News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

What the hell does the Football Ops Manager do? He doesn’t coach, doesn’t sit on selection, doesn’t manage the list. Does he book the flights, order the new equipment or something? I’m not convinced a club even needs one. Like those that exist in every business I’ve worked in, this position seems to be one of those positions in middle management that doesn’t add much if anything to the outcomes.

What the hell does the Football Ops Manager do? He doesn’t coach, doesn’t sit on selection, doesn’t manage the list. Does he book the flights, order the new equipment or something? I’m not convinced a club even needs one. Like those that exist in every business I’ve worked in, this position seems to be one of those positions in middle management that doesn’t add much if anything to the outcomes.
It’s just a coincidence then that wherever Balme goes they win a flag

It’s just a coincidence then that wherever Balme goes they win a flag
I reckon it might be.

interesting you didn’t have an answer

Having read the AFL’s description of this role, it seems to be basically an overseer of off field football operations. So making sure everyone knows their off field role and assist them to do it well. Also making sure the coaches have what they need.

As someone said earlier in this thread. It would be better to not have one than have a bad one like Burton. I reckon Burton didn’t really understand what he was.

Last edited:
I reckon it might be.

interesting you didn’t have an answer
Look you’re the one asking the question what they do and then passing judgement that they aren’t necessary, see the irony?

They manage the whole football program, no one else at the club does that. For starters they ensure the coaching panel and fitness program are aligned and on the same page. They would also be involved in key appointments, recruitment etc. That’s obviously a very simplified take as none of us really know unless we’ve worked at a club.

But we have evidence of what a really good Footy Ops Manager can achieve, ie Balme, coincidence my arse and what a bad one does, ie Burton.

Football Manager is the person who is the conduit between the Coach and the Board - and no that isnt the Football Director - though the football director is also a conduit

At its basic a good football manager and coach have similar philosophies - on game style , list management (despite your claim) and transitioning the list. A football manager is also the one that manages the line coaches and the interstate staff to ensure the messages are the same , that the oppo analysis is up to date ( both ground and players)

You are right it is a created position but the actual Middle Management position is the Football Director. The FD is the Board appointment and should oversee all aspects without getting fingers dirty. The FD sits on all the meetings and discusses/argues/allows/denies any cost oversight.

Walsh was from the old school, always felt there were too many people involved in a modern footy club.
He was right. That picture from the Essendon coaching box during this year epitomises the ridiculousness that AFL has become.
CF5C1C28-3269-4947-A01B-62D0D44954E4.jpeg

No, that’s what Harper does (co-ordinate team movements, training requirements etc etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This doesn't make sense to me. If this is the case, then Burton played minimal to no role in the reason the club fell below expectations from the last 2 years and there was no point for the external review to single him out and no point for the club to fire him. The blame must lie elsewhere if Burton hardly did anything relevant.

Look you’re the one asking the question what they do and then passing judgement that they aren’t necessary, see the irony?

They manage the whole football program, no one else at the club does that. For starters they ensure the coaching panel and fitness program are aligned and on the same page. They would also be involved in key appointments, recruitment etc. That’s obviously a very simplified take as none of us really know unless we’ve worked at a club.

But we have evidence of what a really good Footy Ops Manager can achieve, ie Balme, coincidence my arse and what a bad one does, ie Burton.
It's no coincidence that in most well run organisation that there are quality key personnel in management roles.

The Footy Manager is no different & a key person to the running the operations of a football club.

He was right. That picture from the Essendon coaching box during this year epitomises the ridiculousness that AFL has become.
View attachment 777252

madness. Seriously, there’s only so many plausible moves that can be made in-game. And realistically, it’s an art not a science. You don’t need a dozen people on game day looking at computers. The answer does not lie within the laptop. Preparing for next week, fair enough, but there’s no way that a coaches box needs that many people.

List Management did full under Brett Burton's, also the footy program and the opersting model that supports the delivery of the football program

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

When Sando was here we didn't have anyone in that position (until Noble was promoted in 2014), one of the complaints Sanderson made was once Bailey was suspended was he was stretched too thin since he was essentially the highest positioned guy in the football department, so he was spending time dealing with the medical departments, with the scouting departments etc and less time with the players.

So basically the Football Manager is the person everyone involved in the football department reports to, who then reports to the CEO and back down the chain that way. It's a middle management role, yes, but you need someone in that position who can interact, get along and deal with numerous departments including scouting, list management, coaches, medical etc and making sure they are all on the same page and moving towards the same goals.

When Sando was here we didn't have anyone in that position (until Noble was promoted in 2014), one of the complaints Sanderson made was once Bailey was suspended was he was stretched too thin since he was essentially the highest positioned guy in the football department, so he was spending time dealing with the medical departments, with the scouting departments etc and less time with the players.

So basically the Football Manager is the person everyone involved in the football department reports to, who then reports to the CEO and back down the chain that way. It's a middle management role, yes, but you need someone in that position who can interact, get along and deal with numerous departments including scouting, list management, coaches, medical etc and making sure they are all on the same page and moving towards the same goals.
Chiggy! he can do it.

That’s incorrect. We’ve always had a Football Ops Manager. It was Justin Reid, then Phil Harper, before Harper was gradually sidelined after the Tippett affair for Noble to be promoted and later Burton.

The roles no doubt evolved over the years, but it’s always been there.

Given the size of our organisation and that Fagan appears to focus more on the business side of things, I think the football op manager essentially runs the football side of the organisation. Would do a lot of setting structures/goals,reviewing progress, hiring/firing, acting as conduit between list management/coaching/rehab/high performance etc and then dealing with upper management, so I guess middle manage,ent to take the load off the coach and allow him to coach.

Sando’s issues were that he simply wasn’t capable of dealing with the day to day demands of being senior coach, which are still quite significant and why it’s be a joke if Nicks goes ahead without a Senior Assistant.

Cross Phil Smyth's name off the list...

Phil Smyth set to remain as Brisbane’s leadership mentor as Adelaide closes in on football department moves

He’s the ideal fit as Adelaide’s next leadership guru, but Phil Smyth feels there’s unfinished business as Brisbane coach Chris Fagan’s mentor next season.
Adelaide is moving to fill key positions within its football department following the exits of head of football Brett Burton and senior strategist Scott Camporeale.

Former GWS head of football Wayne Campbell is available to reunite with new Crows coach Matthew Nicks at West Lakes, but could be reticent to uproot family.

SANFL general manager Adam Kelly is yet to undertake any interview process regarding head of football.

The Advertiser understands former Australian batsman and Redbacks skipper Michael Klinger is being considered for roles as Adelaide’s Leadership/Culture head and national cricket selector.

Adelaide’s inaugural leadership boss must direct a revised approach that tackles a culture of self preservation among players identified by Dunstall.

“I will probably stay with Brisbane this year out of loyalty to Fages and Danny Daly and coaches there. I was a player/coaches mentor, you can call it what you like, just a little piece of the puzzle,” Smyth told The Advertiser.

That’s incorrect. We’ve always had a Football Ops Manager. It was Justin Reid, then Phil Harper, before Harper was gradually sidelined after the Tippett affair for Noble to be promoted and later Burton.

The roles no doubt evolved over the years, but it’s always been there.

Given the size of our organisation and that Fagan appears to focus more on the business side of things, I think the football op manager essentially runs the football side of the organisation. Would do a lot of setting structures/goals,reviewing progress, hiring/firing, acting as conduit between list management/coaching/rehab/high performance etc and then dealing with upper management, so I guess middle manage,ent to take the load off the coach and allow him to coach.

Sando’s issues were that he simply wasn’t capable of dealing with the day to day demands of being senior coach, which are still quite significant and why it’s be a joke if Nicks goes ahead without a Senior Assistant.
Why is it a joke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back