List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So much talent - but funny thing is (without having seen Setterfield and Walsh to date), I think Fisher will be the best after Cripps. Kid is a freak.

Fisher will be very good and a big part of our future but Setterfield & Walsh are something very special. Dow as well. Not a criticism of Fisher at all but we are talking elite types

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
There’s a lot to like about Samo. Skilled, two sided, works hard and has footy smarts. I’d be working on his decisiveness when he has control of the footy. Take the game on Samo.

I see that as fatigue more than anything else. Senior players struggle without a pre season. This kid has never had one and most of the time they are defending. A fitter SPS, a fitter side, more help and we will see a big difference

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
SPS is the one I'm most interested in as for progress. The lack of preseason is now being ticked off, so there should be an upwards trend with performance. He has shown in bursts that rare quality of 'time' with ball in hand.
Setterfield moves like someone that can play, hopefully the body gives him a good run at it this year.

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
All top end talent

Never thought I’d say it but it will be our greatest ever midfield. Better than the mosquito fleet

Imagine if we add an established big name at years end??
Or 2 in fact.
Although i just get the feeling 1 of our own may choose to go back to their home state at the end of this year. Again, just a feeling

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be surprised and disappointed but you never know. Have to think we will do something with our Top 10 pick from the Crows
Theres no question in my mind that the midfield group we are all gagging over will change. We all would love them to stay together but there will be casualties and players traded to net us something else we desire.

SPS as much as i want him to succeed in the navy blue i feel may want to return to his home state. Sooner or later? No idea but its just a gut feel i have.

Can see the crows pick being traded.

My early list of players i hope we are looking at:
Taranto (gws)
Coniglio (gws) rfa
Haynes (gws) rfa
Tomlinson (gws) rfa
Ed Langdon (freo)
Cerra (freo)
Hugh Greenwood (adel)
Alex Sexton (gcs)
Jack Martin (gcs)
Jack Billings (stk)
Jade Gresham (stk)
Zak Jones (syd)

Long term

Sps
Sps
Walsh
Sps
Cripps
Sps

Short term
Fisher
Sps
Sps
Ed
Cripps
Kennedy

Edit: missed the round 1 qualifier. Eh. My post still says enough.

rather have Dow myself...in ST

as for LT - too hard.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Theres no question in my mind that the midfield group we are all gagging over will change. We all would love them to stay together but there will be casualties and players traded to net us something else we desire.

SPS as much as i want him to succeed in the navy blue i feel may want to return to his home state. Sooner or later? No idea but its just a gut feel I have.

I honestly can’t see it. This group is just to tight and focussed on making the club great again. SPS definitely won’t be going anywhere. Very settled and happy. They all love the club and the people involved. I can’t see anyone leaving. Another reason I don’t see many changes and the list settling.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
SPS as much as i want him to succeed in the navy blue i feel may want to return to his home state. Sooner or later? No idea but its just a gut feel i have.
I disagree. For this reason. He isn't really a city boy. But if hes is going to live in one why would he go to Perth when Melbourne has lots more of what he loves as much as the bush, which is footy. If he leaves it will be for the bush. If he keeps playing it will be for us. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
They are different players but i wouldn't say the length of the Flemington Straight, unless your no good with distances.;)

LOB would pull Dows pants down over the distance at Flemington …… I'de wager my houses on it.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor

Can see the crows pick being traded.

My early list of players i hope we are looking at:
Taranto (gws)
Coniglio (gws) rfa
Haynes (gws) rfa
Tomlinson (gws) rfa
Ed Langdon (freo)
Cerra (freo)
Hugh Greenwood (adel)
Alex Sexton (gcs)
Jack Martin (gcs)
Jack Billings (stk)
Jade Gresham (stk)
Zak Jones (syd)

There are some decent small/mid size forwards and midfielders in this draft. Probably better off keeping the pick.

Players like Billings, Gresham and Martin will cost 2 x first rounders and are really only B grade players to be honest. St Kilda and GC won't trade them cheap.

Even if the pick is in the mid teens, someone we rate may slide to our pick a la Liam Stocker style (rating #6 sliding to #19).

Going into the 2020 season, players like Kennedy, Curnow, McKay, Cunningham, Weitering etc will all be turning 23.

Marchy, Plowman, Crippa and the like will all be a year older. Filling the 23-26 age bracket should theoretically become less of a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
LOB would pull Dows pants down over the distance at Flemington …… I'de wager my houses on it.

O'brien will get more recognition for his work when the team improve their ball movement and utilise his running capacity and precision kicking on the outside more often.

Until then, expect O'brien to make good strides, improve his game and go under the radar whilst Crippa does his thing.

SPS won't shine for another 2 years IMHO ….. he is a finisher .. the one you want with the ball in hand delivering those bullshit right angled passes like a bullet to HungryMacs, You Can't say No and McLovinit

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-11/season-review-sam-petrevskiseton

Forward to 00:24 seconds to see the bullshit this cowboy is capable of.

He is silk …. not quite ready yet to show us all his wares until the mids get a handle on things.

Got hammered my thylacine60 about he needs to show something … same as Setterfield … but realistically they DO need to show more than last year and in Setterfields case he needs to prove his body can handle the rigours of AFl football.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
There are some decent small/mid size forwards and midfielders in this draft. Probably better off keeping the pick.

Players like Billings, Gresham and Martin will cost 2 x first rounders and are really only B grade players to be honest. St Kilda and GC won't trade them cheap.

Even if the pick is in the mid teens, someone we rate may slide to our pick a la Liam Stocker style (rating #6 sliding to #19).

Going into the 2020 season, players like Kennedy, Curnow, McKay, Cunningham, Weitering etc will all be turning 23.

Marchy, Plowman, Crippa and the like will all be a year older. Filling the 23-26 age bracket should theoretically become less of a priority.

If Gresham and Billings are only B grade players how will they cost 2 x 1st rounders ?
Adelaide's pick would be the guts of a trade as they are both OOC ...

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
If Gresham and Billings are only B grade players how will they cost 2 x 1st rounders ?
Adelaide's pick would be the guts of a trade as they are both OOC ...

Expect the word "potential" to come up in discussions a lot.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Fisher will be very good and a big part of our future but Setterfield & Walsh are something very special. Dow as well. Not a criticism of Fisher at all but we are talking elite types
Could you make a list of which players you think will become 'Elite' in 5 years and i would include Cripps in that list even though he will be 29 in 2023

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton

I dont believe gresham or billings would cost 2 x 1sts tbh

Back