• 2017 Heir Apparent Matthew Crouch

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Frampton to ease selection integrity concerns amongst the members

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are those things important?
Because at this tier of candidate (I'd include Laird with Smith, Doedee, Keays) you have to start differentiating between them somehow. Otherwise you end up with milquetoast co-captain/leadership group nonsense.

Smith may have flaws as a potential captain, but I believe they don't include worrying about how his form would hold up, or that the opposition would exploit weaknesses in his game.

Of course, I thought that once Walker was no longer sole captain* they should have moved on (past Sloane) to new blood in the role. And that it should have been Smith as captain then and Talia as sole vice-captain.

*My preference in 2019 was that Walker remain sole captain.

Because at this tier of candidate (I'd include Laird with Smith, Doedee, Keays) you have to start differentiating between them somehow. Otherwise you end up with milquetoast co-captain/leadership group nonsense.

Smith may have flaws as a potential captain, but I believe they don't include worrying about how his form would hold up, or that the opposition would exploit weaknesses in his game.

Of course, I thought that once Walker was no longer sole captain* they should have moved on (past Sloane) to new blood in the role. And that it should have been Smith as captain then and Talia as sole vice-captain.

*My preference in 2019 was that Walker remain sole captain.

Aren’t you really just equating best player = captain?

Aren’t you really just equating best player = captain?
Considering I've left out a few players that would be amongst the best, I don't think so. And I'm more talking about sustaining current performance in a new role as captain and/or they ability to captain effictively without worrying about one's own performance.

And besides. Terrible form was one of the reasons Sloane's captaincy was so poorly rated, and why everybody stopped talking about Laird or Crouch as potential future leaders.

I would give each of our leadership group a month or so each to compete for the captaincy next year.
Captaincy isn’t a competition IMO. It’s just team affirming actions day by day, week by week, game by game.
Smith or Keays .

Captaincy isn’t a competition IMO. It’s just team affirming actions day by day, week by week, game by game.
Smith or Keays .
If there are more than 1 decent candidate, this is a great opportunity to try them all in the role before we decide on the permanent appointment.

Smith or Keays .
I think they need to think long and hard as the captaincy is likely going to be permanent for the long haul. Do we want to go with a captain for 2 years or for a captain for at least 5 or 6? If it's for the long haul they won't give it to Smith as he only has 2 or 3 years left. I think they will end up giving it to Doedee or Keays as they are both 25. The may go down the dual captaincy path to see which one is the natural captain. They may even bring someone like Dawson into the the leadership group with his experience.

If there are more than 1 decent candidate, this is a great opportunity to try them all in the role before we decide on the permanent appointment.
Maybe, I just see that one sets the standard day in day out without even knowing there’s a comp for it.

I think they need to think long and hard as the captaincy is likely going to be permanent for the long haul. Do we want to go with a captain for 2 years or for a captain for at least 5 or 6? If it's for the long haul they won't give it to Smith as he only has 2 or 3 years left. I think they will end up giving it to Doedee or Keays as they are both 25. The may go down the dual captaincy path to see which one is the natural captain. They may even bring someone like Dawson into the the leadership group with his experience.
Yeah I see Smith being on the age periphery as you mention. So Keays or Doedee. Seeing Tom slotted for leadership before Keayes arrived he might get the nod. Either or, they’re both team first.

Doedee seems to have gone backwards in these stakes, probably hasnt turned into a good enough player.
Saturday he played well, but his season to date has been poor.

Keays is probably the man to challenge at this stage

Maybe. But I really think the minority of the captain's work is visible on game day. The best leader is probably quite obvious, but not to us. Interesting times...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well a mod can shut the poll down. It'll clearly be Sloane again next year and by the time he does step down the leadership group should look different.

A bit disappointed that we couldn't be more decisive but will have to just take it as it comes.

Well a mod can shut the poll down. It'll clearly be Sloane again next year and by the time he does step down the leadership group should look different.

A bit disappointed that we couldn't be more decisive but will have to just take it as it comes.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I highly doubt Sloane will be captain next year. The only reason I see him playing on is to try and get another contract and that's not happening. Once he realises that the club may sit down with him and work out a retirement package.

Of course we should never have taken it away from Tex, imo, our best ever captain
I agree, best Captain we’ve ever had, but I think it was Texs call.

He was being smashed from all sides (media, supporters, etc), which his mental health and well being took a massive hit. I don’t think he’ll ever admit to it (more ammunition for media).

Stepping away from the leadership role has let him get back to his best. You won’t convince me otherwise.

No it's weak, thats what it is.
I think they didn't want to offend Sloane at this point. In time they will have a discussion with Sloane that he won't be captain next year and the new Captain will be announced preseason. Probably Doedee or Keays is my bet. Is that weak? Yes most likely it is as the new Captain could use the rest of the year to develop into the role but I don't think they know the best candidate yet and they probably havent given it one ounce of thought prior to Sloane's injury.

Last edited:
Back