News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit off topic but my lad is at Saints and a close friend is on the board there.

Basically they’ve gone for a cultural shift led by a new principal - much more aligned with the first option you mention. The arms race as you call it is well and truly dead.

Why would you turn yourself inside out worrying about a school across the road when there’s a whole world out there to engage - well that’s kind of the theme anyway.

A noble suggestion, but the reality is they will continue to get thumped on the sports field if thats the path they choose. It wasn't that long ago (2011 or 12 I think) that St. Peter's went through a footy season where they lost 6 games in a row by more than 25 goals....There was talk then of the school making a decision to enter in Div 2 competition (effectively to play against Scotch, Westminster, Immanuel etc... and avoid PAC, Sacred Heart & Rostrevor). They didn't because parents and old scholars kicked up a stink and pressured the Head to make changes and to invest in the sport.

Their last 'successful' season (as in winning their Intercol against PAC) was in 2013. I think it had been at least 10 years prior to this for the previous win as well. The 2013 win came on the back of having a unique set of circumstances - they had 3 Yr 13's in the side + 3 boys that would end up on AFL lists - Matt Allen, Riley Knight and Mitch Harvey. All 3 of those were on scholarships of one form or another.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they get thumped year after year and the old scholars start getting agitated again.

FWIW from what I have heard the school is a war zone at the moment. The new Head is a $$$ making machine and is ramping up class sizes and cutting subject choices. He's all about buildings and grounds and has zero interest in education or the boys. Again an odd tactic and will be interesting to see what happens when parents start to realise that in terms of education, they would have been better saving their $$$ and sending their kids to other schools.

A noble suggestion, but the reality is they will continue to get thumped on the sports field if thats the path they choose. It wasn't that long ago (2011 or 12 I think) that St. Peter's went through a footy season where they lost 6 games in a row by more than 25 goals....There was talk then of the school making a decision to enter in Div 2 competition (effectively to play against Scotch, Westminster, Immanuel etc... and avoid PAC, Sacred Heart & Rostrevor). They didn't because parents and old scholars kicked up a stink and pressured the Head to make changes and to invest in the sport.

Their last 'successful' season (as in winning their Intercol against PAC) was in 2013. I think it had been at least 10 years prior to this for the previous win as well. The 2013 win came on the back of having a unique set of circumstances - they had 3 Yr 13's in the side + 3 boys that would end up on AFL lists - Matt Allen, Riley Knight and Mitch Harvey. All 3 of those were on scholarships of one form or another.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they get thumped year after year and the old scholars start getting agitated again.

FWIW from what I have heard the school is a war zone at the moment. The new Head is a $$$ making machine and is ramping up class sizes and cutting subject choices. He's all about buildings and grounds and has zero interest in education or the boys. Again an odd tactic and will be interesting to see what happens when parents start to realise that in terms of education, they would have been better saving their $$$ and sending their kids to other schools.
Interesting - I’ll PM you some other stuff and take this off the board.

This is why Chapman's time should've been up when Trigg got done. That was the major mistake he made, not sacking Trigg immediately and then to compound it further in the following years. Burton's support from him was astounding.

Jenny's point though is 100% correct.

As I've stated previously, Chapman and Hart are the next to go and Roo a possibility to join them.

Come on go read the constitution before making outlandish statements

Board members are either elected by members (2 of them) or appointed by the AFL (7 of them)

All for set terms then either re appointed or re elected depending if its by the AFL or by the members

AFL seem happy with Roo and Chappy at this stage, unless as Chappy has suggested, he will see out his term then retire, Roo has said nothing like that

Reid needs to go as well. It's no coincidence our player retention issues have worsened under him.

Don't really have an opinion on Reid either way, but I would have thought Burton was one of the main contributors to that.

Reid needs to go as well. It's no coincidence our player retention issues have worsened under him.

I doubt that player retention is him when you've got a senior coach that lost the trust of the players and GM of Footy and Senior Assistant that were toxic. His involvement with players would be minimal. His time is spent between the List Management Committee (Roo/Burto/Pyke) and negotiating with player managers. He has nothing to do with retention except in terms of what's offered and for how long which he prosecutes on behalf of the 3 muppets mentioned just above.

I doubt that player retention is him when you've got a senior coach that lost the trust of the players and GM of Footy and Senior Assistant that were toxic. His involvement with players would be minimal. His time is spent between the List Management Committee (Roo/Burto/Pyke) and negotiating with player managers. He has nothing to do with retention except in terms of what's offered and for how long which he prosecutes on behalf of the 3 muppets mentioned just above.
and then the interaction he does have must be aligned with the unsuccessful salary cap policy we have had in place for years

It's interesting to see Poulos revered on here now, so I went back to some threads from 2013/14, where the consensus was he was useless and should be sacked. Someone mentioned we needed to get Schwerdt back, and Mutineer (bicks) pointed out presciently that the board used to shitcan Schwerdt too.

you'd look less of an ass clown if you bothered to check which of the guys you quoted have changed their minds.

I haven't ever said anything much different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on go read the constitution before making outlandish statements

Board members are either elected by members (2 of them) or appointed by the AFL (7 of them)

All for set terms then either re appointed or re elected depending if its by the AFL or by the members

AFL seem happy with Roo and Chappy at this stage, unless as Chappy has suggested, he will see out his term then retire, Roo has said nothing like that

you can't be this stupid.

you'd look less of an ass clown if you bothered to check which of the guys you quoted have changed their minds.

I haven't ever said anything much different
Yeah, but you just pretty much dislike everyone. That's an easy position to stay consistent on.

So, is there any plan to announce anything at any stage??
This is getting bizarre.

It’s interesting, if we were going for a temporary Appt in Harper, you think we might have announced it by now. I wonder if we’ve been waiting for someone to be released post draft or something.

I note Wayne Campbell was only released this week from GWS. Is he going to reunite with Nicks?

Steven Silvagni tostep down at Carlton after the draft appears to be the worst kept secret in the AFL...

So, is there any plan to announce anything at any stage??
This is getting bizarre.

My money is on no announcement until we’ve got our permanent person. I don’t see us announcing Harper as being in the role, it’s already out there that he’ll help out as required. Nicks has said that they’re locked and loaded all the way to round 1. We don’t need anyone until we’ve got our guy/girl.

My money is on no announcement until we’ve got our permanent person. I don’t see us announcing Harper as being in the role, it’s already out there that he’ll help out as required. Nicks has said that they’re locked and loaded all the way to round 1. We don’t need anyone until we’ve got our guy/girl.
So, the review found that not only was Burton completely incompetent in his role, but that he was also completely unnecessary?
Awesome...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back