Opinion Our next 6 weeks: Tougher than it seems

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gee, I just looked at their draw. I agree could go through without losing a game.
Luckily there is basically zero difference between finishing 1st and 2nd. It's probably better to finish 2nd as you don't have the pressure of being first but you still get the same road to the Grand Final. Assuming there's not a huge difference between the 3rd and 4th sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FAIRANDBALANCED

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Fox News Studios- Trondheim
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our small-medium forward group are heavily reliant upon marking and that's an area of real strength for the Cats defence. That combined with their pace and agility makes them a very formidable group as they showed toweling up the Essendon small-medium forwards. Need to win the midfield to have any chance.
I don't think they have great match-ups for Stephenson, Elliott and WHE when they are all in the same forward line. I even think DeGoey will be too quick for all of their backmen, including Stewart (who is just about the best defender in the comp.)

I hope we take whoever gets a Connors or Harry Taylor, and take them to the goal square. It can work, but we need to be fluid and not allow them to defend as a group.

manicmagpie

A slice of fried gold
Jul 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Got to take full toll from the next 8 weeks as these are our opponents:

1557222334760.png

A tougher run home after that but on paper we shouldn't be losing to any of those next 8 teams.

Technically we only have 4 games left against teams that are currently in the 8 and we don't double up on any current top 8 side.

So much for a hard draw. ;)

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think they have great match-ups for Stephenson, Elliott and WHE when they are all in the same forward line. I even think DeGoey will be too quick for all of their backmen, including Stewart (who is just about the best defender in the comp.)

I hope we take whoever gets a Connors or Harry Taylor, and take them to the goal square. It can work, but we need to be fluid and not allow them to defend as a group.
I think they do, especially as they've still got Bews and Touhy to accommodate back there.

neilk

Premium Platinum
Sep 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 669281

A tougher run home after that but on paper we shouldn't be losing to any of those next 8 teams.

Technically we only have 4 games left against teams that are currently in the 8 and we don't double up on any current top 8 side.

But, but, we wouldn’t have beaten anyone above us on the ladder!

Pragmatic Shill

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't follow footy closely at all in 2015 - can someone explain to me what went so wrong after the bye? We were still top 4 at Round 12, sitting on 8-3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Gold And Black 1977
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 669281

But we won’t have beaten anyone...

The Royal Sampler

Floreat Pica, Bitch!
Nov 26, 2006
Hooray For Science, Woo!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
I’m not picking we win by ten goals anymore.

Just take 4 points and I’ll be satisfied.
******* weird season isn’t it?

You think of how any team is going; they’re likely a game and some percentage behind us.

Richmond? We smashed them didn’t we? And then they lost a bunch of players, got stomped by the Bulldogs... where are they right now, way down the ladder, yeah?

No, they’re a game and percentage behind us. Same as Adelaide somehow, and West Coast.

Thank God GWS looked so crap today. One loss, which could so easily have happened against the tankers, and we’d be hanging on by our fingernails to the bloody 8.

Saintly Viewed

Gold And Black 1977
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
******* weird season isn’t it?

You think of how any team is going; they’re likely a game and some percentage behind us.

Richmond? We smashed them didn’t we? And then they lost a bunch of players, got stomped by the Bulldogs... where are they right now, way down the ladder, yeah?

No, they’re a game and percentage behind us. Same as Adelaide somehow, and West Coast.

Thank God GWS looked so crap today. One loss, which could so easily have happened against the tankers, and we’d be hanging on by our fingernails to the bloody 8.
Yep.

And we’re in second spot and ensconced.

Keep racking up the 4 points.

Learn from each game, improve.

Saintly Viewed

Gold And Black 1977
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm holding off celebrating any of our wins, because it's only at the end of the year that we'll know if we've beaten any top 8 teams. And wins don't count unless it's against a top 8 team.
Agree.
We just can’t beat anyone.

It’s bad, it’s bad I tell you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom