Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 2017 Heir Apparent Matthew Crouch

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Frampton to ease selection integrity concerns amongst the members

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a perfect opportunity to blood the next captain, whoever they thought it might be.

If it’s Doedee, just give it to him.

If he’s a bit green, you’ve got the perfect justification that your hand was forced. He’ll get a bit better with each game, by the end of the year he might have proven himself to the extent that Sloane stands down anyway.

Either way, it’s a total free hit for a look at your next man.

This club just continues to look golden opportunities in the face and say “nah.”

we don't have co-captains, we have an injured Rory Sloane as captain and the remainder of the leadership group rotating through the role each game.

I don't mind the reluctance to appoint a temporary captain. It wouldn't be fair publicly on the replacement or Sloane. Neither would care internally but the public pressure is something that should be avoided. Imagine Smith gets selected as temporary captain, He play out of their skins and the Crows win 11 games. There would be unfair public pressure then for Sloane to step down and for the club to appoint Smith as his replacement. Same as Doedee. Sloane should step down on his own accord pressure free. Right now, I don't see a need for him to make that decision and he deserves the respect to let it be his decision when he wants it. Its a prestigious appointment and should be treated as such.

I don't mind the reluctance to appoint a temporary captain. It wouldn't be fair publicly on the replacement or Sloane. Neither would care internally but the public pressure is something that should be avoided. Imagine Smith gets selected as temporary captain, He play out of their skins and the Crows win 11 games. There would be unfair public pressure then for Sloane to step down and for the club to appoint Smith as his replacement. Same as Doedee. Sloane should step down on his own accord pressure free. Right now, I don't see a need for him to make that decision and he deserves the respect to let it be his decision when he wants it. Its a prestigious appointment and should be treated as such.
It seems some captain's have the "full support of the board". Some coaches must be frustrated by this. They get the boot mid season when things are clearly finished between them and the club.
In these circumstance, you don't often see the assistant coaches doing the rotating, sharing, give em a chance to prove themself thing.
Weak leadership I'm sorry to say.

What happened to Rory sucks big time. It could not have been predicted that the captaincy decisions were needed this early. But everyone knew the captaincy issue wasn't too far away.

Is it just me but I feel we have been presented with an untimely, but completely profound fork in the road moment. The non decision seems to be about massaging certain players egos more than adjusting the rebuild plan and then getting back into it. Waiting seems like wasted time.

The exception to my rant is if there is no clear succession plan or personnel capable of the job.

Lastly, I'd like to see the captains toss the coin just to see how ROB handles the skill😜

I like Doedee, however I reckon Keays is the man to take us forward. He is 100% committed every game and leads our midfield. Highly underrated player among our fans.

It seems some captain's have the "full support of the board". Some coaches must be frustrated by this. They get the boot mid season when things are clearly finished between them and the club.
In these circumstance, you don't often see the assistant coaches doing the rotating, sharing, give em a chance to prove themself thing.
Weak leadership I'm sorry to say.

What happened to Rory sucks big time. It could not have been predicted that the captaincy decisions were needed this early. But everyone knew the captaincy issue wasn't too far away.

Is it just me but I feel we have been presented with an untimely, but completely profound fork in the road moment. The non decision seems to be about massaging certain players egos more than adjusting the rebuild plan and then getting back into it. Waiting seems like wasted time.

The exception to my rant is if there is no clear succession plan or personnel capable of the job.

Lastly, I'd like to see the captains toss the coin just to see how ROB handles the skill😜
Massaging players egos

That's very unlike the AFC

Try telling the AFC they aren't been held hostage

I like Doedee, however I reckon Keays is the man to take us forward. He is 100% committed every game and leads our midfield. Highly underrated player among our fans.

He is 100% committed but these repeated efforts to slot goals on the run, from 50 out, on the boundary whist burning several team mates really don't scream team first for mine.
He has some selfish habits as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Reilly O’Brien one has got to be a piss take.

I can‘t believe anybody who understands anything about football leadership, or the game itself, could look at him and go “Yep, that’s a captain.”

It’s mind-blowing.

not that they'd have dropped him before, but they're definitely not droppping one of the game day co-captains

Are Sydney suffering for having three captains? on a non-interim basis too

Edit- they’ve had co-captains for years and are widely regarded as having a great culture

It’s not a big deal at all

Captains are pretty much irrelevant. Its a little bit of PR. This ain't the 90's. We have 10,000 coaches & leadership groups.

I say we go a little smarter. We play games of chance to decide our next captain. Since the only thing the captain does now a days is flip the coin, it makes sense to pick the luckiest player.

The Reilly O’Brien one has got to be a piss take.

I can‘t believe anybody who understands anything about football leadership, or the game itself, could look at him and go “Yep, that’s a captain.”

It’s mind-blowing.

Agree, he really feels like the odd one out.
I bet he’ll only be named twice, and the other 3 will get 5 games each or something.

Captains are pretty much irrelevant. Its a little bit of PR. This ain't the 90's. We have 10,000 coaches & leadership groups.

I say we go a little smarter. We play games of chance to decide our next captain. Since the only thing the captain does now a days is flip the coin, it makes sense to pick the luckiest player.

if that's all the captain does then why is Sloane still the official captain of our club?

The same reason that the MCG still hosts the Grand Final. Silly outdated traditions.

So Sloane is still captain because the AFL is more concerned about $ and appeasing Victorian teams than they are competition equity? Bit out there, but it makes as much sense as him but being tapped on the shoulder.

Maybe he can just hobble out and toss the coin anyway, job done.

Last edited:
So Sloane is still captain because the AFL is more concerned about $ and appearing Victorian teams than they are competition equity? Bit out there, but it makes as much sense as him but being tapped on the shoulder.

Maybe he can just hobble out and toss the coin anyway, job done.

Must have missed the second part of my comment. Silly outdated traditions. Thats the PR line that the VFL used for keeping the Grand Final at the MCG. Thats the reason Sloane will remain captain for the year.

To be honest - I couldn't give two shits who is our captain the next two years.

The only time I will pay attention to a Captain being appointed is when we have a new coach. Hopefully in the next 24 months we will have a new coach / captain that will be the ones that lead us to the promise land.

not that they'd have dropped him before, but they're definitely not droppping one of the game day co-captains
A co-captain should drop himself if his form warrants it. Tbh anyone is stoppable. It just takes more s**t games before they are dropped for some.

Dawson is shaping as a strong candidate for captain 2023, you can tell he has already developed strong relationships and is one of our must consistent high quality performers.

I have like Doedee for a while, and Keayes is shaping as a chance.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I personally don't think he's captain material. He's so good at what he does, his focus is on win ball, get ball, do something with ball, all at a chaotic pace, he doesn't have time to see the nuances of what's happening on the ground (IMO). Smithers went to chat with Tex after Tex kicked our last goal. It was very encouraging that he was happy to get pointers from an experienced skip and not just wing it.

In the weeks since Sloane went down, the four main contenders for this role have been less than brilliant.

Smithers is always good for a long ball out of defence but his delivery in the forward half has been puzzling.

Doedee has done some really perculiar s**t, particularly with ball in hand, foremost against Geelong.

Keays racks up the possessions but cannot kick to save himself.

ROB not only got himself dropped but is still finding new ways to look average against even the most average of opponents.

Is the pressure getting to them?

I honestly don't think any of the four should be the one to get the gig full time once Sloane finally gives it up.

Back