Our next CEO and president

Lockhart regarding the point you made about cd saving the coach from himself are you able to expand On that a bit more. No drama if you don’t feel it’s appropriate.
I have no problem expanding on it. Will do so by recalling a scene or two in Shanghai in 2016.

First night we arrived my colleague and I were invited to join a rather large dinner held in a Sichuan restaurant on the harbour side of the Bund. The food was fantastic. I gorged on it so much it affected my intestinal system for the next couple of days. Not my cerebral system however. Nothing could mess with that as I was concentrating hard and there was so much to concentrate on.

The dinner set-up consisted of several long tables, and guests included the Flying Boomerangs and their minders who included Gavin Wanganeen who was setting out in earnest on his art career, Matthew Stokes etc.

It was a great night.

My colleague and I sat three in from the end of one table. That means there were four seats between us and the window. In those seats sat Hinkley (next to me), Darren Burgess (next to him), Chris Davies (across from Hinkley) and Tara MacLeod. The four of them had their heads together all night. I think I ate all their food.

It was clear to me the effort Chris Davies was putting in, focus on Hinkley.

Don’t forget that this was immediately after the internal review that had pinned Hinkley to the wall, embarrassed the heck out of him, annoyed the heck out of him ... yet had driven him to make an effort to learn and improve.

It was clear that Hinkley was totally out of place in an international setting ... but Chris was in his element and was doing all he could to ‘educate’ Hinkley that he had to adapt to the bigger picture. It seemed to be working.

KT made a point of taking the seat next to my colleague, across from me, incidentally, and talked his head off for two hours, so excited was he about the way Shanghai, Cathay Pacific etc. were going. KT in 2016 is not the same as the 2018-2019 version of KT. He has been flogged to death by a wet tram ticket called Koch.

Ken H. asked me one polite question during the entire dinner. No, he didn’t ask any impolite question, just the one routine polite one.

I asked him about the Draft. He told me that if Essendon hadn’t taken Ridley he would be on our list and we wouldn’t have Drew, with Atley in between. I asked him if Parfitt was ever under consideration. “Nah.”

Two nights later was the main event in the main function hall of the Portman Ritz Carlton. Ken stayed off virtually on his own. I went up, put a hand on his shoulder, invited him to the Races in Hong Kong. “Give yourself a break, mate,” I said, “Come to Hong Kong for a week with your wife. I’ll make sure you’re looked after.” Ken said “Thanks.”

Chris Davies came up to my colleague and me and talked Club, football, Charlie Dixon dropping his head in the marking contest, etc etc etc for an hour.

Terrific first impression. Compared to out-of-place Ken - chalk and cheese.

I could go on, but I hope that’s enough.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Our next CEO needs to have great Business Acumen our President I am more than happy to be a Football bloke, but needs to be an ambitious Football head! Would prefer a CEO from Sydney, President if not Tredrea why not Tom Harley?
Already CEO at Sydney...

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
You would listen to five out of six PAFC fanatics dropping dead?
I don't expect you all would reach to that point. I imagine a long series, with every episode being full of drama, passion, conflict, and, ultimately, compromise.

In a sense, five would "drop dead," but in quote marks. Next meeting, everything would begin from scratch all over again.

The best of all, however, is that the winner would always be Port. It would be the best show ever!

I don't expect you all would reach to that point. I imagine a long series, with every episode being full of drama, passion, conflict, and, ultimately, compromise.

In a sense, five would "drop dead," but in quote marks. Next meeting, everything would begin from scratch all over again.

The best of all, however, is that the winner would always be Port. It would be the best show ever!
I prefer the Agatha Christie version ... one fanatic keeling over per meeting, captured on video. But that’s me. Provided I am last / right man sitting.

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I have no problem expanding on it. Will do so by recalling a scene or two in Shanghai in 2016.

First night we arrived my colleague and I were invited to join a rather large dinner held in a Sichuan restaurant on the harbour side of the Bund. The food was fantastic. I gorged on it so much it affected my intestinal system for the next couple of days. Not my cerebral system however. Nothing could mess with that as I was concentrating hard and there was so much to concentrate on.

The dinner set-up consisted of several long tables, and guests included the Flying Boomerangs and their minders who included Gavin Wanganeen who was setting out in earnest on his art career, Matthew Stokes etc.

It was a great night.

My colleague and I sat three in from the end of one table. That means there were four seats between us and the window. In those seats sat Hinkley (next to me), Darren Burgess (next to him), Chris Davies (across from Hinkley) and Tara MacLeod. The four of them had their heads together all night. I think I ate all their food.

Don’t forget that this was immediately after the internal review that had pinned Hinkley to the wall, embarrassed the heck out of him, annoyed the heck out of him ... yet had driven him to make an effort to learn and improve.

It was clear that Hinkley was totally out of place in an international setting ... but Chris was in his element and was doing all he could to ‘educate’ Hinkley that he had to adapt to the bigger picture. It seemed to be working.

KT made a point of taking the seat next to my colleague, across from me, incidentally, and talked his head off for two hours, so excited was he about the way Shanghai, Cathay Pacific etc. were going. KT in 2016 is not the same as the 2018-2019 version of KT. He has been flogged to death by a wet tram ticket called Koch.

Ken H. asked me one polite question during the entire dinner. No, he didn’t ask any impolite question, just the one routine polite one.

I asked him about the Draft. He told me that if Essendon hadn’t taken Ridley he would be on our list and we wouldn’t have Drew, with Atley in between. I asked him if Parfitt was ever under consideration. “Nah.”

Two nights later was the main event in the main function hall of the Portman Ritz Carlton. Ken stayed off virtually on his own. I went up, put a hand on his shoulder, invited him to the Races in Hong Kong. “Give yourself a break, mate,” I said, “Come to Hong Kong for a week with your wife. I’ll make sure you’re looked after.” Ken said “Thanks.”

Chris Davies came up to my colleague and me and talked Club, football, Charlie Dixon dropping his head in the marking contest, etc etc etc for an hour.

Thanks for sharing that Lockhart. Interesting what you said about KT as he does look tired.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

It was a great night.

There was a tough internal review in 2016, and we renewed Hinkley's contract in 2017!?

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

That's all we need to know about Ken's player assessment capability :oops::(

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You get the feeling all 3 k's are just hanging on to be here for the 150th then after that their off. But they should be gone now. Ceo is a tough gig needs to be someone with business mind and footy heart.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
KT should continue, I think he's a gun and done a world of good for the club.
Obviously the Ken decision may turn out wrong but it's not an exact science.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd also not be against our next President actually getting paid for the role. Nothing stupid, but at least making it worth their while.

In fact there's an argument that all board members should get some remuneration. I sometimes get the feeling that Board members are there because they have the attitude that they are doing the Club a favour. ie I'm giving you my time and "expertise" for free, so you should be thankful. Paying board members would have a 2 fold effect in my opinion. Firstly, I believe it would magnify what particular skill set was needed and what a particular person would bring to the table. There would be more accountability if they were getting paid. Secondly, I think it would open it up to more candidates. Not just those who feel they can afford the time. I know there are several clubs in the league that pay their board members. It's not uncommon.

Back