Our next CEO and president

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd also not be against our next President actually getting paid for the role. Nothing stupid, but at least making it worth their while.

In fact there's an argument that all board members should get some remuneration. I sometimes get the feeling that Board members are there because they have the attitude that they are doing the Club a favour. ie I'm giving you my time and "expertise" for free, so you should be thankful. Paying board members would have a 2 fold effect in my opinion. Firstly, I believe it would magnify what particular skill set was needed and what a particular person would bring to the table. There would be more accountability if they were getting paid. Secondly, I think it would open it up to more candidates. Not just those who feel they can afford the time. I know there are several clubs in the league that pay their board members. It's not uncommon.
Agreed as long as they don't get greedy like our council and government bodies.

I'd also not be against our next President actually getting paid for the role. Nothing stupid, but at least making it worth their while.

In fact there's an argument that all board members should get some remuneration. I sometimes get the feeling that Board members are there because they have the attitude that they are doing the Club a favour. ie I'm giving you my time and "expertise" for free, so you should be thankful. Paying board members would have a 2 fold effect in my opinion. Firstly, I believe it would magnify what particular skill set was needed and what a particular person would bring to the table. There would be more accountability if they were getting paid. Secondly, I think it would open it up to more candidates. Not just those who feel they can afford the time. I know there are several clubs in the league that pay their board members. It's not uncommon.
The idea has merit. And then we could dock their pay and use it to pay Ken out - win/win ;)

Paying board members at Port will have the same effect as elsewhere. You think it'll encourage people who run their own businesses and so on to give up a bit of their time, and get new blood, new thought into the board. People at the cutting edge of business who are used to being creative and seeking out every dollar and chance of success.

Yet so many boards with director allowances just end up having semi-retired former execs and public servants who like a bit of regular income coming in between their rounds of golf.

IMO the advantage of unpaid board members at Port is that you are far more likely to get people who give a s**t about Port in those roles.

There might be less concern for this if the membership elected all of our board members, but we don't

As long as we have a board and a president that want to run the club only as a business, with no passion for the PAFC and they see this. (57,769 members) they feel they are doing a good job, that makes us franchise MK 2.
Not bad for a little club punching above it's weight.

Paying board members at Port will have the same effect as elsewhere. You think it'll encourage people who run their own businesses and so on to give up a bit of their time, and get new blood, new thought into the board. People at the cutting edge of business who are used to being creative and seeking out every dollar and chance of success.

Yet so many boards with director allowances just end up having semi-retired former execs and public servants who like a bit of regular income coming in between their rounds of golf.

IMO the advantage of unpaid board members at Port is that you are far more likely to get people who give a **** about Port in those roles.

There might be less concern for this if the membership elected all of our board members, but we don't
We would never pay the amount money that would actually make a difference for those we would like to bring in.

Amanda Vanstone for Chairwoman!

Kev Foley CEO!

Whatever happens it should be a staggered transition.

Out: Koch
In: Tony Cochrane

In all seriousness he's a very smart operator.

I would like to see Warren Tredrea get involved somehow. Tredders is often a voice of reason and he has the passion and pedigree to do what is best for Port.

You'd think he'd get on the board at some stage, either by appointment or by putting himself forward to the members.

Hitaf Rasheed would be my pick for CEO.

Board needs a complete overhaul. Wonder if Bucky is interested in coming back on as Chairman?

I would love to see Hitaf Rasheed involved with the club again in some capacity. Very smart lady and would have the best interests of the club at heart.
I heard an interview with Bucky not long ago (might have been one of Rick's podcasts) and a very good interview it was too. But I recall that there was a question about him getting involved with the club in some official capacity but he didn't want that, said he was happy to support the club more from the sidelines these days.

Reading about Aston Villas return to the premier league.

Sacked coach mid season.

Led by lifelong Villa supporting manager and lifelong Villa supporting captain.

In this check book age there is still something to be said for a player and a coach that bleeds for the club.

Do we have a player, coach or senior admin that bleeds for Port to the level of a Choco, Tredrea, Giniver, Logan, Wilson etc.?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hitaf Rasheed would be my pick for CEO.

Board needs a complete overhaul. Wonder if Bucky is interested in coming back on as Chairman?
I would take Hitaf, but if Adelaide get the 2026 Commonwealth Games, could see her as CEO of the organizing committee. The vote is in September. Should tell KT to go and apply for that job at some point.

David Hutton
The Wakelin boy that's doing well in business
Kevin Foley

Kevin Foley for President?

Haven't we been there before? After Kochie was appointed and during his honeymoon period many of us were reflecting on how lucky we were that Kevin Foley didn't get the job. These days I am not so sure.

If we are going to have a TV personality and a media connection why not Rebecca Morse, at least she sticks it to the Crow supporters on a nightly basis.

David Hutton
The Wakelin boy that's doing well in business
Kevin Foley
Darryl Wakelin as president might be an option if we want someone with an AFL profile and has experience at running businesses, if we can't get a heavy hitter businessman to be president.

IMO the advantage of unpaid board members at Port is that you are far more likely to get people who give a **** about Port in those roles.

Yep.

If someone is a good director and wants to get paid for it, they'll go somewhere they can get paid a lot more than we can afford if they're any good.

We're relying on people who already have a vested emotional interest in the club or the sport.

Meaningless until we can elect the board though. They aren't beholden to anyone bar the AFL, who don't give a * as long as we're solvent.

Losing Fiacchi sucks because he's someone who would have eventually fought hard for our independence if given the opportunity to do so.

Losing Fiacchi sucks because he's someone who would have eventually fought hard for our independence if given the opportunity to do so.

Still is. Guys like Fiacchi don't just disappear.

Tredders, Fiacchi and a football department boss of the ilk of Neil Balme would do me. I know Tredders would never do it, but at least he and George know what it takes to be successful and are Port Adelaide through and through. Our next president and CEO need to be Port Adelaide people if we want our club back.

I once had a very interesting but short debate with Hitaf when she was working at the club. We had opposite views on the matter of the club that we should be. Her belief was consistent with the direction of the club at that time and that was "we've got to get away from the Magpies stigma" because it is "killing this club" and now I also remember "Josh Francou makes a good point" about the Magpies stigma where he grew up hating it and how challenging it was for him etc... At that time of her tenure the club were convinced that to grow we had to change the perception of the SA community about the club and in their view that meant to distance itself from the old Port Adelaide black and white magpies (and that did not mean the PAMFC). So along come the yearly jumper competitions, the Planet Teal, the declaration that teal was the most popular colour amongst Port supporters, and propaganda as such. So I would prefer than no employee from that era ever works at the club again.

Last edited:
I once had a very interesting but short debate with Hitaaf one time when she was working at the club. We had opposite views. I disputed that "we've got to get away from the Magpies stigma" because it was "killing this club". Let's move on from the people of that era.
Sorry, I don't follow. What was her position?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back