Strategy Our Next Captain: 2020 and beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is what I find hilarious... he actually said on 5aa, word for word, that his final contract was about looking after Rory Sloane as he approached retirement. He was quite upfront and honest about it.

I have no doubts that we presented the best offer. Who’s going to offer 5 years at 800k for a 28 year old, who had a bung foot at the time and struggles with a tag? The negotiations took forever and he got pi**ed off when it was reported that he was staying earlier.

He got the best deal. Fine. Money was a huge factor in him staying, don’t spin it as love for the club.
Yep, it wouldn’t have been the clubs idea to give him 5 years. So Sloaney besides his love for the club wouldn’t have stayed for 4 years.

And people reckon he’s a great clubman, an angel

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Let’s not start on rumours and angst towards Sloane. That’s what broke Tex in the end
What rumours? I'm allowed to judge his form. He played some good games, some mediocre games, but the main issue is that the team was sloppy and poorly lead on the field. He also left all of the heavy lifting in the media to Tex. There's no way I'm giving him a pass mark for his captaincy in 2019.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, it wouldn’t have been the clubs idea to give him 5 years. So Sloaney besides his love for the club wouldn’t have stayed for 4 years.

And people reckon he’s a great clubman, an angel
So much this.

It’s interesting that you never hear about our players banding together and making a commitment to stay together, even if that means not getting the optimum contract.

Nope, our guys screw down hard. Get what they can.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
B Crouch in the last few days a prime example.

Club is in flames, rumours of mass walkouts, he’s in the frame.

How good would it be if Brad just said - nope I’m here for the long haul. Period.

Nope - I’m happy to stay but I’d like 5 years. Just peachy timing.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
B Crouch in the last few days a prime example.

Club is in flames, rumours of mass walkouts, he’s in the frame.

How good would it be if Brad just said - nope I’m here for the long haul. Period.

Nope - I’m happy to stay but I’d like 5 years. Just peachy timing.
We just aren’t a club that players yearn to be at, for our players it’s a job to get paid well

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed. Why is there no room for nuance or objectivity? Just because your not a raging Sloane fanboy, doesn't mean you hate the guy.
I found those who post crap basically have to grossly exaggerate to try and make a point, no matter if it’s based on bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Probably need to wait and see who the coach will be.
Tex wasn't considered captain material til Walsh came in.

Sort of hoping with a new coach, fresh ideas, someone outside of the gang will be chosen as captain.

Maybe someone like Luke brown?

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We should keep the same captain until we get rid of all those puppets in charge are gone.

If burton and Campo go, Sloane should step down and let someone like Talia, MCrouch or Liard take over and we can have a fresh start.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is what I find hilarious... he actually said on 5aa, word for word, that his final contract was about looking after Rory Sloane as he approached retirement. He was quite upfront and honest about it.

I have no doubts that we presented the best offer. Who’s going to offer 5 years at 800k for a 28 year old, who had a bung foot at the time and struggles with a tag? The negotiations took forever and he got pi**ed off when it was reported that he was staying earlier.

He got the best deal. Fine. Money was a huge factor in him staying, don’t spin it as love for the club.
What I find hilarious is so many people with no bloody idea about any of the details of a contract beyond what the media guess (which the same people scream blue murder about being liars and scumbags every other day) ... Those people then know that someone like Rory Sloane is lying when he says he loves the club. He's actually just after the $$$

Somehow getting a decent contract makes him trash.

He should have taken a year on year deal to show his true colours?

Whatever.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
What I find hilarious is so many people with no bloody idea about any of the details of a contract beyond what the media guess (which the same people scream blue murder about being liars and scumbags every other day) ... Those people then know that someone like Rory Sloane is lying when he says he loves the club. He's actually just after the $$$

Somehow getting a decent contract makes him trash.

He should have taken a year on year deal to show his true colours?

Whatever.

I didn’t say he was trash.

His signing was financially driven though- and as I keep saying- he said so himself, quite explicitly.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If sloane Captain I'd move him to half back and replace Laird who I hope we trade for a decent pick. I think sloane could rediscover his best football there in a Hodge like role.

Otherwise Talia.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn’t say he was trash.

His signing was financially driven though- and as I keep saying- he said so himself, quite explicitly.
You can have both love for the club and a decent contract ... They are not mutually exclusive.

Trying to paint Sloane as holding the club to ransom is pretty ordinary.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You can have both love for the club and a decent contract ... They are not mutually exclusive.

Trying to paint Sloane as holding the club to ransom is pretty ordinary.

I don't think I'll ever forget the roar of the crowd when Rory kicked a goal at the Riverbank end the week after signing his last contract. The club has typically made players wait to reward them financially. I think he deserves whatever he's been given

Remove this Banner Ad

Back