Strategy Our Next Captain: 2020 and beyond...

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Capt: Sloane
Vice: Talia

Leadership group: Matt Crouch, Tom Doedee.

Fresh start, new era.

How does Sloane fit the bill?

I think Talia is the one.

I agree we need a fresh start, new era. There’s no one obvious for mine in the younger brigade who’s ready, Doedee a great candidate, but he hasn’t played 25 games yet! I think we went too early on van Berlo and his football suffered. Talia’s well established, strong character, B&F winner and has the reputation that the fans could get behind, as well as commands respect across the league.

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
For the record, Daniel Talia is 27 years old.

Talia and Sloane would be a great combination, but I can’t see Sloane being a co-captain again in a different duo. Would seem too much like he isn’t a strong enough candidate.

Sloane Captain, Talia VC.

No Lynch in the ‘leadership group’ please, I want him traded anyway.
Wow. Didn’t check his age. Thought he was 30-31. Frankly it doesn’t matter much. His body looks almost done. Always looks sore. Unless he’s just been carrying something fixable for 2 years, he won’t play beyond 30.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I think Sloane. He has experience with Dangerfield and Walker. He is referred to as the heart and soul of the club. He is also older which tends to bring more wisdom. But I think his appointment should only be to get us through the next two years which I believe will be extremely challenging both on and off the field.I would like to see Dordee be appointed VC so that he could get 2 years experience under Sloane. He would then go on to be our next long term Captain.

I acknowledge Talia is also an optin but he is also getting old and may not be around for any length of time. But if it were Talia and Doedee I could live with that.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Wouldn't begrudge Sloane being handed the captaincy but it's Talia for mine.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Started well, but played hurt.

I'd back him in for next year but I reckon he'd step aside like Tex if he felt he couldn't lead on field

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our club is at a stage where we need a 'vanilla' captain. Vanilla in this sense is not meant in the derogatory way.
An experienced player, never really down on form and if he is he bounces back quick, a great leader of men and most importantly won't rock any boats.

Think Pendlebury, Cotchin, Fyfe, Ward, Hurn.

Based on this, another vote here for Talia.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
ask Sloane his head space.

If he's good

C: Sloane
VC: Talia
LG: Matt Crouch, Doedee, Milera

If he's not

C: Talia
VC: Matt
LG: Doedee, Milera, Greenwood (if he stays)/ Kelly

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
ask Sloane his head space.

If he's good

C: Sloane
VC: Talia
LG: Matt Crouch, Doedee, Milera

If he's not

C: Talia
VC: Matt
LG: Doedee, Milera, Greenwood (if he stays)/ Kelly

Not sure Milera is quite ready for leadership group.

Brodie Smith would be a fantastic addition however

Aug 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane by a mile. Plays with the heart and guts of a lion. He deserves this and leads by example. Will be a great captain.

This.

"I’ve loved this footy club since the day I’ve been here and regardless of titles, I always want to lead and seek what’s best for the Club." R. Sloane

That's all anyone needs to see if you're doubting Sloane at all. He's captain until he retires.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
This.

"I’ve loved this footy club since the day I’ve been here and regardless of titles, I always want to lead and seek what’s best for the Club." R. Sloane

That's all anyone needs to see if you're doubting Sloane at all. He's captain until he retires.
Agreed + the fact that he's our best player doesn't hurt either.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure Milera is quite ready for leadership group.

Brodie Smith would be a fantastic addition however
I heard him speaking about helping others, specially the indigenous boys.
Feel like he would be a good person for others to see as a leader.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
This.

Sick of hearing about his love for the club given we had to pay a fortune to retain him.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Huh? Are you questioning Rory Sloane's motivation? Seriously?

I'd suggest you try a different target, coz Rory has nothing but ticks in that column.
This is what I find hilarious... he actually said on 5aa, word for word, that his final contract was about looking after Rory Sloane as he approached retirement. He was quite upfront and honest about it.

I have no doubts that we presented the best offer. Who’s going to offer 5 years at 800k for a 28 year old, who had a bung foot at the time and struggles with a tag? The negotiations took forever and he got pissed off when it was reported that he was staying earlier.

He got the best deal. Fine. Money was a huge factor in him staying, don’t spin it as love for the club.

Back