News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Does Nicks sign off on this role?

Or is this role actually "above" him in terms of the club structure.

I have always thought these roles are basically the Football Department CEO. With the coach kind of sitting under them, with the idea being the coach does not have to worry about the management of the Football Department.

The first big clue Burton was out was him not being involved in the panel for the new coach. Football Operations Manager would chair that panel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I have always thought these roles are basically the Football Department CEO. With the coach kind of sitting under them, with the idea being the coach does not have to worry about the management of the Football Department.

The first big clue Burton was out was him not being involved in the panel for the new coach. Football Operations Manager would chair that panel.

Nicks would be under him, but I think given the close nature of the relationship and the damage we’ve seen done by a poor relationship, the club would want to ensure Nicks was comfortable with the appointment.

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Interestingly Walsh accepted Head Coah role on the proviso he reports directly to the CEO, which was Fagan.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Rowey is a bit slow on the rumour mill. We had this picked a week ago.

I can't see how Nicks can sign it off but more confirm he has no problem with it. It sounds the same but I think it's different if any of that makes sense.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think this person very much sits above the coach but because Nicks had to accept the position without knowing who this person would be they do have to make sure he is going to work well with him.

I think what this role does is allows you to find the best business person to be the CEO and the best football person to be head of football.

I did find it kind of confusing that the club was sort of mixing this role with the senior assistant role when discussing it in the media, like yeah if this person is a gun football person he might be capable of contributing to that role but I think some separation is also necessary.

I think he just wasn't shrewd enough to realise what deep poop we'd gotten ourselves into.

Trigg had given him the rose coloured version of events - cancelled the side deal with Blucher, didn't go over the cap. We're sweet. Chapman had bought it.
& yet he protected Trigg & the club took more sanctions as a consequence...

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I think he just wasn't shrewd enough to realise what deep poop we'd gotten ourselves into.

Trigg had given him the rose coloured version of events
- cancelled the side deal with Blucher, didn't go over the cap. We're sweet. Chapman had bought it.
When behaviour is repeated and you fail to see the issues then maybe the problem might be in the mirror

First Trigg then Roo were able to blindside him

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
I think this person very much sits above the coach but because Nicks had to accept the position without knowing who this person would be they do have to make sure he is going to work well with him.

I think what this role does is allows you to find the best business person to be the CEO and the best football person to be head of football.

I did find it kind of confusing that the club was sort of mixing this role with the senior assistant role when discussing it in the media, like yeah if this person is a gun football person he might be capable of contributing to that role but I think some separation is also necessary.

The AFC seems to be a little like a government department in this regard. If you're good at your job, you'll end up with two or three jobs to help mask the incompetence they can't get rid of that surrounds you.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He may have had every intention to explain when he made that comment, but the club and Tippett were forced by the AFL to sign NDAs and not talk about the entire thing as part of the negotiation for the sanctions. The AFL wanted the bad publicity the story was giving it to disappear so tried to starve it of oxygen.

that‘s not true. The AFL did not gag us at all, you’ve made that up.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Did he not rate Noble?
One of my great memories of Walshy was his final game of Footy.

The SANFL game v Port. Walshy and Noble were there together. Walshy eyeballing the play and them discussing the play with Noble. Walshy was so intense. I went out to the huddle and Walshy was circling the huddle. Pulled a young player out, had a heated "man conversation" with the player. Then went back to Noble. I was able to observe them for most of the game as they stood among the people, wanting to be close to the game.

Seems they worked very well together. I remember thinking that our club was in great hands after seeing the way they were working together.

A very sad day now thinking back. And a credit to Noble in how he kept the club going after Walshy's passing given it was obvious they had a very close working relationship. Probably even a great friendship.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
It's interesting how many of the assumed failings we thought we saw in Noble have faded, now that he is leading success at a second club.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of my great memories of Walshy was his final game of Footy.

The SANFL game v Port. Walshy and Noble were there together. Walshy eyeballing the play and them discussing the play with Noble. Walshy was so intense. I went out to the huddle and Walshy was circling the huddle. Pulled a young player out, had a heated "man conversation" with the player. Then went back to Noble. I was able to observe them for most of the game as they stood among the people, wanting to be close to the game.

Seems they worked very well together. I remember thinking that our club was in great hands after seeing the way they were working together.

A very sad day now thinking back. And a credit to Noble in how he kept the club going after Walshy's passing given it was obvious they had a very close working relationship. Probably even a great friendship.

so far Tex, Sloane, Campo, Chapman, Noble have all been credited with keeping the club going. Any that I’ve missed? Can we just accept that everyone did nothing more than their jobs, albeit in a difficult period.

so far Tex, Sloane, Campo, Chapman, Noble have all been credited with keeping the club going. Any that I’ve missed? Can we just accept that everyone did nothing more than their jobs, albeit in a difficult period.
Noble was the key player during this time & did remarkably well given how many hats he was wearing.

I rated him highly. Just shouldn't have been a trade negotiator.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep fair point.

He did his job well. Also the reason the AFL handpicked him to fix Brisbane.

He was a poor trade negotiator, but every other job he did for us (remember the running gag he held every job at our club in his time here) he was very good at.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep fair point.

He did his job well. Also the reason the AFL handpicked him to fix Brisbane.

He was a poor trade negotiator, but every other job he did for us (remember the running gag he held every job at our club in his time here) he was very good at.

I remain to be convinced. I think he was a key driver in over-resourcing the mid part of our list and valuing mediocre experience. We were the definition of average while he was with us and there’s no doubt that he was a key driver of our footy operation. He’s getting a lot of credit for walking into Brisbane who’d already done very well with their low draft picks and 1 week after he started Fagan was appointed coach. Burto was already with us as HP GM, so Brisbane’s injury issues were already behind them. No doubt we’d have been better of with him over Burto, but that’s the lowest of bars. Is he capable of running a footy dept geared towards a flag, time will tell. But I do agree that if you want a footy dept geared to making the 8 because anything can happen from there, then David Noble is one of the first people that you’d call.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, along with being an assistant at times.

They should have brought in the Reid position earlier to lessen his load.

he chose to be in the box because he was fanatical about his stats system. He loves coaching, he didn’t have to be involved, he chose to. He was the GM of Footy Ops, everything he did was his choice.

he chose to be in the box because he was fanatical about his stats system. He loves coaching, he didn’t have to be involved, he chose to. He was the GM of Footy Ops, everything he did was his choice.
Not everything...

Back