BrisGirl

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Our beloved Captain M Voss has announced his eventual stepping down from Captaincy and he has annointed Jonathan Brown as our next Captain.

JB has all the makings of a imposing Captain, but he does have a slight blemish on his record and it does depend on him not being suspended over the next two years, so, I put it to you, and even if it all doesn't go to plan, who is your choice for next Captain?

Michael was quite clear last night saying 'we need JB on the ground, he has to be on the ground' etc.

I think that was a pretty clear message to JB from his Captain, we want you, we need you, and you can not be suspended anymore because of that need. He will let down too many people if he gets suspended again.

Michael Voss has spoken, and that is the closest thing to God you are going to get in the footy world, let's hope JB hears.

Making such a statement public and so far in advance appears to be a message to JB to get his on-field aggression in check. With such a message being made public, it also means that there will be increased public scrutiny and media attention should there be an indiscretion.

Brisbane supporters not up to the joint-captain idea?

Brown should mature into an inspirational leader, but I would have also thought the likes of Black and Power would make fine captains of the club.

Browny clap clap clap - Browny clap clap clap!! It's deafening!!

Phew so glad I'm not a one man cheersquad for JB. I think he will make a great, great captain and the only one in my opinion on our current list that could even come close to Vossy.

Don't want to get too excited in case it don't happen but what a sequel to the Lynch/Voss, Voss era. Oh I love being a Brisbane Lions Supporter.

hey - here's a thought, without the mantle of captain hanging over him, you reckon Vossy may just go off!!! Did ya see him mouthing off on Saturday night - love it!!!!!

F/D said:

Yeah, that's the way I voted.

With all due respects to JB, Lukey is a scrupulously fair but hard player who is also a terrific role model......much in the same mould as M.Voss himself.

I don't ascribe to the theory that the captaincy would magically transform Browny into a more disciplned player.

Discipline comes from within, not from a nominal title.

If JB can keep his nose clean for the rest of 2005 and all of 2006 (ie before the captaincy issue is decided), I am open to a change of heart. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke for Vice Captain without a doubt, but not Numero Uno. He is all of the things you say Luthor and I love him to bits but he just doesn't have that for want of a better word "X Factor" that you feel around JB.

I don't think the captaincy will transform JB, not by a long shot but I also don't think JB has done that much wrong. He isn't deliberately vicious or reckless, he just needs to rememebr his own strength at times. He is I believe targeted and he's only gotta sneeze on another player and he's out for a week. It will be a really rough ride for him over the next couple of years as he will be under such intense scrutiny but I believe he has the guts, determination and inner belief to get through it and rise up to and above the challenge.

If CJ was under the same intense scrutiny I reckon he would be up on a few more charges along with some of our other players!! However the results from their actions are never as severe. If CJ charges at someone sure they gonna fall down, but if JB does it then there is a bleedin' great hole in the ground.

Again this is assuming JB gets the nod, Vossy has backed him but at the end of the day it is not his decision and a lot can happen in 2 years!!

Lady Lawrence said:
Luke for Vice Captain without a doubt, but not Numero Uno. He is all of the things you say Luthor and I love him to bits but he just doesn't have that for want of a better word "X Factor" that you feel around JB.

I don't think the captaincy will transform JB, not by a long shot but I also don't think JB has done that much wrong. He isn't deliberately vicious or reckless, he just needs to rememebr his own strength at times. He is I believe targeted and he's only gotta sneeze on another player and he's out for a week. It will be a really rough ride for him over the next couple of years as he will be under such intense scrutiny but I believe he has the guts, determination and inner belief to get through it and rise up to and above the challenge.

If CJ was under the same intense scrutiny I reckon he would be up on a few more charges along with some of our other players!! However the results from their actions are never as severe. If CJ charges at someone sure they gonna fall down, but if JB does it then there is a bleedin' great hole in the ground.

Again this is assuming JB gets the nod, Vossy has backed him but at the end of the day it is not his decision and a lot can happen in 2 years!!

You make a good point.

With JB, it's more the perception than the reality (not the the Umpires or the Tribunal have targeted him at all ;) )

Because of his size, "image" and record, Browny probably needs to exert more self-control than many other players.

Which is kind of my point.

The trick for a player like Browny is to "tone down" the perception without compromising his 110% approach to every contest. A very delicate juggling act indeed.

I sincerely hope that in the next season and a half, JB can achieve this....in whick case, I believe he would make an excellent captain.

The salient point is that just being the "annointed one" won't make this little juggling act any easier.

It all depends on how he responds.

Right now (like if Vossy suddenly announced his retirement tomorrow) I would prefer a Luke Power but as I said before, I am happy to reconsider at the pertinent time.

I'm sure we would all agree, that a lot can happen between now and September 2006.

Roylion said:
Simon Black would make an excellent captain, and would be my choice when Voss steps downs at the end of 2006.

Agree 100%. But I think this would depend on whether they're looking for someone younger or not.

Tezmyster said:
Can I ask why Leppitsch wouldn't get it.

Too old Tez. They want someone who'll be skipper for at least 5 years. Lep will be 30 or 31 by the time Vossy steps down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back