News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Cross Phil Smyth's name off the list...

Phil Smyth set to remain as Brisbane’s leadership mentor as Adelaide closes in on football department moves
Don’t remember reading this as a review finding previously but it rings true:

“Adelaide’s inaugural leadership boss must direct a revised approach that tackles a culture of self preservation among players identified by Dunstall.”

I will add that as an employee when I trust my manager and their manager I worry mainly about doing a good job. However when I think one or more of the senior people are a bit incompetent then it’s rational to become more mindful of the day to day battles about who gives the impression of doing a good job, because there is no trust in senior people to tell the difference.

ie I don’t blame the players. I think their reaction is the natural one in this type of workplace.

Don’t remember reading this as a review finding previously but it rings true:

“Adelaide’s inaugural leadership boss must direct a revised approach that tackles a culture of self preservation among players identified by Dunstall.”

I will add that as an employee when I trust my manager and their manager I worry mainly about doing a good job. However when I think one or more of the senior people are a bit incompetent then it’s rational to become more mindful of the day to day battles about who gives the impression of doing a good job, because there is no trust in senior people to tell the difference.

ie I don’t blame the players. I think their reaction is the natural one in this type of workplace.

Yeah generally speaking culture/performance starts and ends at the top. An organisation where leadership take responsibility for results generally inspires quality performances, one than seeks to develop a culture of blame from top down, is one where people worry about only themselves.

Yeah generally speaking culture/performance starts and ends at the top. An organisation where leadership take responsibility for results generally inspires quality performances, one than seeks to develop a culture of blame from top down, is one where people worry about only themselves.
I think it’s mainly about the senior people’s competence

A well meaning idiot generates self preservation in their team because their team won’t trust the leader to understand who is actually doing a good job

When Sando was here we didn't have anyone in that position (until Noble was promoted in 2014), one of the complaints Sanderson made was once Bailey was suspended was he was stretched too thin since he was essentially the highest positioned guy in the football department, so he was spending time dealing with the medical departments, with the scouting departments etc and less time with the players.

So basically the Football Manager is the person everyone involved in the football department reports to, who then reports to the CEO and back down the chain that way. It's a middle management role, yes, but you need someone in that position who can interact, get along and deal with numerous departments including scouting, list management, coaches, medical etc and making sure they are all on the same page and moving towards the same goals.
There lays the issue

He will clearly report to the CEO who reports to the board, with the board generally meeting quarterly to discuss any issues raised by the CEO

Who is at fault for Burton staying so long in the chair the board or the CEO

For some reason I doubt Fagan recommended to the board Burton should go

The board is totally reliant on their CEO which is why they choose him and pay him 600k per year

I see the board at fault for hiring a numpty CEO and the CEO but it's not his fault the board choose to keep him

Then of course you have the AFL who appoint the board

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What the hell does the Football Ops Manager do? He doesn’t coach, doesn’t sit on selection, doesn’t manage the list. Does he book the flights, order the new equipment or something? I’m not convinced a club even needs one. Like those that exist in every business I’ve worked in, this position seems to be one of those positions in middle management that doesn’t add much if anything to the outcomes.
I always thought the Football Ops Manager was the football department's equivalent of a CEO, though I could be wrong.

I always thought the Football Ops Manager was the football department's equivalent of a CEO, though I could be wrong.

There can only be one CEO of an organisation

All other departments will have figure heads which report to the CEO, who is appointed by the board to run the entire business and report back to the board with operations reports and recommendations , FAGAN doesnt get paid $600K a year to sit back and have long lunches, his ass is on the line if everything goes pear shaped, or so most would think, unless the board is forgiving

With each passing day an internal option like Harper or Craig becomes more likely.

I am fairly sure Adam Kelly from the SANFL has the job, he knew he had it over a week ago by all reports. I had heard that before the media started reporting it so I think there is some truth to it.

I think they must be waiting on another appointment or reshuffling of roles so the club can do one announcement and handle potential questions.

I am fairly sure Adam Kelly from the SANFL has the job, he knew he had it over a week ago by all reports. I had heard that before the media started reporting it so I think there is some truth to it.

I think they must be waiting on another appointment or reshuffling of roles so the club can do one announcement and handle potential questions.
Can we just get on with it please! I don't know what other roles need to be reshuffled if he's replacing the outgoing position...or was Brett made redundant and thus the role can't be the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we just get on with it please! I don't know what other roles need to be reshuffled if he's replacing the outgoing position...or was Brett made redundant and thus the role can't be the same.
The club has little to no interest in keeping supporters and members well ebgaged on critical decisions

For all we know an appointment has already been made and the club has decided to release the decision in there own time

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only Jars but he reckons Vozzo is ready to come but in 12 months time, realistically West Coast would never release him now if he wanted to go.

If you had an iron clad commitment from him, would you have Harper run the show for 12 months and then bring him over? I would, the next 12 months is a right off anyway. We are already stuck with the same coaching panel.

Only Jars but he reckons Vozzo is ready to come but in 12 months time, realistically West Coast would never release him now if he wanted to go.

If you had an iron clad commitment from him, would you have Harper run the show for 12 months and then bring him over? I would, the next 12 months is a right off anyway. We are already stuck with the same coaching panel.
I'm not convinced the coaching panel that remain are entirely to blame. Let's see what Godden in particular can do without Campo sniffing around.

But as you said, it's Jars so either Vozzo will never come or he's announced tomorrow.

The club has little to no interest in keeping supporters and members well ebgaged on critical decisions

For all we know an appointment has already been made and the club has decided to release the decision in there own time

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are waiting for our next loss, so we have a good news story. ;)

Has any of Jars mail ever had any remote truth to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back