News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally am very interested in the Sapwell possibility.

I know him a little bit and have crossed paths with him in basketball circles a few times. I'm not a friend, but I've seen enough to have an idea about him.

There are several aspects I like;
  1. He is not affiliated with the Crows at all
  2. He comes from a high performance background
  3. He comes from a successful background (championships etc...)
  4. He works with a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and has been able to blend them together and produce successful school teams
  5. He works well with youngsters, which seems about spot on for our list at present.
He just might also help us un-Earth a Category B Sudanese player or two, given the work he does with the Sudanese community. Did anyone here know that he lives down Semaphore way and everyday he does a 'collection' trip where he drives around and picks up Sudanese boys to take to school out at Trinity?

The only question (and one of which there has been some very fair criticism over the years) is, will he be willing to take on a role that doesn't include a vested interest of his Son's?

Its pretty simple, Chapman keeps us financially secure (ie isn't a drain upon VFL resources), we remain "solid" on the field without dominating or being a basketcase and quite simply he doesn't agitate for change or genuinely calling the VFL's on their regular BS.

Chapman keeps us exactly where the VFL wants us, why wouldn't they want him to stay on?

There’s a gulf between being happy he remains in the role and exerting even the tiniest amount of influence on who the board selects. The reason Chappo is still there has nothing to do with the AFL. It’s for reasons that Chappo has publicly mentioned himself. 1. He needs to choose and train up his replacement. 2. He’s the man to right the ship that he sent sideways in the first place. He’s stupid enough to have been completely honest as to why he’s still there.

I personally am very interested in the Sapwell possibility.

I know him a little bit and have crossed paths with him in basketball circles a few times. I'm not a friend, but I've seen enough to have an idea about him.

There are several aspects I like;
  1. He is not affiliated with the Crows at all
  2. He comes from a high performance background
  3. He comes from a successful background (championships etc...)
  4. He works with a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and has been able to blend them together and produce successful school teams
  5. He works well with youngsters, which seems about spot on for our list at present.
He just might also help us un-Earth a Category B Sudanese player or two, given the work he does with the Sudanese community. Did anyone here know that he lives down Semaphore way and everyday he does a 'collection' trip where he drives around and picks up Sudanese boys to take to school out at Trinity?

The only question (and one of which there has been some very fair criticism over the years) is, will he be willing to take on a role that doesn't include a vested interest of his Son's?

These Sudanese boys wouldn’t happen to be high achieving in the sporting pursuit areas would they. I think we’ve discovered the secret to the school’s sporting achievements. A dozen teachers doing a quick whip around their area in their school supplied daily drive to pick up kids and bring them to school. Here’s one rolling in now.

1574032248291.jpeg

I think looking forward isn’t particularly hard, it’s deluding yourself that with only 2 line staff terminated change is likely.
A head coach, A senior assistant/strategy coach and head of football GONE. That's a massive culture change right there. That is going to immediately change things like: selection policy, player communication, game plan etc.etc. ALL of which will have an impact - for better or worse. Our existing line coaches will be given more responsibility. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Won't know until next year. But change will happen.

The replacement of Chapman will be a challenge from a structural point of view. In not-for-profits like the AFC in almost every case the new Chairperson comes from the existing Board. This makes sense since the Chairperson needs an intimate knowledge of the organisation.

When Chapman said he felt he was the best person to lead the club during the “transition”, I believe this was code for “No one on the Board wants to take this hospital handball”. Usually the next Chairperson is groomed prior to the changeover and the Chairperson is selected by the Board. Jim Hazel has been the Deputy Chair for quite a while but he has a lot on his plate and is no spring chicken. If he was the heir apparent I think we would have heard this hinted at some time ago.

From the current Board I think you can eliminate the “members” selections (Jameson and Ryder) and the Board members with demanding regular jobs (Fellows, Fennel and McDowell) so that leaves Roo and Kate Ellis.

It seemed like Roo was being groomed for the job but recent events may have convinced him to become less involved in the AFC. My best guess is there are three possible scenarios
1) Kate Ellis will take over in twelve months time.
2) Jim Hazel takes over as a short term solution
3) A suitable candidate for Chair is appointed to the Board at the AGM and takes over as Chair at the end of the year.

I will be watching with interest who joins/leaves the Board prior to the 2020 season.

I know Rupert well, he has coached my eldest at basketball, all three of my kids have attended Trinity.
Lets go back abit further Rupert was never the most naturally skilled basketballer, he wasnt tall enough to play the 5 spot and not mobile enough to play the 4 role. In the US he played College basketball to compete with naturally gifted he decided if I cant be taller or quicker I have to be stronger. Forgoing the party side of his college tenure to improve size strength and outside shot (nothing spreads a defence like a tall whom can shoot the three). He played for the bullets as well as the 36ers i believe. His main focus as a coach was work hard be transperant and if you are struggling with something seek guidance fix and make yourself relevent. He can come across as someone who is a bit aloof but once you know him that means he is listening, he is very good with his players they know exactly were they stand, however every conversation he had with my son was very much a two way conversation.

Also doesnt hurt that he coached Jackson Hately to couple of State schoolboys basketball championships.

These Sudanese boys wouldn’t happen to be high achieving in the sporting pursuit areas would they. I think we’ve discovered the secret to the school’s sporting achievements. A dozen teachers doing a quick whip around their area in their school supplied daily drive to pick up kids and bring them to school. Here’s one rolling in now.

View attachment 780676
Well, here is Sapwell with their last great team;
NationalChampions_040219.jpg

Having been around Basketball circles and knowing a number of the Sudanese players, I can tell you that opportunities like this are really really valuable. Yes it amounts to 'scholarships' and stacking school teams etc... but the bigger picture is much more important
I know that last year a 6 foot 10 Sudanese kid pulled out of playing at Nationals at the very last minute and I believe that even thought BasketballSA tried to quietly pay for a part of his costs, money was the major factor. The same kid was picked in another squad this year and then pulled out once payment came due.
There is a younger 6 foot 7 Sudanese kid that has just been picked for a tournament next year that there is now way he can afford. The poor kid uses a borrowed uniform and has to get money from his coach so he can catch a train to games.

Yes one can question Sapwell's involvement in these and look at it is just stacking a team for himself and his kids benefits (#43 is his Son in the picture), but I actually think it is providing something much more substantial to some kids who need some assistance.

Basically, I actually just think Sapwell is a good guy and will be a great choice.

A head coach, A senior assistant/strategy coach and head of football GONE. That's a massive culture change right there. That is going to immediately change things like: selection policy, player communication, game plan etc.etc. ALL of which will have an impact - for better or worse. Our existing line coaches will be given more responsibility. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Won't know until next year. But change will happen.

only if we get lucky and don’t end up with a similarly poor culture going forward. The issue is that despite the very obvious problems, Roo and Chappo still backed those guys to the hilt. And don’t delude yourself into thinking that we were anything other than dragged kicking and screaming to an external review. A review not into the board, but one that managed to allow Chappo tell us all how elite he is. They’ll do the same again given a similar situation. It’ll only be luck that doesn’t see that recur.

View attachment 780676
Oh yes - there’s some great work being done with indigenous kids by some private schools...who just happen to be very good at football.

All looks great from the outside, until it becomes clear that the scholarships are only available on certain “criteria”.

View attachment 780688

Having been around Basketball circles and knowing a number of the Sudanese players, I can tell you that opportunities like this are really really valuable. Yes it amounts to 'scholarships' and stacking school teams etc... but the bigger picture is much more important
I know that last year a 6 foot 10 Sudanese kid pulled out of playing at Nationals at the very last minute and I believe that even thought BasketballSA tried to quietly pay for a part of his costs, money was the major factor. The same kid was picked in another squad this year and then pulled out once payment came due.
There is a younger 6 foot 7 Sudanese kid that has just been picked for a tournament next year that there is now way he can afford. The poor kid uses a borrowed uniform and has to get money from his coach so he can catch a train to games.

Yes one can question Sapwell's involvement in these and look at it is just stacking a team for himself and his kids benefits (#43 is his Son in the picture), but I actually think it is providing something much more substantial to some kids who need some assistance.

Basically, I actually just think Sapwell is a good guy and will be a great choice.

Was just a joke, no problem with it at all. The only culture that I’m interested in is a winning culture, any decision made within the rules that helps achieve that is fine by me.

Oh yes - there’s some great work being done with indigenous kids by some private schools...who just happen to be very good at football.

All looks great from the outside, until it becomes clear that the scholarships are only available on certain “criteria”.

They can’t give everyone a scholarship, that’s what the public school system is for. But they’d surely be giving out more than just sporting scholarships

View attachment 780688

Bottom right hand side is Kahlani his youngest, his eldest Koen is in the US college system. Regarding scholarships for "Criteria" its been happening for years i remember Rostrevor was notorious for offereing "Academic" scholarships but only if you were good at footy in eighties. That photo was taken at the Aus School nationals in Melbourne. The other coach in that photo is Jai Watson current manager for Mitch Creek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can’t give everyone a scholarship, that’s what the public school system is for. But they’d surely be giving out more than just sporting scholarships
There’s only one school I know of that gives a specific indigenous scholarship that’s not a sport based scholarship.

I've seen this first hand. Some of the scholarships make a huge difference. Many of them don't.

I think it largely makes the schools 'feel better' about themselves, but they don't have a great strike rate in terms of making a long term difference for the students. What doesn't seem to be taken in to account is what happens when the kid returns to their communities.

IMHO the schools look to assimilate the students in to their own narrow world view, but fail to embrace or really get support form the kids community. Hence they set the kid up to fail.

Some of the school also massively abuse this to suit football purposes. One of the reasons St.Peter's struggles in football against PAC for instance is that they refuse to use the scholarships for sport. I think you will find very few of their indigenous scholarships have played at 1st level in football.
PAC on the other hand will jump at a good football player if they can. For instance I know as a fact that Pickett was offered to Saints and they said no. He was then presented to PAC as an option and they jumped without hesitation. This has happened multiple times.

I would need to be convinced that race based or quota type scholarships are a good thing. Getting into a school for no other reason than the colour of your skin to fill a quota seems wrong to me.
I agree. Although the one I mention carries academic standards with it, so it’s not just a walk up based on skin.

Off topic here but the issue of sporting scholarships is big topic in private school world presently

only if we get lucky and don’t end up with a similarly poor culture going forward. The issue is that despite the very obvious problems, Roo and Chappo still backed those guys to the hilt. And don’t delude yourself into thinking that we were anything other than dragged kicking and screaming to an external review. A review not into the board, but one that managed to allow Chappo tell us all how elite he is. They’ll do the same again given a similar situation. It’ll only be luck that doesn’t see that recur.
I must be old school. You actually want your board backing your staff, not trying to undermine them at every corner. I remember Chappy saying he would support Burton until he no longer could. When it became obvious he couldn't, he didn't. (Is that like political leaders? You back them until they become unbackable). It may have been one year too late, but Chapman has clearly shown over the years he will give second chances, and offer the benefit of the doubt. As for how elite he is, even I got a chuckle out of that one.

I've seen this first hand. Some of the scholarships make a huge difference. Many of them don't.

I think it largely makes the schools 'feel better' about themselves, but they don't have a great strike rate in terms of making a long term difference for the students. What doesn't seem to be taken in to account is what happens when the kid returns to their communities.

IMHO the schools look to assimilate the students in to their own narrow world view, but fail to embrace or really get support form the kids community. Hence they set the kid up to fail.

Some of the school also massively abuse this to suit football purposes. One of the reasons St.Peter's struggles in football against PAC for instance is that they refuse to use the scholarships for sport. I think you will find very few of their indigenous scholarships have played at 1st level in football.
PAC on the other hand will jump at a good football player if they can. For instance I know as a fact that Pickett was offered to Saints and they said no. He was then presented to PAC as an option and they jumped without hesitation. This has happened multiple times.
Rostrevor go one better with an “Indigenous Academy” - or at least they did for a while - not sure if it’s still a thing.

I would need to be convinced that race based or quota type scholarships are a good thing. Getting into a school for no other reason than the colour of your skin to fill a quota seems wrong to me.
Worked in the past for quotas of white men

Rostrevor go one better with an “Indigenous Academy” - or at least they did for a while - not sure if it’s still a thing.
What Rostrevor tried was a good idea, but incredibly poorly implemented. They literally took a group of Indigenous kids from around Australia and then dumped them in to a Catholic school boarding house and expected them to thrive. Utterly insane.
It actually all but destroyed Rostrevor and they are only just starting to recover. Their numbers plummeted, their NAPLAN results became so bad they actually tried cheating and they came within a whisker of folding altogether.

Thankfully they are starting to recover, but it was a very close thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back