News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be old school. You actually want your board backing your staff, not trying to undermine them at every corner. I remember Chappy saying he would support Burton until he no longer could. When it became obvious he couldn't, he didn't. (Is that like political leaders? You back them until they become unbackable). It may have been one year too late, but Chapman has clearly shown over the years he will give second chances, and offer the benefit of the doubt. As for how elite he is, even I got a chuckle out of that one.
I agree with your basic premise.

My concern is the effusive praise Chapman heaped on Burton just weeks out from a review in which Burton was shown to be none of the things Chapman mentioned

There is support then there is OTT.

No of course not. And you know that's not what I meant. You want your board to back in staff, until there is cause not to. Now, for whatever reason, the Board believed these people were doing a good job (I suspect they were being told by Burton et al that everything was hunky dory it was just the players fault, or Pyke's fault or anyone but his fault). It is clear that Chapman is an immensely loyal person (to his detriment I feel), and clearly it takes a lot to persuade him otherwise. It wasn't until the players started giving honest feedback, that they discovered this was not the case, and now there was cause to NOT back them.
Then thats on Chapman.If he is there 4 days a week , and I have nothing to say he does or doesnt , apart from here. Then he has failed to get around to everybody in meaningful time to peruse the mood of the club.

If he is gladhanding Roo and Burton to the extent he isnt listening to other voices then again thats on him

Then thats on Chapman.If he is there 4 days a week , and I have nothing to say he does or doesnt , apart from here. Then he has failed to get around to everybody in meaningful time to peruse the mood of the club.

If he is gladhanding Roo and Burton to the extent he isnt listening to other voices then again thats on him

Chapman has zero Authority, you really confuse me on your interpretation of the role as a chairman

You'd hope the key decision makers within the club would have a better handle on things than us schmoes in the cheap seats

But here we are

Chapman would have been more clued in by reading a few threads on here than by permanently being inside the four walls

Which should be the major take away from the review.

How could things turn so bad right under our noses without anyone noticing or saying something? Or doing something about it?

Forget Burton and Campo. This shows a complete breakdown of internal management.

My concern is the effusive praise Chapman heaped on Burton just weeks out from a review in which Burton was shown to be none of the things Chapman mentioned

Weeks out? Didn’t he pile on the praise after the review was called.

You'd hope the key decision makers within the club would have a better handle on things than us schmoes in the cheap seats

But here we are

Chapman would have been more clued in by reading a few threads on here than by permanently being inside the four walls

Which should be the major take away from the review.

How could things turn so bad right under our noses without anyone noticing or saying something? Or doing something about it?

Forget Burton and Campo. This shows a complete breakdown of internal management.

I've said it before but having both our CEO and COO almost wholly focused on things other than our core business (ie. football) is the first step towards failure.

As a result, Roo and Chapman end up having to be way more hands on than they should be.

It's a completely ridiculous setup and should have been investigated as part of the review.

Only an extremely recent change of philosophy I believe. They got some review of their sports program done by a Victorian guru (I don't know who it was) who told them bluntly that if you're having to give out sporting scholarships that means the program at your school is poor and you aren't developing your students properly.

Run a better program and you won't need to poach state guns for Years 11 and 12.
I hope they got their money back then, because that is a massive crock of sh!t.

They can get the absolute best out of their players, but when they front up to PAC who have half a State team, they aren't going to win.

I was actually talking about the Indigenous scholarships btw, not general scholarships.

I hope they got their money back then, because that is a massive crock of sh!t.

They can get the absolute best out of their players, but when they front up to PAC who have half a State team, they aren't going to win.

I was actually talking about the Indigenous scholarships btw, not general scholarships.
I guess it's the intent

Is it to run the best sports program and attract families to your school?

Or is it to beat the other school? Which becomes an arms race

Correct.

Will be interesting to see how Hass goes in 2020 without Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All I can say about Hass is he hasn't been lumped in with Burton by the players and is fairly well liked around the club.

I've said it before but having both our CEO and COO almost wholly focused on things other than our core business (ie. football) is the first step towards failure.

As a result, Roo and Chapman end up having to be way more hands on than they should be.

It's a completely ridiculous setup and should have been investigated as part of the review.
Personally, I thought having the Head of Football Operations (Burton) reporting to his good friend the Football Director (Ricciuto) was more problematic.

Thats not true, if we had Neil Balme reporting to a competent board we’d not have had a problem. Our issue was not only was Burton way out of his depth but he was also toxic and his best buddy was the board member that he reported to. And the Chairman who brings the board together would pay money for the opportunity for a reach around of either of those 2 guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not true, if we had Neil Balme reporting to a competent board we’d not have had a problem. Our issue was not only was Burton way out of his depth but he was also toxic and his best buddy was the board member that he reported to. And the Chairman who brings the board together would pay money for the opportunity for a reach around of either of those 2 guys.
How does the chairman bring the board togerher

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue is those responsible for this s**t are still running the club.

We have no footy ops manager.
We left it too late to be able to replace Campo and Hart who will still be coaching our forwards.

Consequences of the actions of those responsible for running the club.

Hard to look forward when they are still there.
We’ve treated the symptoms but not the cause.

No of course not. And you know that's not what I meant. You want your board to back in staff, until there is cause not to. Now, for whatever reason, the Board believed these people were doing a good job (I suspect they were being told by Burton et al that everything was hunky dory it was just the players fault, or Pyke's fault or anyone but his fault). It is clear that Chapman is an immensely loyal person (to his detriment I feel), and clearly it takes a lot to persuade him otherwise. It wasn't until the players started giving honest feedback, that they discovered this was not the case, and now there was cause to NOT back them.
And if his judgement is so bad he is telling everyone how good the titanic is while it’s sinking? What you’ve written is a description of someone who is not suitable for a board member, let alone the chairman.

Agreed.

I guess it's the intent

Is it to run the best sports program and attract families to your school?

Or is it to beat the other school? Which becomes an arms race
Bit off topic but my lad is at Saints and a close friend is on the board there.

Basically they’ve gone for a cultural shift led by a new principal - much more aligned with the first option you mention. The arms race as you call it is well and truly dead.

Why would you turn yourself inside out worrying about a school across the road when there’s a whole world out there to engage - well that’s kind of the theme anyway.

This is why Chapman's time should've been up when Trigg got done. That was the major mistake he made, not sacking Trigg immediately and then to compound it further in the following years. Burton's support from him was astounding.

Jenny's point though is 100% correct.

As I've stated previously, Chapman and Hart are the next to go and Roo a possibility to join them.

Soders on 7 news just said Sapwell has gone from contender to the man crows want as the culture manager
Hmm, all on the job training? I would expect to see some formal qualifications, rather than just taking psych classes.

He could be a great bloke and perfect at the job, but it feels like the resume is missing something to me

1574115282232.png

Correct.

Will be interesting to see how Hass goes in 2020 without Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You scared the s**t out of me when I saw this...it would be so Adelaide to rehire the guy we have just fired and payed out!

As I've stated previously, Chapman and Hart are the next to go and Roo a possibility to join them.

Reid needs to go as well. It's no coincidence our player retention issues have worsened under him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back