• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would sound out Chris Scott. He may have landed on his feet at Geelong, but he sticks with the program of mixing big-bodied and hard running players with a physical attacking gameplan, supported by big strong KPPs. He is also happy to play additional talls where they can add to the side.
I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy to have him as coach, I'd just have to read transcripts of all his pressers, not sure I could handle that much screen time of him ;)

He would never of got an extension that's for sure. Hinkley would have been almost cleaning out his desk after not making the GF in 2014.

Ha! It's funny coz it's true.

Our behaviours since 14 haven’t changed. Poor kicking for goal, teams get away, we fight back for honourable losses, we are the pure victim. Need a shrink

He would never of got an extension that's for sure. Hinkley would have been almost cleaning out his desk after not making the GF in 2014.
Hinkley should have had his arse kicked out the door directly after the 2017 EF Final loss to West Coast when he was making noises about going to Gold Coast. Instead, the Board extended his contract and now Hinkley knows he's untouchable for the next 2 seasons after this one, all the while watching his bank balance fatten up for retirement.

How much do we read into the Suns success being down to Stuart Dew?

They have elite juniors but an average list overall. Their facilities are poor. They’ve had a huge investment in coaching and welfare.

They have really out performed expectations thus far.

Guess I’m saying, how much of a loss will missing out on Dew be?

What success? They've won three games, all of which were by under a goal. They've been lucky, not good.

What success? They've won three games, all of which were by under a goal. They've been lucky, not good.

And they play a drudgerous Sydney-lite gameplan that makes our style last year look like peak 2017 Richmond.

I would sound out Chris Scott. He may have landed on his feet at Geelong, but he sticks with the program of mixing big-bodied and hard running players with a physical attacking gameplan, supported by big strong KPPs. He is also happy to play additional talls where they can add to the side.

Was it Chris Scott that (somehow) lost out to Primus?

Yeap, all this talk of Chris Scott is bringing back ptsd memories of constantly refreshing the relevant thread on here way back when, only to find out the board had chosen Primus, when it was pretty universally acknowledged by most wise heads at the time that Scott was a better fit for about a dozen different reasons.

Sliding doors eat yo heart out.

And they play a drudgerous Sydney-lite gameplan that makes our style last year look like peak 2017 Richmond.

And that does * all for their development anyway. The reason Brisbane look good this year is because even when they were shite Fagan had them playing to a winning gameplan to get them used to it rather than just playing defensively trying to limit damage. Now they're reaping the rewards. If you only ever play to limit damage, you'll only ever learn how to play to limit damage.

I'd probably take Dew over Hinkley just for the sake of trying something different to break up the stagnation, but I certainly don't think we've missed out on some coaching genius in not picking him up when he was available.

Story is that Scott was the recommendation from the selection committee, but Duncanson didnt think the supporter base would accept him sacking a Williams and then rejecting arguably our most popular ever captain for a young unproven outsider.

No i don't think many Vic coaches would want to come here but if we were to feel out some potential coaches, that would be the order of preference for me. if we were to look internal I wouldn't mind Schofield, Montgomery or even Francou.

Any Victorian coach would love to come to Port Adelaide. What's the alternative - coach Sandringham? Of all the AFL coaches right now, only one has coached another club and that is laughable. Getting paid $450,000 to live in Adelaide and to deal with cabbage leaves like KG and Rucci is a dream come true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Victorian coach would love to come to Port Adelaide. What's the alternative - coach Sandringham? Of all the AFL coaches right now, only one has coached another club and that is laughable. Getting paid $450,000 to live in Adelaide and to deal with cabbage leaves like KG and Rucci is a dream come true.
Coach a Victorian side that is not in a fish bowl environment. (the alternative)

Not uproot his family from their families and friends, disrupting education his children may be currently doing.

You can add the expectation from supporters in a two team town situation.

Just a couple of small samples why they would prefer to stay in Vic.

Ken is in Adelaide because he was never going to be a head coach if he didn't take his opportunity.

Last edited:
Story is that Scott was the recommendation from the selection committee, but Duncanson didnt think the supporter base would accept him sacking a Williams and then rejecting arguably our most popular ever captain for a young unproven outsider.

Funny how we ended up with old unproven outsider instead.

Maybe funny is the wrong word.

Big Bob would probably laugh at these Hinkley supporters trying to justify his record

Remove the word "probably" and you are right on the money. Also add Fox Williams.

Coach a Victorian side that is not in a fish bowl environment.

The whole fishbowl thing is bunk. You never hear about it anywhere else in world sport. I think it is something Adelaide people have adopted to sound like they are vicious piranhas. The family and friends thing is nonsense too. People move all the time for jobs that pay $100,000 a year. AFL coaches are on much more. These guys and their families aren't hothouse flowers. If you're a successful coach like Clarkson or Buckley then moving anywhere is a tough call but for a Richardson, Bolton, Goodwin or Brad Scott - not a problem.

The whole fishbowl thing is bunk. You never hear about it anywhere else in world sport. I think it is something Adelaide people have adopted to sound like they are vicious piranhas. The family and friends thing is nonsense too. People move all the time for jobs that pay $100,000 a year. AFL coaches are on much more. These guys and their families aren't hothouse flowers. If you're a successful coach like Clarkson or Buckley then moving anywhere is a tough call but for a Richardson, Bolton, Goodwin or Brad Scott - not a problem.
Each person's situation would be different, okay for some but nor others but a Victorian would rather coach in his home town i'm sure but everone has their price I suppose.

Oh and what's with your avatar ?

Each person's situation would be different, okay for some but nor others but a Victorian would rather coach in his home town i'm sure but everone has their price I suppose.

Oh and what's with your avatar ?

If you put yourself out there as an AFL coach you become a citizen of the game. You can't look a 17 year old kid in the eye and ask him to leave his parents and family if you can't do the same. As you can see, there are very few second chances for AFL coaches, if Port Adelaide comes knocking - you answer the door.

Hinkley will ruin our 150th celebrations.

Small edit.
Hinkley AND Koch will ruin our 150th celebrations.

I remember our ,100th celebrations. (I'm that old already!!!).
I was in the Port cheer squad. Finish minor premiers,

If you put yourself out there as an AFL coach you become a citizen of the game. You can't look a 17 year old kid in the eye and ask him to leave his parents and family if you can't do the same. As you can see, there are very few second chances for AFL coaches, if Port Adelaide comes knocking - you answer the door.
I recall we tried once before and nobody wanted to come, nobody of note any way. No established respected coach wanted to come to Port, that's why SA teams tend to struggle, all the good coaches are interstate.

I recall we tried once before and nobody wanted to come, nobody of note any way. No established respected coach wanted to come to Port, that's why SA teams tend to struggle, all the good coaches are interstate.

Different time - different board. These days, completely different story. In fact since then two Port Adelaide assistants have had senior gigs.

As for the avatar, if you don't get it - well...

Different time - different board. These days, completely different story. In fact since then two Port Adelaide assistants have had senior gigs.

As for the avatar, if you don't get it - well...
Clarckson and Richardson, you are correct but where, back in Victoria not Adelaide.

Okay I get the Avatar thing, just hard to look at.

All I'm saying is that Adelaide should be a very attractive destination for an AFL coach. Great place to live, very good schools (free tuition, say no more), the media are marshmallows, both clubs have very slick boards and pay well, you get interstate media every second week and the players like being here. There are very few genuine negatives to coaching in Adelaide.

Back