Opinion Our most exciting player

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't need to improve much on what he was producing early this year, he just needs to do it most weeks.

Consistency yes.

He needs to stay fit to achieve that.

Agree his best might be our best too

Ok I'm looking forward to the draft sure.

Who do you think is our most talented young player on our list to reach greater heights?

Simpkin?
Thomas?
LDU?
Scott?
Larkey?
Zurhaar?
etc

Can only pick one.
Surprised by the lack of mention for McKay. Think he has the real potential of turning into an AA defender in the next couple of years, and his development trajectory was the best part of our year for mine.

Great thread Choppy!

I'm with you, I think Tarryn is still going to be our most exciting player. It's like footy's just woven into his being, and he just goes on instinct. I swear he's playing in a higher level of consciousness out there. Jy's got the instinctual movement too, but his is more of a grounded, take on the opponent directly, look them in the eye and grin as you dance your feet around them kind of thing. It's just as awesome, but it seems much more conscious that what TT does all throughout his game. I dunno, I guess it's more a question of what floats your own personal "excitement" boat. Haha.

I think our most important player is going to be Bailey Scott. But it'll in an under the radar kind of way, because he's not flashy, he's just sensible, skilled, and dependable. He's the player I thought had matured the most by a country mile this year. He's going to be very important to our consistency, and I think he needs to be in the side for as many games as possible. He's a bit of the quiet, unheralded glue, and I still say that one day he will be our Captain.

Anyways, TT is my most exciting, but Bailey's my overall fave player.

And dammit Choppy, you've made it too hard by saying we can only choose one! I managed to skirt that by making 2 categories, but now I don't know how I can work Curtis Taylor in. If he continues on the trajectory he started last year, he may well eclipse them all. And take mark of the year to boot.

Two final words - Flynn Perez. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Excellent range of choices which I think pretty much sums up why it certainly isn't all doom and gloom like others think, it's actually a quality group.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised by the lack of mention for McKay. Think he has the real potential of turning into an AA defender in the next couple of years, and his development trajectory was the best part of our year for mine.

Good call.

Would be huge for us if reaches that level.

Curtis Taylor for me. Reminds me of LT in that he can split a pack and win it on the ground.

Curtis Taylor for me. Reminds me of LT in that he can split a pack and win it on the ground.

Really nice kick Taylor has too.

My list for most exciting players (from what I've seen and just the kids):
1. LDU, Fast, clean and confident, if he has an uninterrupted season next year he will explode onto the scence as an A grade player
2. Curtis Taylor, great one-on-one player with a good kick, nothing more to say.
3. Jaidyn Stephenson, obviously he didn't have a good year but still has that massive upside potential. I also reckon we can cure him from being scared of the contest
4. Jy Simpkin, already an established player and a good ball winner.
5. Nick Larkey, composed in front of goals and averaging 1.4 goals a game is a good effort considering how terrible we were at moving the ball this year.
6. Tarryn Thomas, most upside out of all of these players and had a fantastic first season but dropped off and is a bit slow when it comes to disposing the ball, still has a lot of potential.
7. Bailey Scott, as composed as it gets when it comes to going for set-shots and kicking in general, combine that with his pace and he has potential to be a gun wingman.

GAP

8. Flynn Perez, like this mans physicality because he isn't scared or hurt at all by the contest. For someone that was pick 35 and was out for 18 months he had no right to play any games but he did and showed a lot.
9. Ben McKay, gonna be a gun shut-down defender, not much more to say
10. Kyron Hayden, has it all as a small defender really.
11. Cameron Zurhaar, very impressed with his 2019 season but this year he dropped off, butchered the ball more times than I'd want to admit and felt like he'd go missing alongside his lowered defensive efforts.
12. Jack Mahony, just a good player, that's it really

Our future is in good hands, don't mess this up North.

Last edited:
Without looking at stats or anything but does Curtis Taylor’s first few years remind anyone of a really young Nat Fyfe? Just the way he clunks those marks anywhere on the ground whilst being so wiry, really hope he fills out like Fyfe and develops a tank.

Both on and off the field - Taylor Garner

Both on and off the field - Taylor Garner

Not really in the age bracket but considering lack of games played I guess in some ways he can be included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back