Opinion Our next 6 weeks: Tougher than it seems

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh. You made it sound like it wasn't on TV where you were, which I guess it wasn't. Misread what you meant.
Fair enough. I don’t understand myself less than half the time.

Truthfully, I reckon if we're a serious threat. We almost shouldn't drop a remaining game for the year. I don't know if it's a blessing or curse we don't play Geelong again in the H&A season

Truthfully, I reckon if we're a serious threat. We almost shouldn't drop a remaining game for the year. I don't know if it's a blessing or curse we don't play Geelong again in the H&A season
We were no where at our best playing against Geelong, and we pulled up 7 points short. Come finals we will be much more switched on I hope. Just pray we dont play the Eagles and the flags ours for the taking.

We really need to capitalise on the draw opening up a bit now - we have a really tough month from round 17, where we play our bogey side (Hawks), West Coast away, Giants away, and Richmond - whilst I’d expect us to at least split those matches, we really want to have top 4 close to sewn up by then. We should start clear favourites for the next 7-8 weeks, and I’d be disappointed to lose to any of those sides. Chances are we will, but we really need to capitalise on this more comfortable patch.
Let’s just beat Carlton first. Not knocking your assessment but lose this week then we might not be as strong as we think we are.

Have you seen Geelongs draw for the rest of the year? I reckon there's a good chance they go through the rest of the season undefeated. It's so easy I wonder if they get caught out by higher quality teams when finals come round.

Have you seen Geelongs draw for the rest of the year? I reckon there's a good chance they go through the rest of the season undefeated. It's so easy I wonder if they get caught out by higher quality teams when finals come round.
Nearly every year the team that looks the goods at the start of the season runs out of steam come the end of the season. We did in 2011, Eagles in 2012, Port in 2014, Freo 2015, Adelaide 2017, Richmond 2018 etc. Geelong are clearly the in form team of the competition at the moment but I don't consider them my premiership favourite based on the above. It's a very long season, I think we're timing our run well at the moment. We're winning and without risking everything. Hopefully by near the end of the season, we'll have truly clicked and are throwing sides out of the way week after week.

Just on Geelong. 12 years ago they had that incredibly dominant 2007 season while Carlton won the ‘Kruezer Cup’. 12 years later Geelong look great again having been a genuine contender almost every year while Carlton are still awful. A lot of players come and go in 12 years, quite remarkable imo.

Ticking over nicely, just keep winning and building our form.
One week at a time until we have sown up top 4, then start looking to having players cherry ripe for September.
Oh and let’s not forget to enjoy the ride, this club is bloody exciting to be apart of.

Ticking over nicely, just keep winning and building our form.
One week at a time until we have sown up top 4, then start looking to having players cherry ripe for September.
Oh and let’s not forget to enjoy the ride, this club is bloody exciting to be apart of.
Spot on, though I hope we have the confidence to focus our player management on the finals from here on in rather than in the last few rounds.

Gee, I just looked at their draw. I agree could go through without losing a game.

Obviously there’s a ton of water to go under the bridge, but if the top four were to remain the same from here on out, staying in at least second is going to be super-important. Play the Giants in Melbourne, hopefully win and send them to Geelong’s side of the draw for the prelims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jones allegedly stretchered off today, you’d think he’ll miss next week if Aish is any yardstick.

No telling how players respond to concussion in those situations. Time will tell.

Would they debut Goddard if he doesn't get up? Was apparently good in the VFL.

1 week at a time.

How do we grade Adams’ injury/loss over next few weeks vs Treloar’s last year? Treloar more someone we could cover (and history says seemed so for that period) than Adams? Could Beams be that inside grunt with JDG we could run through centre until Adams and maybe Sier are ready to go?

We could probably lose against anyone given the right circumstances. Having said this, I like us against the Cats as a match-up. Greenwood to take out Kelly and there defense is oversized if our small to mid size forwards are on.

Such an even year though, we will lose at least 2-3 more games before finals.

Based upon current form danger games would be Giants, Crows, WCE.
Potentially Essendon and Richmond can push us when they finally get their **** together.
All the others should be pencilled in as wins regardless.
Given our depth , I think we can keep a fairly balanced side going throughout the season even with swapping 4 or 5 players in and out.
The WCE game which is at the end of the season should give us a fair indication of where we stand with the rest of the comp.

Me too normally but send your mother out there this week...
It would be a bloodbath.
You know what wog mum's are like.
All I would have to say is that the guys wearing blue said mean things to me and she would be out there grabbing them by the ear, smacking them over the back of the head, taking off her slippers and whacking them with it.
Pure carnage.
Out: Pendles
In. Otto's Mum

We could probably lose against anyone given the right circumstances. Having said this, I like us against the Cats as a match-up. Greenwood to take out Kelly and there defense is oversized if our small to mid size forwards are on.

Such an even year though, we will lose at least 2-3 more games before finals.

Our small-medium forward group are heavily reliant upon marking and that's an area of real strength for the Cats defence. That combined with their pace and agility makes them a very formidable group as they showed toweling up the Essendon small-medium forwards. Need to win the midfield to have any chance.

I'm nervous before every game regardless of who our opponent is.

As do I.

Having said that, I think a loss or two along the way will keep us on our toes, without making us complacent. Even if that would be hurtful to the fans, it will help the team to look at any weaknesses and address them. We don't want that to happen come finals - we need to be red hot and engaged then.

In addition, hoping the injuries will be at a minimum.

The WCE game which is at the end of the season should give us a fair indication of where we stand with the rest of the comp.
It’s only in July, actually, not that far away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back