Strategy Our Next Captain: 2020 and beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he was playing under some duress. Hopefully next year he'll be better. and emotionally stronger.

I'm surprised whenever people bring up Matt Crouch's name. I can't see him being captain material at all. What do people see in him that I'm missing?
I understand what he went through was a tragedy beyond comprehension but he couldn’t break a tag before it.

His form was ok but not great and I based that on getting older rather than duress.

Plus I don’t think it’s a great look having your captain completely shut out of games by kid taggers and not being able to combat it.

He also accepted the captaincy but seemed to leave the captaincy duties and heat to Tex.

Sloane escapes the heat because he’s a nice guy but he also held the club to ransom and wanted a 5 year deal taking him out to 34.

Like he did this year?
He had an average year like most, but dont ever act the bloke doesnt give a * and tries his guts out. When others walk after an opposition player running through the middle of the ground sloane is the one running and chasing. He works both ways, unlike many others. The midfield setups are squarely based on coaching and selections. Next year play him in the middle for spurts and put him on a wing. Like walker has been through a hell of alot but is the right man for the job.

He had an average year like most, but dont ever act the bloke doesnt give a fu** and tries his guts out. When others walk after an opposition player running through the middle of the ground sloane is the one running and chasing. He works both ways, unlike many others. The midfield setups are squarely based on coaching and selections. Next year play him in the middle for spurts and put him on a wing. Like walker has been through a hell of alot but is the right man for the job.
Did I say he doesn’t give a *?

I’ve outlined in my other post why I don’t want him captain.

Lets not forget, Rory and Belinda have had a bloody horrible 12 months with the tragic passing of Leo. Same as Tex and Ellie, they just need some breathing space.

IMO, I would recommend nither Tex or Rory are part of the leadership group. I think we should have a brand new captain and just allow both Tex and Rory to enjoy their footy again by just being able to turn up, train and play.

Where will the team by in 5 to 6 years time.

Lets not forget, Rory and Belinda have had a bloody horrible 12 months with the tragic passing of Leo. Same as Tex and Ellie, they just need some breathing space.

IMO, I would recommend nither Tex or Rory are part of the leadership group. I think we should have a brand new captain and just allow both Tex and Rory to enjoy their footy again by just being able to turn up, train and play.

Where will the team by in 5 to 6 years time.
That was my thinking too.

At this stage i'd probably go something like
Captain: Talia
Vice Captain: Matt Crouch

Leadership group
Doedee, O'Brien, Lynch, Brown, Smith

Sloane will probably be the man. Obvious short term selection.

Talia is too old now IMO. 3-4 years ago, no problem.

I actually prefer a younger captain. Perhaps either Crouch or Dudes. Hadn’t really thought about Smith or Brown but both have some cred.

Here’s one from the very left of left field and in the spirit of the Wayne Carey appointment at North years ago. Darcy Fogarty!!! He’ll fly the flag that’s for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we need?
Best 18 player who is a walk up start each week
Elite standards
Clean off field image
Good public speaker
Committed to the club long term

D-Mac, come on down!

Thread needs a poll.

Talia is the man.

Sloane needs a break for the same reasons Tex does. Had a hard time of life recently. Just give him clear air to enjoy his footy

Talia is too old now IMO. 3-4 years ago, no problem.

For the record, Daniel Talia is 27 years old.

Talia and Sloane would be a great combination, but I can’t see Sloane being a co-captain again in a different duo. Would seem too much like he isn’t a strong enough candidate.

Sloane Captain, Talia VC.

No Lynch in the ‘leadership group’ please, I want him traded anyway.

Sloane for me for the next couple of years while we are in transition. With Talia as his deputy. We are going to cop it from everywhere for the next few years as we rebuild so we need someone who can stand up to that. I think. Sloane is capable and will do quite well in that regard. Talia would be the only other option I think.
Don't think Matt Crouch is captain material myself and don't think he is the right person to be the public face of the club while we are getting smashed by the media.

To me it just seems so obvious that Talia is the man. Sloane would be the wrong call IMO.

Talia’s a hard ass but he doesn’t have any enemies in the media.

It would be a refreshing change.

DT for me.

Sloane been a very average Captain from the outside. His form is falling away too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back