Analysis Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

It essentially became pointless once Carlton didn't finish in the bottom 2 and the priority picks situation came in.
A top 5 pick surely has to be better than 2 in the teens in a weaker draft?

Plus when are we going to play all these kids?

Apart from the Melbourne game (where he kept Oliver to 2 touches in the 3rd before Oliver got another 9 disposals in the last) when has Gibbs played well as a tagger?
He played on Rockliff a couple of years ago when he was at Carlton and neither of them got a touch...note, may also have been Rocky tagging Gibbs

Game plan and positioning is the biggest problem. How many times do you see crows players get sucked into a contest? Either in the air or on the ground. The way we move the ball is also fundamentally flawed.

Most people would have been pretty happy at the start of the year with a starting midfield of Sloane, M Crouch and B Crouch.

Agree with this.

Our midfield isn't elite, but it is quality.

But it is shitfully coached - so looks like garbage.

Our midfield coach at one time had Scott Thompson in his prime, Dangerfield and Sloane getting fed the ball by a Sauce Jacobs who was probably the 2nd or 3rd best ruck in the competition.

Yet we still got thrashed in the midfield regularly.

Doesn't matter what talent you put in there, the system is the first issue that needs to be resolved.

This. The system. Our midfield is stat enhanced and has forward quality way below a pass mark.

Midfield is clearly too one paced. Crouch x 2, Sloane, CEY, Gibbs & Greenwood are way too slow. They all get sucked into the contest and our opponents push them in and stand back to collect the easy ball or pressure our players into blindly hack it forward.

We need to inject Milera, Smith, Jones, McHenry & co in ASAP to provide some buzz and creativity, but also our coaches need to adjust to our opponent and have a player or two hang out on the outside.

Oddly enough in 2012 we had some good set plays with Danger & Thommo providing some really good pure clearances.

Love this. 'pure clearances' - how good would some of that be !!

It's hard to tell what's player inadequacy and what's bad coaching.

For instance, our mids burn the ball- Sloane is a key culprit, but at the same time our mids appear to be instructed to bomb the ball super high into 50 to create pack situations for contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't have elite pace or size and athleticism in the midfield, then you need elite pinpoint skills.

That's where a midfield built around sloane and the Crouch brothers will always fail, especially against quality opposition.

I think the problem is actually the combination in which the midfielders are played. The coaches insist on playing these 3 at the same time and I've also noticed that when CEY was around, they'd play himself and Greenwood together.

I think that's crazy.

You want midfielders with complimentary skills and different looks.

If you're playing Mrouch youd probably go with Greenwood and maybe Smith. You know Crouch can get the ball so you want someone who can break away that he can give it to. You also know he's horrid at defending so you need Greenwood and Smith to cover. You have to 2 bigger bodies in Smith and Greenwood too.

You'd then play CEY with Brouch and Milera. Mileras elite disposal will offset the 2 others. CEY would be able to feed Brouch and Milera on the breakaway.

You then switch Sloane with either crouches whilst he rest in the forward line, or even half back line.

Need to be able to read what is happening and make changes accordingly and not be so rigid. Eg If we feel we need to clamp down in the midfield, change the rotation to being more defensive, ie any 3 of Greenwood, Smith, Sloane, Brouch, Knight. Keep Mrouch the f away.

Just be proactive.

It's hard to tell what's player inadequacy and what's bad coaching.

For instance, our mids burn the ball- Sloane is a key culprit, but at the same time our mids appear to be instructed to bomb the ball super high into 50 to create pack situations for contests.
I don't think the reason they bomb is because our midfield lacks genuine class. They know they can't hit that short pass, so the long bomb is just a safer bet in their minds. Mileras the exception.

Let's be honest, we have very few really smart people in our coaching ranks. They are dumbasses who understand the percentages from being around football.

They know what the percentage call to make to not look stupid is. They also set out to prove that over the long run their decisions are proved statistically to be more correct than the potential riskier calls. So they become dogged in seeing these decisions through.

There is no insight, vision, or courage.

This will never win a premiership.

Our regime of Sloane, Crouch, CEY, Douglas has been the staple that only changed once the media criticism started. But what we haven't seen is FOG in the midfield, Jones, Wilson, Gooch not to mention the injured Poholke etc.

The most infuriating thing is the love affair with bringing new midfielders into the side as a HF, the graveyard position. This is exactly where you put the accumulators such as Matt Crouch whilst Gooch, Jones, hell even FOG are brought directly into the guts.

I think our midfield's inability to defend and in particularly the way opposition just run through our midfielders on the fast break is our biggest issue and why WCE, Geelong, Port and Essendon beat us.

Dylan Shiel had no respect for our guys once they won the ball at HB. A few of our guys laid hands on him, but couldn't stop him. At time he broke two and three "tackles" to move the ball forward.

By tackle I mean stopping a guy. Not just laying hands on him to slightly impede them.

This to me is our biggest issue. It is not fitness or being slow. It is insufficient tackle technique to stop an opposition player in free space.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’s a good idea unless it’s 2 top 10s. Otherwise we’ve effectively traded 19 in a stronger draft and this year’s first for 2 similar picks.

This is our year to get an elite talent.

Besides we can’t get our kids in now, what’s the point of stockpiling more?
If we dont have a top two pick and the guys 3 to 12 are evenly rated it is better to get two of them instead of one.

This draft we need to stock up on quality mids.

I would even consider trading for Luko as he is more a Patrick Cripps type player than a KPF/D IMO.

I don't think the reason they bomb is because our midfield lacks genuine class. They know they can't hit that short pass, so the long bomb is just a safer bet in their minds. Mileras the exception.

No, I genuinely think it was instructed.

When we decided to play this slow it down, contest, low scoring game to try to week wins out of an old bad list, we went towards it.

If we dont have a top two pick and the guys 3 to 12 are evenly rated it is better to get two of them instead of one.

I would even consider trading for Luko as he is more a Patrick Cripps type player than a KPF/D IMO.

If the players are evenly rated there's no one that will pay two of them for one of them.

Why do people constantly propose trades as if they don't include other parties.

It's weaker outside the top 2, a lot of people think it's pretty even after that. Pick 5, pick 12, might not have a heck of a lot of difference in recruiters eyes.
But you’re always going to have a preference and you’re going to get it at 5 and possibly not at 12

When and how will we play this kids? We can’t fit in what we have now

If the players are evenly rated there's no one that will pay two of them for one of them.

Why do people constantly propose trades as if they don't include other parties.
Fair point.

First we need a club with two diserable picks. That club then needs to want our lower pick.

I personally cant see it happening. But if it could happen it is worth exploring.

Having said that Port traded pick 9 for the two picks they used in SPP and Marshall. Sydney picked Florent with that pick. Clear winners in that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back