Remove this Banner Ad

Ford Fairlane

Feb 21, 2002
Port Adelaide 5015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
If I had a free hit then Clarkson, Simpson or Buckley.

I don't know enough about all the assistant coaches but the best applicant from any of those three clubs because they play footy the way I like it.

If we have to look within then Schofield. Monty and Bassett are too defensive system focused for mine. You need that capacity but you have to allow room for creativity to enhance your scoring power. That was the balance that made John Cahill such a great coach.

Schofield strikes me as having that balance and is probably the best communicator of the group.

TeeKray

Mar 1, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't like the 'assistant from a successful club' route. That's what landed us with Hinkley. A lot of those guys are just in the right place at the right time. But pretty much every club hires from that pool which means every premiership coach ends up coming from that pool which reinforces the philosophy.

I think more than anything it should be a personality type you are looking for. You want someone who is ruthless and promotes high standards but is also a great communicator and has natural empathy for the players he is coaching. After that, you look for the more technical aspects from your assistants.

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I don't like the 'assistant from a successful club' route. That's what landed us with Hinkley. A lot of those guys are just in the right place at the right time. But pretty much every club hires from that pool which means every premiership coach ends up coming from that pool which reinforces the philosophy.

I think more than anything it should be a personality type you are looking for. You want someone who is ruthless and promotes high standards but is also a great communicator and has natural empathy for the players he is coaching. After that, you look for the more technical aspects from your assistants.
Bomber Thompson assistants were all duds but those under Clarkson have worked out more often that not.

Ford Fairlane

Feb 21, 2002
Port Adelaide 5015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies

You'll notice I didn't nominate anyone from Richmond or Geelong.

Richmond play a specific style that they have adapted a list to beautifully. But it took a long time and may not be readily transferable.

Geelong are a bit different again and get a huge advantage from their home ground. They recruit well but now fail in finals. I'm not sure their physical approach is as relevant to modern football as it could be.

West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn have a style that is transferable and sustainable. That's what I want us to establish. That is Port Adelaide football.

TeeKray

Mar 1, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You'll notice I didn't nominate anyone from Richmond or Geelong.

Richmond play a specific style that they have adapted a list to beautifully. But it took a long time and may not be readily transferable.

Geelong are a bit different again and get a huge advantage from their home ground. They recruit well but now fail in finals. I'm not sure their physical approach is as relevant to modern football as it could be.

West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn have a style that is transferable and sustainable. That's what I want us to establish. That is Port Adelaide football.
Fair enough.

I guess I probably see us as coming from a bit further back than others. I think we're further away than just an astute tactical mastermind. I think the whole culture and standards of the club have been allowed to degenerate since 2004 to the point where we need someone who will totally flip the place on its head culturally ala what Clarkson did when he got to Hawthorn or Roos did when he got to Sydney.

Ford Fairlane

Feb 21, 2002
Port Adelaide 5015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Fair enough.

I guess I probably see us as coming from a bit further back than others. I think we're further away than just an astute tactical mastermind. I think the whole culture and standards of the club have been allowed to degenerate since 2004 to the point where we need someone who will totally flip the place on its head culturally ala what Clarkson did when he got to Hawthorn or Roos did when he got to Sydney.
And that is all true. But I didnt say anything about a tactical mastermind. I want the best applicant from a team that plays, if not exactly a bulletproof style, one that is strong, consistent and successful.

Within that framework of course exists the need for a robust and supportive culture and successful standards to be adhered to.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
which Ken will you choose, every Ken has good points and bad points, you decide

Ken Cunningham
Kenny Rogers
Kenny G
Ken Norton
Ken Rosewall
Kenny Everitt
Ken Jeong
Ken Wyatt
Ken Sutcliffe
Ken Hinkley
Ken, the doll
Ken Judge
Ken Duncan
Ken Oath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grave Danger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Ken Cunningham
Kenny Rogers
Kenny G
Ken Norton
Ken Rosewall
Kenny Everitt
Ken Jeong
Ken Wyatt
Ken Sutcliffe
Ken Hinkley
Ken, the doll
Ken Judge
Ken Duncan
Ken Oath

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
Aug 30, 2004
driving a straddle carrier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports

Ken Cunningham
Kenny Rogers
Kenny G
Ken Norton
Ken Rosewall
Kenny Everitt
Ken Jeong
Ken Wyatt
Ken Sutcliffe
Ken Hinkley
Ken, the doll
Ken Judge
Ken Duncan
Ken Oath
Kenny Everett

Kenny_Everettcool_1373826f.jpg

Even dead for 25 years he couldn't do a worse job than the incumbent.

Last edited:

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Our club has FA smarts about coaching contracts. How we could not learn from the Chocko "mid season renewal clause" debacle to shitting the bed over a mid contract offer on Hinkley from GC is indicative of the gormless management of our club.
corporate amnesia.

none of the 2009 board members, ceo or football ops manger, were around in 2017.

we fans were there in 2009 and still were there in 2017, when the current mob made the rubbish 2 year extension with the 3rd year if you make the finals condition.

Remove this Banner Ad