Our next captain

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I said in another thread, would love to see Talia as our captain. Just seems like a guy that doesn't take any sh*t, has high exceptions on himself and those around him and isn't going to feed us all bs when we've been poor.

Think when he won our B&F he really showed it and has been unlucky to have been overlooked from that point on. I loved the Tex appointment but feel like Talia should have been the one, not Sloane - I love him as a player but just doesn't have that captain vibe, doesn't help that he seems to be really struggling.

Looking past Talia, outside of Doedee I don't really see any other stand out options. Those saying names like Jones are crazy imo, he's played 14 odd games with a few nice patches. Maybe down the track but he's first got to cement his spot in the team with strong performances (which he's starting to move in the right direction) first before leadership/captaincy comes into consideration.
You say Jones has played 14 games and it's ridiculous how many do you think doedee has played

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Talking to the father of a current player during the week mentioned a couple of things re: leadership

- Walker was wanted as captain still by playing group, he stood down though

- Sloane isn’t 100% committed to the role as he hates the media commitments, Belinda loves to have him at home - this is where Walker thrives as he enjoys the media work

- Reason for our constant media smashing... Croc Media. Club refused to sign an exclusive deal with Hutchy a while back, since then he has instructed his Rottweilers in Cornes and Maclure to muck rake and beat everyone up

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not a whole lot more but one is a lock in the team based on his performances even when we were thinking we were a good side. Jones isn't near that yet.

And as I also said, Talia is my preference.
Jones could be a captain one day who knows

If he develops and becomes a gun mid, I would love to see him do that the same goes for mchenry

But a lot of water needs to pass under the bridge before we know the answer to that

It would be great for a dominant mid to become captain like Voss did

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Funny that as when Walker was first appointed, would have imagined that's the thing he disliked the most and someone like Sloane seems to be someone that would do well.

But probably says as much as even last year Tex was the one that seemed to front the media all the time, not Sloane.

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Funny that as when Walker was first appointed, would have imagined that's the thing he disliked the most and someone like Sloane seems to be someone that would do well.

But probably says as much as even last year Tex was the one that seemed to front the media all the time, not Sloane.
I know
Gave me a good example of media beat up with Walker too
So before and especially during the whole COVID saga club has been big on promotion of its sponsors due to $$$ needed

Remember the stories of “Walker tells new coach he’s playing on the wing in a new role!”

The Balfours clip on Twitter of Walker strolling past an office door seeing donuts on the table... takes one and then sees the team on a whiteboard, changes his name magnet to the wing. Purely a gimmick ... cue articles also panned the way for Walker is “fat” compared to Dixon

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jones could be a captain one day who knows

If he develops and becomes a gun mid, I would love to see him do that the same goes for mchenry

But a lot of water needs to pass under the bridge before we know the answer to that

It would be great for a dominant mid to become captain like Voss did

Exactly why I don't consider Jones at all. He's got long way to go before you start throwing the extra burden of leadership.

Doedee is on the leadership group already so from our young options he's clearly the leader at this point.

We seem to be missing the stand out option in that 25-28 year bracket.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane should step down after this season. Pointless going to Talia for his final couple of years, that bird has flown. Doedee well in front right now, the only chance if there's a 2021 changeover. If Sloane selfishly hangs on, which is what you'd expect, a couple of others like Jones, Fog or ROB might bridge the gap a bit, but doubt they'll catch Dood.

Yeah, I'd be comfortable if we gave it to Doedee in 2021. Or Talia for 2 seasons and re-assess.

The problem is we did earmark Matt Crouch for it (seeing he's been in the leadership group for a while) but he's just fallen off a cliff.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
This year should have been Smith captain, Talia vice-captain (VC still needs to have enough sway to call out the captain if necessary). Theres still time to make the change.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, I'd be comfortable if we gave it to Doedee in 2021. Or Talia for 2 seasons and re-assess.

The problem is we did earmark Matt Crouch for it (seeing he's been in the leadership group for a while) but he's just fallen off a cliff.
Matt may not be at the club next year the way things are heading. Same with his brother. We dont need another captain who isn't good enough to hold his spot. Doedee for mine. Great leader, speaks well, good citizen, one of the first picked. Will be a similar captain to Goodwin but younger. Schoenberg may be one for down the track when Doedee retires.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Rest Sloane for 2020.

Talia captain.

Talia to captain in 2021.

Doedee 2023 onwards.

I think Talia is the real skip now. During the lockdown he did all the media work. I can't recall the last time Sloane fronted the media.

Talia also one if our few real on field Generals. Tex another.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I_Was_There

All Australian
Mar 28, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Talking to the father of a current player during the week mentioned a couple of things re: leadership
- Reason for our constant media smashing... Croc Media. Club refused to sign an exclusive deal with Hutchy a while back, since then he has instructed his Rottweilers in Cornes and Maclure to muck rake and beat everyone up
More needs to be made of this and their rubbish called out. Need a strong Chairperson

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane should step down after this season. Pointless going to Talia for his final couple of years, that bird has flown. Doedee well in front right now, the only chance if there's a 2021 changeover. If Sloane selfishly hangs on, which is what you'd expect, a couple of others like Jones, Fog or ROB might bridge the gap a bit, but doubt they'll catch Dood.
Nicks needs to take the decision out of Sloane's hands. Walsh was right, Danger and Sloane are no leaders.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

- Walker was wanted as captain still by playing group, he stood down though

- Sloane isn’t 100% committed to the role as he hates the media commitments, Belinda loves to have him at home - this is where Walker thrives as he enjoys the media work

Maclure doesn't work from Croc Media.

We signed an exclusive deal with Triple M and for me, it's been the worst decision the club has made under Fagan's leadership.

Not just because of any slight against Hutchy but because of the damage it did to our relationship with 5aa. Whether we like it or not, 5aa controls the Footy landscape in SA, moreso than any other media channel.

Triple M has given us nothing because its a nothing station with cool dad music.

I remember a few years ago a poster on here told the background to this. That there was an agreement with 5aa and other media outlets that the Crows and Power would receive the same financial sponsorship from local media and would be a level playing field. Instead, Fagan sought to break away from that thinking we were entitled to more as the bigger team in town. 5aa refused to deal, Triple M stepped in with a cheque.

Channel 7 did the same and their relationship with Port has been on the outer since.

Add to that our pursuit of publishing our own content and blocking traditional media out.

We've made a lot of enemies in the media.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This year should have been Smith captain, Talia vice-captain (VC still needs to have enough sway to call out the captain if necessary). Theres still time to make the change.

Smith for captain? I can't think of many worse candidates.

We've had too many seasons of captains and vice captains who are able to be completely shut out of games by opponents working them over.

We need a captain who can contribute in the really tough games when we need them to provide inspiration.

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah, Smith in leadership group, ok, but he's there as comic relief and to be everyone's buddy.

At this stage we need someone who has industrial strength cranky capacity, like Talia, Tex (no, not suggesting him now) or maybe Fog.

Respected, but happy to melt faces when standards are not being met.

Talia to take over from Sloane while injured and next year. Then hopefully we're vaguely improving standards and a slightly less angry person (The Dude) is then suitable.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maclure doesn't work from Croc Media.

We signed an exclusive deal with Triple M and for me, it's been the worst decision the club has made under Fagan's leadership.

Not just because of any slight against Hutchy but because of the damage it did to our relationship with 5aa. Whether we like it or not, 5aa controls the Footy landscape in SA, moreso than any other media channel.

Triple M has given us nothing because its a nothing station with cool dad music.

I remember a few years ago a poster on here told the background to this. That there was an agreement with 5aa and other media outlets that the Crows and Power would receive the same financial sponsorship from local media and would be a level playing field. Instead, Fagan sought to break away from that thinking we were entitled to more as the bigger team in town. 5aa refused to deal, Triple M stepped in with a cheque.

Channel 7 did the same and their relationship with Port has been on the outer since.

Add to that our pursuit of publishing our own content and blocking traditional media out.

We've made a lot of enemies in the media.
McLure definitely works for Croc media. Has for some time. Croc media run Sportsday which he does with Healy in Victoria. Croc media I believe has some relationship with channel 9 likely why we have to put up with the insufferable Kane Cornes. McGuire media produces it but has a relationship with Croc for talent. Sportsday in each state is a croc of s**t production. Even Blighty on payroll.
Triple M would have been Roo's decision. Would have pushed very strongly for it I would imagine seeing as though he works there. Financially I would say he benefits quite nicely from it. I notice Roo has hardly been used by Fox Footy. Not sure whether due to Covid or he has been cut. Needed to go if he has. They are pushing Bernie Vince on Fox.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smith for captain? I can't think of many worse candidates.

We've had too many seasons of captains and vice captains who are able to be completely shut out of games by opponents working them over.

We need a captain who can contribute in the really tough games when we need them to provide inspiration.
Smith has been one of the most consistent players for most of a decade now. He's also the only one in the squad who currently looks capable of doing anything positive off his own boot

Nah, Smith in leadership group, ok, but he's there as comic relief and to be everyone's buddy.

At this stage we need someone who has industrial strength cranky capacity, like Talia, Tex (no, not suggesting him now) or maybe Fog.

Respected, but happy to melt faces when standards are not being met.

Talia to take over from Sloane while injured and next year. Then hopefully we're vaguely improving standards and a slightly less angry person (The Dude) is then suitable.
To criticise others for not meeting standards, you have to be meeting them yourself. Theres really only 3/4 senior players who would even be close to that. And if you make the presumption that you don't want a captain to be asked by the media to explain their views on race, theres really only Talia and Smith left and I explained my logic for captain/vice captain order earlier.

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given Sloane is out this is the absolute prime opportunity to give Doedee the role. Putting Talia in with a definite end date in mind (made public or not) doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

If you know who your man is for the future get him now. He is established in the side, he is part of the leadership group, let's not wait til we have lost him.

Back