Opinion Our next 6 weeks: Tougher than it seems

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I remember looking at this block of games when the fixture came out and thinking it will be a period where we might get a breather after a tough opening draw. We're 5 rounds into this mixed up season and things are looking very different. And very interesting.

Our next 6 rounds will see us (sitting 4th) play off against 1st , 3rd, 5th, 7th, 15th and 16th. That's a block of games including St Kilda, Freo, Port, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney. I think it's a group of teams that will be a lot tougher than they may appear on paper. Their positions after 5 rounds, which have been earned, attest to that.

I think we'll learn a lot about our side and our chances over this period of time because it will be really challenging. Never a dull moment with this group! It'll be fun to watch.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
But if we beat them, we’ll still not have beaten anyone.

I remember looking at this block of games when the fixture came out and thinking it will be a period where we might get a breather after a tough opening draw. We're 5 rounds into this mixed up season and things are looking very different. And very interesting.

Our next 6 rounds will see us (sitting 4th) play off against 1st , 3rd, 5th, 7th, 15th and 16th. That's a block of games including St Kilda, Freo, Port, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney. I think it's a group of teams that will be a lot tougher than they may appear on paper. Their positions after 5 rounds, which have been earned, attest to that.

I think we'll learn a lot about our side and our chances over this period of time because it will be really challenging. Never a dull moment with this group! It'll be fun to watch.
They said that about Brisbane too.
Saints: same gamestyle as Richmond; We should have them covered.
Carlton: they played their GF by reaching 100pts and are spent for the rest of the season. But seriously, I don't rate them.
Sydney: Past glory. We could let them win the toin coss to make up for Eddie's comments but that is as far as they go.
Essendon, Port & Freo are the big unknowns. Like us, ups and downs but I have to see whether they can sustain the rage and turn up when they play us.

I don’t really see Saints or Freo as top 8 teams let alone top 4, it is only a quirk of the beginning of the season which will rebalance over the coming weeks. No game should be taken lightly and a win assumed as a given but we should get through the next block ok.

I think the Bombers could give us some trouble, other than that we will be fine, unless we go back to the slow indecisive footy we started the season playing.

Agree that the Saints and Freo being up there is just a result of a small sample.

PiesUserName

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think it is that bad, Essendon and Port Adelaide are our toughest games though Port have a good record against us and have won 4 of the last 5.
But still not convinced on Port, every year they show potential first half of the season and pickup some good wins but just go down the second half of the season and underachieve.

I agree with the post above about there being no easy games these days. But I still think not all games are equal, and while not all games are easy. There are games that are harder and I don't think this block falls into that category. If we are as good as we think we are, we should win at least 5 of the 6 games.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the Bombers could give us some trouble, other than that we will be fine, unless we go back to the slow indecisive footy we started the season playing.

Agree that the Saints and Freo being up there is just a result of a small sample.
The bombers will be level with us at some point in the game. At the opening bounce and who knows for a few minutes at least.

Then I’m confident we’ll draw away nicely.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
OP is correct, but it matters very little to our detractors. When we are sitting top 4 at the end of the season. They will say who did you beat?! Brisbane and St Kilda will be out of the 8 come seasons end, but they won’t recognise that these were the form teams of the comp at the time we beat them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Freo is not a bad team but playing them at home makes it easier.

Bombers could be tough. Port is hard to get a read on but when they have a bad day, they're really bad.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think you can predict how tough the next few weeks are going to be based on the last few weeks. It is early days, the competition is relatively even and we are still developing game style.
Can't see why we don't win the next six. Don't expect it, five will pass.

5_Flockhart

Senior List
Apr 30, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are we giving Essendon way too much credit? They were abysmal in the first two weeks. They've beaten Melbourne who are possibly the most mentally fragile team in the comp. Brisbane who have shown a lot of mental fragility as well and North Melbourne - There's every chance they'll win the spoon.

If Essendon play at their best and we play at our best, we win by 6 goals.

Going forward Port are a wildcard you can't ignore what they did to the Coke.

St Kilda haven't beaten anyone of note (yes I'm including a severely depleted hawthorn team)
Freo - Maybe if it were at Optus but we should rag-doll them in Melbourne

As for the Swans - The demons say Hi!

As much as it pains me to say - Keep an eye out for Carlton. They're a pack of assholes who are playing us at the perfect time to recover from their first win hangover. There is no logic or rationale behind this concern, only emotion and superstition. But that's what Carlton does!

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
This week against the bombers will be one of our toughest tasks. They are in-form and looking dangerous. If we get over the line I feel there will be massive momentum to string some wins together.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find it amusing there is "easy draws" when people are judging the draw at the start of the season. Be bloody easy for tipping if before round 1 you could predict all game results.

Moore of the Same

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Leeds United
It's been an odd start to the season that's for sure. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of easy games at the moment with most teams giving it a crack in one week or another. That being said, I think we're probably ahead over everyone except the eagles at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back