Prediction Our next Captain: plant your flag!

Who should Captain the Saints in 2017?

• Nick Riewoldt. Forever.

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • Leigh Montagna

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jarryn Geary

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • David Armitage

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jack Steven

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Maverick Weller

Votes: 74 35.9%
  • Jack Newnes

Votes: 40 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a period of time when a friend of mine was training with the Saints during pre-season, which was just prior to the drafts taking place in 2013. It is during this time that player will train with the club in an attempt to prove themselves for selection, so, barring the young players that had already returned, everyone was effectively competing against each other for the limited spots. It was during these training sessions that one person tended to stand out a little bit more than others - vocal, motivating, and also very helpful; he was more or less coaching the other guys with little tips, particularly around stoppages. As I said, since this was a competitive environment, then helping out others could jeopardised your own chance of being drafted, but that didn't seem to matter to this guy, as he handed out quite remarkable tips that he learned from none other than Ablett, himself.

Of course, no points for guessing that they guy I'm talking about is Weller. He seems to be a natural leader in a number of aspects; able to teach, gets along with his peers, lead by example, etc etc. That's why I'd most prefer him if Riewoldt was to step down. Newnes seems a similar type, however his playstyle is more unassuming and perhaps not quite as capable of doing a particular act that would help motivate opponents like Riewoldt so often does with big marks, efforts, and goals, or how Mav has done a few times already.

Mav has all the qualities I would love in our leader.

Tough, uncompromising, leads by example and would generate that really valuable "we would follow you anywhere" feeling amongst the team.

I have no idea how he's viewed internally by the boys, but if he's loved half as much as he is by us supporters he would be a great leader.

There was a period of time when a friend of mine was training with the Saints during pre-season, which was just prior to the drafts taking place in 2013. It is during this time that player will train with the club in an attempt to prove themselves for selection, so, barring the young players that had already returned, everyone was effectively competing against each other for the limited spots. It was during these training sessions that one person tended to stand out a little bit more than others - vocal, motivating, and also very helpful; he was more or less coaching the other guys with little tips, particularly around stoppages. As I said, since this was a competitive environment, then helping out others could jeopardised your own chance of being drafted, but that didn't seem to matter to this guy, as he handed out quite remarkable tips that he learned from none other than Ablett, himself.

Of course, no points for guessing that they guy I'm talking about is Weller. He seems to be a natural leader in a number of aspects; able to teach, gets along with his peers, lead by example, etc etc. That's why I'd most prefer him if Riewoldt was to step down. Newnes seems a similar type, however his playstyle is more unassuming and perhaps not quite as capable of doing a particular act that would help motivate opponents like Riewoldt so often does with big marks, efforts, and goals, or how Mav has done a few times already.

Great post mate. Thanks for the insight

Geary-Weller as Co-Captains for a few years until Seb Ross takes over.

(I love Steven and am sure he could do the job well if it were thrust on him but I sense he probably doesnt want to do it. Mind you sometimes a reluctant Captain might be the best bloke in some ways. He is certainly humble.)

Last edited:
Who says we don't?

who says we do? who is to say a gay player hasnt already captained their club?

which is my point...

the reality is the player needs to come out first before they will be formally recognised as the games first gay player. then we would need to make them captain

which is my point...

the reality is the player needs to come out first before they will be formally recognised as the games first gay player. then we would need to make them captain

Meh can't be fukced getting involved in this type of argument. I couldn't give a rats. I should've seen in coming, youre obviously looking to enter into this debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh can't be fukced getting involved in this type of argument. I couldn't give a rats. I should've seen in coming, youre obviously looking to enter into this debate.

calm down

that wasnt what i was trying to do at all, was just trying to point out that the original comment was putting the cart before the horse

i.e. we need an openly gay player first before they can be made captain

am i missing something here? i didn't think i was attacking anyone or saying anything out of turn

****ed if I know. Whatever, I'm over it, and lucky for you, you're off ignore. You should feel proud. You're literally the only poster I don't have on ignore. All I read are your posts & my own. It's ******* awesome.

upload_2016-8-10_18-16-58.png
stuffed if I know. Whatever, I'm over it, and lucky for you, you're off ignore. You should feel proud. You're literally the only poster I don't have on ignore. All I read are your posts & my own. It's ******* awesome.

It seems to me like a bit of a Mitchell/Hodge type of choice between Newnes & Weller.

which is my point...

No we wouldn't need to make them captain, unless they showed the leadership and ability to BE a captain. Otherwise that's just tokenism.

Back