Prediction Our next Captain: plant your flag!

Who should Captain the Saints in 2017?

• Nick Riewoldt. Forever.

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • Leigh Montagna

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jarryn Geary

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • David Armitage

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jack Steven

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Maverick Weller

Votes: 74 35.9%
  • Jack Newnes

Votes: 40 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

the thing going for Geary over the others is probably his age too. There is something about having a captain in their early 20s that would be a bit awkward for guys in their 30s. He's a good balance.

What age was Roo when he became captain? Would have been the same thing surely?

Looking almost certain it won't be Roo.
Favourite it has to be Geary, if he doesn't get it maybe co-captains Gears and Newnes.

Anyone reckon Armo is still a chance.
Yes the year hasn't been great, but still an on field leader and grown his professionalism.

DAVID Armitage wants to become St Kilda's next captain.

Nick Riewoldt has been skipper for 11 of the 16 years of his career and the Saints believe the best decision for the club is to appoint a new leader in 2017.

Riewoldt, 33, is contracted for next year and has enjoyed a fine season, ranking first in the competition for marks and having booted 32 goals while playing on a wing.

Armitage, who joined the leadership group in 2013, said he wanted to take the captaincy baton from Riewoldt.

"(You) certainly put your hand up," he said.

The Queenslander, who brings up his 150th career game against the Brisbane Lions on Sunday afternoon at Etihad Stadium, said he possessed the necessary traits.

"I'm pretty approachable for all the young guys, and my main trait is I lead by example, the way I attack the footy and the man," he said.

"You've got to look after your own backyard first in the way you play.

"Then it's about challenging what you want to stand for, and that's probably the area I need to improve on the most, as well as being compassionate and show lots of care, but I think I do that reasonably well."

The 28-year-old's form has been inconsistent after an injury-hampered season.

A breakout 2015 saw him average 28 disposals per game, but that number has dipped to 21 this season.

"I've been OK. Had some really good games, had some … below average games," he said.

"I've had a few little niggles going on – everyone does – so you're not always 100 per cent fit.

"You try and get as close to 100 per cent as you can each week but I just haven't been there in a few games this year."

Victory against the Lions would bring the Saints' tally to 12, following six wins and a draw in 2015.

After showing significant improvement, Armitage expects his side should be able to take another step in 2017 and make the top eight.

"If it was a personal goal, you'd probably think so but you've got to take every week as it comes," he said

"Clearly 12 wins or 11 wins, you'd want to improve again on that, so if that means finals, then great, we'll take that."

How about Newnes and Ross. I know Newnes is a natural leader, what is Ross like around the club? 2 very impressive young men
Seb probably a bit quiet for now it seems, but obviously has come on this season.
Not in leadership group yet, so would be unlikely.

If anyone heard Kosi yesterday on radio he was talking about the heartbreak of losing to Collingwood in 2010. He talked about how at half time we were losing badly and Rooey took them in at half time and told them not to follow him back down the race if they weren't going to leave everything behind as it was the result of 10 years hard work. He said he lead them into battle and they threw everything they had into it. We probably need a strong character in there. Newnes, Mav, Gears probably all have little elements but will need to grow into the role.

I think Roo should remain captain but the jungle drums seem to be beating a different way.

Mav Weller would be my second choice, effort second to none, could well and truly 'lead by example'.

If anyone heard Kosi yesterday on radio he was talking about the heartbreak of losing to Collingwood in 2010. He talked about how at half time we were losing badly and Rooey took them in at half time and told them not to follow him back down the race if they weren't going to leave everything behind as it was the result of 10 years hard work. He said he lead them into battle and they threw everything they had into it. We probably need a strong character in there. Newnes, Mav, Gears probably all have little elements but will need to grow into the role.
my god that story gets me so aroused

I'm hoping Roo goes around again.

Geary must be the favourite, whenever someone from the club talks about the list of potential replacements he is the first name mentioned. Spud Frawley actually called him next year's captain on Bounce on Sunday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta be Riewoldt, surely. I think he's at that point where it doesn't matter if he's officially captain or not - he leads the team.

I don't understand why there is such a push to replace him for next year. I don't get it at all, he's going to be leading the team whether or not he is captain, and selfishly - he deserves to break the record for games played as captain.
Why shouldn't he break it?

There isn't a standout replacement for him, especially not with him in the team. Jack Steven plays like a captain - but can he lead like a captain? I'm warming to Mav Weller as captain, he is a bit of a smokey, but I've loved the way he played this year. He's played as if he is St Kilda 100%.

Geary, I just don't get it. I don't understand why so many people keep pointing to him as a potential replacement. He's had some decent games this year, but to make him captain? I can't see it.

Personally I'd give it to Roo, for 8 games or so, give him a co-captain for another 8 games and then a full captain after. What's wrong with a vice-captain or a co-captain?

Thanks.

Great player, great captain, great person, great article.

Shame no one gave him leadership and guidance over his hairstyle choices judging from the picture in that article

It's gotta be Geary. Saints trademark player, second in the BNF. Uncompromising. Never gets beaten. General of the defence. Only other candidate is Jack Steven, who got talked into the leadership group. Amazing player, could lead by example, but I think Gears would be the best man for the job at this point in time.

Image is a link to Geary's speech for the Lenny hayes Player Trademark award.

He may not be the most graceful, high profile player, but he speaks eloquently and thoughtfully and certainly comes across as a natural leader. It is clear the coaching and playing group holds great respect for him and I think that is half the battle done. There is something innately 'punchable' about him though and I think any loss of form and we would be less forgiving of Geary than we would of Newnes or Armitage. I was a Dunstan man myself, thinking that Rooey would go at least another year. Now I like Newnes.

Back