Opinion Our next 6 weeks: Tougher than it seems

Remove this Banner Ad

Big issue, no pun intended, with Freo is how tall they decide to go with their forwards, particularly if Moore is not fit to play.

Brad Hill also had a great game. I doubt we'll go with a tag so need to quell his influence elsewhere.

Big issue, no pun intended, with Freo is how tall they decide to go with their forwards, particularly if Moore is not fit to play.

I'm not sure they've got too many options beyond Hogan and Cox as forwards. Taberner, Sandilands, Darcy and Kersten all injured. I guess they could look at including either Meek's or Jones to free up Lobbe as a forward, or debut O'Reilly or Dixon but I'm not seeing it.

Brad Hill also had a great game. I doubt we'll go with a tag so need to quell his influence elsewhere.

You want us to nobble him outside his motel?

I'm not sure they've got too many options beyond Hogan and Cox as forwards. Taberner, Sandilands, Darcy and Kersten all injured. I guess they could look at including either Meek's or Jones to free up Lobbe as a forward, or debut O'Reilly or Dixon but I'm not seeing it.

You want us to nobble him outside his motel?
I meant in another way besides a hard tag.

So, beyond this bloc of games, after the bye we have 6 weeks to get our best team slowly on thepark.

By the time we hit the finals we need:

Moore up and firing
Elliot playing
Langdon or Sharenberg back

Otherwise I think we’ll get eaten up by the Cat and the Eagles.

Wells is a cherry on top which would make an immense difference, but looks to be gone.

Our second half of the year consists of just 4 games against teams currently in the 8 and 7 from outside.

We play 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th as well as 9th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th x2, 17th.

Beat the teams from outside the 8 and you nearly sew up a top 4 spot. Beat at least 2 of the 4 who are inside the 8 and top 2 and home ground advantage beckons.

I think there are only 5 teams currently in the hunt for the flag, although things can always change. It does mean that one of those teams has to miss the double chance.

The remaining matchups between the 5 flag chances:

Rich v Geel - MCG Round 12
Rich v GWS - MCG Round 17
WC v Coll - PS Round 17
GWS v Coll - Show Round 18
Coll v Rich - MCG Round 19
Rich v WC - MCG Round 22

So that's 4 crucial games for Richmond, 3 for us, 2 for both GWS and WC and just 1 for Geelong.

Geelong would have to fall in a heap to give up top spot. I think the rest of us are playing for second at the moment.

So, beyond this bloc of games, after the bye we have 6 weeks to get our best team slowly on thepark.

By the time we hit the finals we need:

Moore up and firing
Elliot playing
Langdon or Sharenberg back

Otherwise I think we’ll get eaten up by the Cat and the Eagles.

Wells is a cherry on top which would make an immense difference, but looks to be gone.

I would add Sier to the list. I think his size and inside work will be important come finals time.

We have a tough run of games later in the year... WCE, GWS, Richmond, all in order. Thats the real challenge.
The real challenge is the last four weeks of the season ie after the second bye.

6 tough weeks, cruised through undefeated. :)

I'm very happy with the result so far. I reckon it shows a maturity with the team that we have ground out the close games.

I wouldn't say we cruised though. We have had some very tough games during this stretch.

Freo next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have to start tanking Grundy said this as part of a interview in a story on the hun site

“And over the last few years, the thing that was going to motivate me was to be a premiership ruckman for the Collingwood Football Club.”

Might lose the big fella if we win this year and we all don't want that to happen
I definitely don’t want to lose Grundy, but I don’t want to not win the premiership more.

If winning the flag means we lose Grundy, but get heavily compensated via trade, sign me up.

I definitely don’t want to lose Grundy, but I don’t want to not win the premiership more.

If winning the flag means we lose Grundy, but get heavily compensated via trade, sign me up.

Yep it was said tongue in cheek wise
Anyway I'm a greedy prick and I want both
A Premiership and Mr Grundy's signature (lazy 7 will do thanks don't give a s**t about the cash will have enough to hold everyone)

We didn't quite make it. Still we have come out of it in healthy shape on balance. It took a furious attack on the ground ball from Freo, a dour game plan, creative umpiring and our 4th quarter defence getting caught too high to break us. There are lessons from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back