List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves with our midfield, it has a lot of young talent but mature midfields beat young talent. I still feel that the quality can be tweaked a bit and that is hopefully what we do at the end of next season.

What we do have is a midfield that should be on the up and at it's best will display some really good footy. Definitely some solid additions and the future is looking bright.
So your saying we have a lot of boy wonders that will become caped crusaders...Love it....:p

When this bunch of kids starts winning one on ones between the arcs - Carlton will go from bottom to finals faster than you can say Shiel will regret listening to his GF's dad for the rest of his life. I have every confidence in the list and its ability - if someone has a clue about midfield coaching - forget bottom 4 next year.

When this bunch of kids starts winning one on ones between the arcs - Carlton will go from bottom to finals faster than you can say Shiel will regret listening to his GF's dad for the rest of his life. I have every confidence in the list and its ability - if someone has a clue about midfield coaching - forget bottom 4 next year.
Listening to SOS on the radio yesterday arvo..I reckon he agrees. And I do also.
We have to be frank and say our trade draft period exceeds all expectations and its a bonus on top of the talent already about to bloom. Anyone that can't see this I think will never ever be pleased.

I watched Walsh's highlights and some other stuff for the first time AFTER we picked him.

No wonder he was pick#1 - this kid is a midfield general/footy brain, kicks either side, and finds a way to put his mates to advantage and can kick his own goals thank you very much also he seems to run all day.

SO Setterfield might take a while to get match fit - GOOD because frankly and please someone help me here - how is Bolton going to fit all of:

LoB/Dow/Fisher/SPS/LoB/Walsh/Stocker/Cunningham/Pickett/Setterfield/Kennedy/Cripps/Murphy/Ed Curnow/Lang into a starting 22 FFS?

and for bonus points

Marchbank/Plowman/Jones/Weitering/Newman/Docherty/Simpson/Williamson/McCreadie/Thomas into one backline? Really??

oh yeah we have serious problems up front - NOT!!

Charlie/McGovern/Harry - ever one of these will require double teaming - and that is not counting a resting Cripps who is taller than Riewoldt!!

Fasolo/Garlett/Polson/Pickett/Cuningham/LeBois or whoever else Bolton can't fit into midfield - will have a field day either crumbing or being left alone in space by opposition trying to cover the tall brigade.

This a monster squad being assembled by SOS.

All that has to happen is for someone to come in that knows how to get players fit for 4 quarters - have we done that yet?

Bottom 2 favourites by journos- PIGS ARSE.

There is now plenty of talent stocked up through our midfield group.
How do we see this group working? Who will jump out and who may drop down the pecking order?
Can we play them altogether and if so, what other roles will some be asked to take up?

#13 Cripps_#1 Walsh_#3 Dow_#5 Setterfield_#6 Petrevski-Seton_#13 Kennedy_#19 Stocker_#27 Fisher

This group has the potential to play up to 10 years together. Do we need more midfielders now, or do we sit on this group and look elsewhere for talent?
Great thread idea Harks!

I see 2019 a year of team development and learning the gameplan and player cohesion. The midfield we have now assembled will be spectacular in a couple of years time but for now we are still growing.

I see Kennedy going forward much more if Stocker, Setterfield, Dow and Walsh can stand up or at least do a reasonable job. All of 22 games between so its a big ask but it will be a good challenge for them.

Fisher and SPS are 2 i see moving around a little. Maybe a hff role?

It's extremely exciting the talent now in the door. We need to now make use of FA and Coniglio is the one we need to go all in for. Add him to our midfield in 2020 and only great things will happen.

If Walsh and Stocker can get 10-15 games this year and Setterfield 15+, this will be a big factor in our 2020 rise.

Yep. When we get Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Dow Walsh Stocker all fit and firing they will win a lot of 50/50 ball. Takes pressure off our defence and gives better opportunities to our forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Walsh's highlights and some other stuff for the first time AFTER we picked him.

No wonder he was pick#1 - this kid is a midfield general/footy brain, kicks either side, and finds a way to put his mates to advantage and can kick his own goals thank you very much also he seems to run all day.

SO Setterfield might take a while to get match fit - GOOD because frankly and please someone help me here - how is Bolton going to fit all of:

LoB/Dow/Fisher/SPS/LoB/Walsh/Stocker/Cunningham/Pickett/Setterfield/Kennedy/Cripps/Murphy/Ed Curnow/Lang into a starting 22 FFS?

and for bonus points

Marchbank/Plowman/Jones/Weitering/Newman/Docherty/Simpson/Williamson/McCreadie/Thomas into one backline? Really??

oh yeah we have serious problems up front - NOT!!

Charlie/McGovern/Harry - ever one of these will require double teaming - and that is not counting a resting Cripps who is taller than Riewoldt!!

Fasolo/Garlett/Polson/Pickett/Cuningham/LeBois or whoever else Bolton can't fit into midfield - will have a field day either crumbing or being left alone in space by opposition trying to cover the tall brigade.

This a monster squad being assembled by SOS.

All that has to happen is for someone to come in that knows how to get players fit for 4 quarters - have we done that yet?

Bottom 2 favourites by journos- PIGS ARSE.
Mods: please let me give this post multiple 'likes'. Deserves them all.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should finish above, GC, freo, and stk. after that anything could happen.

Could finish above Brisbane, bulldogs, north, dare I say the crows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe not quite but yes it’s exciting definiteLy in a few years time we’ll be knocking down the door to top 8.
In 2019 there’ll be improvement ceratinly , not sure if we can escape bottom 5 though.
2020 onwards no problem at all.

please tell me Barker isn't running the midfield....

Serious question: How does this bloke continually keep getting a gig?
I know its our penchant to find someone to blame for our woes, and my first reaction is to agree with you.
But we could all be wrong. That Barker is actually good at what he does and the absence of anywhere near enough talent has made him look ordinary. Just saying. If one considers that succesive regimes keep him around.

SPS is a midfielder, and needs to play in the guts.. he is not a small fwd, and if he is played anywhere but in the guts he will fail. He needs to regularly get his hands on the footy and plays with confidence. If we back him in, I have no doubt he develops into an elite player.

This is the issue though in getting similar types as you start rotating between the two three to find the best, when maybe you could have just put confidence in the coaches to get the best possible out of that player in his preferred position.

I can see a situation where SPS gets squeezed out of the midfield and then we're starting to develop new positions for him and I'm not sure the wing will be a good fit for him, as I don't think he's quick enough to get off the mark.

Cripps: Will still likely start 80% of the time in the midfield.
Dow is that burst player that a good midfield needs. He'll also be a regular in the midfield.
Setterfield isn't the beast Cripps is, but he's a very clean handler of the ball and has the smarts to gain first possession and move the ball to advantage.
ECurnow and Murphy will still be around for some time yet (2-3 years) and likely to be a regular starters in the midfield until retirement.
Walsh has the endurance, smarts, vision and calmness to play midfield from very early on.

We then have Kennedy who will be used and likely to become the ECurnow replacement.
Mr. sticky fingers Fisher will surprise for the amount of time he spends in the midfield and then what?

How does SPS fit into the mix? He has the talent of course but you can't fit everyone into the same hole.
What's SPS's fall-back position going to be?
The knock on Stocker is apparently his endurance, but he's younger and seems to have the right attitude and a good head on his shoulders. I won't even bring him into the conversation for now.

What happens next year though if we do target Coniglio, which we'd be crazy not to?
I know he had his setbacks last/this year, but eyes will be on SPS if he doesn't clock his rating and express his latent talent more so than he has to date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back