• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

i want ABK, anyone but Ken, if i was to to give a brief description of Ken as a coach it would be he's an OK coach, good at bringing the team together but tactically he's terrible and would be one of the easiest coaches to coach against, at the moment we have a pretty good list for the next 3 years and i dont trust Ken to take us any further than where we are right now

For those who are calling for Bassett, consider this:

If Ken goes and we get Dew, or Barker, or whoever else from outside the club, then we still have Bassett as an assistant. We have the ability to poach the cream of the crop of assistants around the league to fill the vacancy in the coaches box.

If we promote from within with Bassett, then we find ourselves having to find a new defence coach to add to the box. We haven't filled the vacancy in the coaches box, we've just moved it. The field of coaches we'd be able to pick from to replace Bassett would be of a significantly lower standard than the field of coaches we'd be able to pick from to replace Hinkley.

So would you rather have Dew with support from Bassett, or would you rather have Bassett with support from either a freshly retired assistant with no experience or some out of contract line coach whose current club didnt rate him highly enough to bother extending his contact earlier in the year?
Nicks can replace Bassett as backs coach but I'd rather have Dew as coach with Bassett as backs coach.

i want ABK, anyone but Ken, if i was to to give a brief description of Ken as a coach it would be he's an OK coach, good at bringing the team together but tactically he's terrible and would be one of the easiest coaches to coach against, at the moment we have a pretty good list for the next 3 years and i dont trust Ken to take us any further than where we are right now
That pretty well sums it up , I know of not 1 , not even 1 fellow supporter that has faith in KH taking us to the promised land , and with good reason.

If Ken goes and we get Dew, or Barker, or whoever else from outside the club, then we still have Bassett as an assistant. We have the ability to poach the cream of the crop of assistants around the league to fill the vacancy in the coaches box.

If we promote from within with Bassett, then we find ourselves having to find a new defence coach to add to the box. We haven't filled the vacancy in the coaches box, we've just moved it. The field of coaches we'd be able to pick from to replace Bassett would be of a significantly lower standard than the field of coaches we'd be able to pick from to replace Hinkley.

So would you rather have Dew with support from Bassett, or would you rather have Bassett with support from either a freshly retired assistant with no experience or some out of contract line coach whose current club didnt rate him highly enough to bother extending his contact earlier in the year?
You're over thinking, if Bassett is the best man for the job he should get it, end of story.

I'm keen on both Dew and Bassett as head coach, but I disagree with the options you've presented if Bassett gets the top job.

Martin Mattner, for example, would be an excellent (and probably realistic) option for defence coach.

Wasn't part of our deal to get the reserves side in the SANFL that we weren't permitted to poach SANFL coaches?
Shirley not.

Nothing said about it in the club's official statement when the deal was announced. Not a coach, but we did get Shane Grimm from Sturt last year.

SANFL 2016: Shane Grimm leaves Sturt to join Port Adelaide Magpies
Double Blues’ football manager Shane Grimm has been appointed Port’s new next generation academy and SANFL football manager.

Mid last year I wrote that the first time I had doubts about Ken was Rd 23 2014 when he didnt select Harvey to help out Lobbe against Sandilands and the second time was after the 2014 season ended and they had the The Chosen Few doco re interviews with the 18 coaches and Ken at about from 26.20 for the next 20 seconds in the video, he says he doesn't know how long he can last and handle the stress and wearing him down - that is, he has doubts about himself. He has doubts about himself, ergo well I also had some after seeing that.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...o-our-next-flag.1135967/page-10#post-45181980

It's also massively telling when that highly successful coach from the 80s or whatever says 'I've coached 500 games and I can count on one hand the players I've become friends with.'

Compare that to Hinkley who would be on chum terms with more than half the squad, and who definitely plays favourites and matey-mcmate-ship with numerous players, to the detriment of the team.

Turns out the knocks on him when he first got the job - great assistant, but too close to the players to make a successful senior coach, doesn't have the distance to be ruthless, etc - were all pretty spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon alot of the blame should be aimed at assistant coaches. Keep ken get some new assistant coaches would be my first choice.

Its obvious kens days are numbered if he is not sacked end of this year he almost certainly will be at the end of 2020 as the rumor is 2021 is a trigger year of his contract so the board can sack at the end of 2020 without having to pay out 2021. So who do we go for next? To me there isnt a stand out big name. So an assistant maybe but who its a decision we need to get right.

Its obvious kens days are numbered if he is not sacked end of this year he almost certainly will be at the end of 2020 as the rumor is 2021 is a trigger year of his contract so the board can sack at the end of 2020 without having to pay out 2021. So who do we go for next? To me there isnt a stand out big name. So an assistant maybe but who its a decision we need to get right.

Alistar Clarkson???

Back