/tagger who can accumulate and do team things

Walsh will step up quickly and I can't wait to see a fit Setterfield & Stocker.

Agree with all your observations - but have question marks over SPS tbh.

SPS is 4th year and Dow 2nd. I rate both extremely highly. Kennedy is a gun and so underrated as is Fisher

Ed I don't see a an extractor in the middle. More a hard runner/tagger who can accumulate and do team things

Walsh will step up quickly and I can't wait to see a fit Setterfield & Stocker.

ECurnow was our second best clearance winner last year behind Cripps and 34th best in the league. ahead of Mundy, Kelly, Crouch, Nathan Jones .....
Admittedly he didn't have many others to contend with there but he did a fine job under the weight imposed thoughtout our limited midfield group.

I'd still be surprised if he didn't continue with the role he had and accumulate the second most clearances in our team.

SPS could very well just be a very good flanker, and if that's the case we will still have plenty of depth in the midfield anyway.

That being said that quarter and a bit in his third game against Collingwood is something we've rarely seen from many of our young players coming through, and he was legitimately dominating as a midfielder against a more than handy midfield group.

Might just be a case of needing 4-5 seasons to play with the kind of freedom he had at junior level, but once he hits his stride we'll have a very strong footballer. Definitely keen to see his output with Russell being introduced and his first pre-season under his belt.

Was the best player of his age group as a junior in 2015.

You guys are pretty rough on a 20 year old kid thats only entering his 3rd year

If you compare him to others in his draft year he really is not that far behind

SPS will take time and is the type that will be better as the team improves

Indeed.

Too many people, including Carlton people who should know better, are judging 21 and under players as if they were mature footballers. At a stronger Club these same kids who get criticised for not showing enough would be eased into an easy role in the Best 22 after a couple of years on the list and would be praised for their potential when they show occasional flashes.

At Carlton the kids are being asked to immediately slot into Top 10 on the list type roles.

SPS is a gun in the making. Touch wood he gets a good pre season in and is able to get to more contests where he can show his undoubted talent. And doesn't look like a guy who has run out of petrol by round 6. A young AFL player needs at least two pre seasons to get to AFL fitness. SPS has had none. Hopefully this one is his first.

SPS has done amazing well in 2 seasons in a poor side and with little training. Impressive. Shown bits of what we can do. Once he has the fitness to maintain which will give him confidence he will be a star. Pure silk. Important is he never gives up and has played under adversity. The kid couldn't even speak English until he was 16. He is something special

If he keeps going the way is his this pre season you will see a vastly different and much improved player.

SPS has copped NONE of the unfair criticism that blokes like Weitering/SOJ and even Kennedy have copped - all these players have played much more accountable and more difficult roles than Mr teflon SPS. Fact is that up till now - Fisher/Dow are more developed and better performers than SPS - and LoB isn't far behind if at all. Both Charlie and Harry will have bigger impacts on ghames in 2019 if they continue their 2018 form as does SPS.

ALL the kids are kids - not just SPS.

SPS has copped NONE of the unfair criticism that blokes like Weitering/SOJ and even Kennedy have copped - all these players have played much more accountable and more difficult roles than Mr teflon SPS. Fact is that up till now - Fisher/Dow are more developed and better performers than SPS - and LoB isn't far behind if at all. Both Charlie and Harry will have bigger impacts on ghames in 2019 if they continue their 2018 form as does SPS.

I agree

Dow O’Brien Fisher Setterfield Kennedy Weitering Jack Charlie McKay are all kids.

And they will all be very very good if not even better

F

fact or your opinion mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS just has an aura about him. Something in him that says he'll win a Norm Smith one day. Dunno why, I just see that in him. Cripps I can see Brownlows and a plethora of B&Fs, Charlie I see Colemans and MVPs.

Something about SPS just says to me he needs to play in a Grand Final. Hope im right.

The last three really good mids we have drafted in Gibbs, Murphy and Cripps have all avg about 26 touches in their third season. Now I’m not saying I expect that from our players in their third year but most really good mids by their third years are usually pretty good AFL level players.
Players this year in their third season like Milera, Oliver, Dunkley, Mills, Seir, Gresham and Hopper are all already playing good football.
I’m expecting to see a fair bit of improvement

The last three really good mids we have drafted in Gibbs, Murphy and Cripps have all avg about 26 touches in their third season. Now I’m not saying I expect that from our players in their third year but most really good mids by their third years are usually pretty good AFL level players.
Players this year in their third season like Milera, Oliver, Dunkley, Mills, Seir, Gresham and Hopper are all already playing good football.
I’m expecting to see a fair bit of improvement

And all playing in better sides

I wonder what SPS's output would be like, if he was playing for a top 8 side

Like alley cats some of you.

Too many people, including Carlton people who should know better, are judging 21 and under players as if they were mature footballers. At a stronger Club these same kids who get criticised for not showing enough would be eased into an easy role in the Best 22 after a couple of years on the list and would be praised for their potential when they show occasional flashes.

That needs hanging on the wall

Really hope the penny drops for SPS, cause i can't help but feel he has the most natural talent out of all our outside mids.
He was our frustrating player to watch last season, he went through some bog ordinary patches, then went and did something amazing that made you stand on your hat and think "WOW, why can't he do that more often ?"

I will give him a fair bit of lee way cause he didn't learn English until a late part of his age/development, but geez, it may never happen, but if he can get it all sorted (mentally and confidence wise), we may have a Nicky Winmar midfield type maestro on our books (which is no faint praise, as Winmar was a true wizard)

SPS needs a big year … everyone says he is tracking well …. he needs to deliver. Our Midfield up until and including this last year gone has been putred ... taking Crippa out of the equation of course.

Our midfield sucked arse.
16 Carlton4464 202.9 3171 144.1 7635 347 76634.826812.2481 21.9 474 21.5 1396 63.5 192 8.7 201 9.1 32183 1462.9

That was ranked by totals clearances for stoppages …. 16TH!!! Even with Crippa.

This one is centre clearances with Crippa

12 Carlton4464 202.9 3171 144.1 7635 347 76634.826812.2481 21.9 474 21.5 1396 63.5 192 8.7 201 9.1 32183 1462.9

12TH!!!!

We do NOT have a good functioning midfield at stoppages.

As monumental as Crippa is …. the rest of the 3 fellas in that centre square let him down BIG time. You can say … oh .. they are only 2nd year players … or … yeah they are legacy players that wont be there in 2 years …… however the fact remains …..

PUTRID!

And all playing in better sides

I wonder what SPS's output would be like, if he was playing for a top 8 side
It’s a good question but it’s really hard to know because on output he wouldn’t have gotten a game in a good side last year. As Dow said, he was extremely lucky because he was getting opportunities very few do in their first season. Some thrive on the opportunity like Parish did and some of GWS youngsters did, (Cameron was unbelievable) others struggle.

SPS needs a big year … everyone says he is tracking well …. he needs to deliver. Our Midfield up until and including this last year gone has been putred ... taking Crippa out of the equation of course.

Our midfield sucked arse.
16 Carlton4464 202.9 3171 144.1 7635 347 76634.826812.2481 21.9 474 21.5 1396 63.5 192 8.7 201 9.1 32183 1462.9

That was ranked by totals clearances for stoppages …. 16TH!!! Even with Crippa.

This one is centre clearances with Crippa

12 Carlton4464 202.9 3171 144.1 7635 347 76634.826812.2481 21.9 474 21.5 1396 63.5 192 8.7 201 9.1 32183 1462.9

12TH!!!!

We do NOT have a good functioning midfield at stoppages.

That’s the past. Irrelevant in 2019. Very different Carlton coming your way

Cripps - Star
Kennedy - young & now fit
SPS - young & now fit
Curnow - mature star
Dow - young star
Walsh - real young star
Setterfield - young star. Needs to get fit
Lang - time to step up. Only 23
Stocker - talented kid
O’Brien- young star
Gibbons - elite at lower level. Mature body who could easily step up